LX-200 pointing issues and alignment issues

Stephan Shemenski

Dec 26, 2010, 12:37:19 AM12/26/10
I recently pulled my LX-200 8 inch out of storage only to find that it
is having some issues. Namely when I try to preform a polar alignment,
it seems to select stars that are far below the horizon. However, I
can get the scope to move back to Polaris, or at least when I am
simulating polaris in the house.

When I tried to align the scope last night it consistently pointed the
scope down into the base of the telescope. I am wondering if I ma
having either counting errors or I might not have everything set up
correctly.

Any thoughts or advice? My personal email is at AK8...@gmail.com

Thanks

Steve

GB

Dec 26, 2010, 11:03:59 AM12/26/10

Did you check your observing site in the setup? May be your telescope
is set to a site in southern hemisphere or the clock/date are not
setup properly.

Stephan Shemenski

Dec 27, 2010, 7:12:40 PM12/27/10
> Any thoughts or advice? My personal email is at AK8E...@gmail.com
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve

I did check my observing site. It is correct here in Tucson, Arizona.
I also checked the date / time and had that to within one second. I
also checked to make sure I was in polar mount instead of ALTAZ. It
just seems like the dec counter is not providing enough counts.
Because the scope slews past the star and points to things that are
below the horizon or worse yet it just points at the base like it is
in park but it is not in park.

However I can manually slew to a star and with the rough polar
alignment I was able to track things at the correct rate.

Any advice is welcome on this.

Regards,

Steve

GB

Dec 27, 2010, 10:05:53 PM12/27/10

>I did check my observing site. It is correct here in Tucson, Arizona.
>I also checked the date / time and had that to within one second. I
>also checked to make sure I was in polar mount instead of ALTAZ.

Hum, you wrote that you were setup in polar mount instead of AltAz,
that would mean that you use your telescope on a wedge instead of the
fork, is it the situation? Because if you use it only on his fork, you
have to set it in ALTAZ not polar (on a wedge).

lab~rat >:-)

Feb 2, 2011, 9:58:19 AM2/2/11
On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 22:05:53 -0500, GB <nos...@nospam.com> puked:

And if you have it on a wedge, you might want to check to see if the
declination is set correctly on it. Maybe a few degrees off?
--
lab~rat >:-)
Do you want polite or do you want sincere?