Help Identify This Meade Telescope

candy

Apr 18, 2009, 2:12:35 PM4/18/09
x- posted alt.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

If there is another group I should post to please recommend.

I found a Meade telescope with tripod in the trash but I can not
locate a model number to identify it. I know nothing about telescopes.
It says Saturn by Meade on the "barrel." On one of the "lenses" it
says Meade MH9mm and elsewhere it says D=114mm F==1000mm f/ 8.8 and
that is all I can find. I did do some looking and the scope appears to
resemble very much a Meade DS-2000 like the one on the page below:

http://infiniteelectronix.com/?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=7340

The barrel on the one that I found is black and not silver like the
one in the picture. In fact all of the pictures that I saw for the
2000 series appear to be silver. If it is one of the 2000 series how
do I identify which one? The scope I found also had the Meade Autostar
attachment. TIA

Christiaan Huygens

Apr 20, 2009, 3:35:06 PM4/20/09

"candy" <phae...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> If there is another group I should post to please recommend.

This one is as good as any on Usenet. Astromart.com, Cloudynights.com and
Yahoo groups have good web based forums.

> On one of the "lenses" it says Meade MH9mm.
Thats a 9mm eyepiece which will result in magnification of about 111x in
your scope. You should also get your hands on a second inexpensive eyepiece
like the MA26 that probably also came with it. It will be lower power (38x)
and easier to begin with.

> and elsewhere it says D=114mm F==1000mm f/ 8.8 and

Those numbers are the diameter of the primary (big) mirror (about 4.5") the
focal length (the distance at where light reflected from the primary mirror
converges) and the focal ratio (the ratio of those two measurements).

> resemble very much a Meade DS-2000 like the one on the page below:

It is very similar to the DS-2114, the color variance could indicate an
earlier version or a variation for a particular retailer, etc. The DS-2114
manual should be accurate in most respects for that scope, except perhaps
some of the autostar features.

Let us know how it goes.

Ed T