What card is it?

pozz

Dec 3, 2005, 12:26:32 PM12/3/05
I know, there are many many different types of smartcards available
in the market: memory smartcards, microprocessor smartcards and so on.
It's quite impossible to understand what is the card just looking at it
or reading the ATR. But I want to try.

I need to purchase other smartcards to use in a system. Unfortunately I can't
contact the original manufacturer of the system so I don't know what is the
type of smartcard used.

I can only test some smartcards used in the system. I hoped they were SLE4442
but I think not. In fact, when I read the ATR using a smartcard reader for
SLE4442, I read 8034FFFF or 80348034 and not A2131091.

What kind of smartcard they can be. They are completely white, without
texts or drawings...

Sylvain

Dec 3, 2005, 1:22:30 PM12/3/05
pozz wrote on 03/12/2005 18:26:
> I know, there are many many different types of smartcards available
> in the market: memory smartcards, microprocessor smartcards and so on.

I know there are *2* kind of cards, those with a µproc and the others.

> It's quite impossible to understand what is the card just looking at it

do you usually /understand/ a computer, a book, whatever, just looking
at it ?

> or reading the ATR

that a better source of information

> But I want to try.

great!

> I need to purchase other smartcards to use in a system. Unfortunately I
> can't contact the original manufacturer of the system so I don't know
> what is the type of smartcard used.

that's a pity!

and of course, he didn't left you some specifications, some detailled
purchase orders, a name of /the/ system, ...

> I can only test some smartcards used in the system.
> I hoped they were SLE4442 but I think not.

meanwhile, if you're mainly interested in a name (instead of
capabilities) you can use that name ...

> In fact, when I read the ATR using a smartcard reader for
> SLE4442, I read 8034FFFF or 80348034 and not A2131091.

a /reader for SLE4442/ ?? what is that ?
why are you expecting for A2131091 only ?
are you sure to read an ATR (none of provided values is an ATR) or just
an id ? did you get it with a contact reader or contactless ?

> What kind of smartcard they can be.

well, you've got it, a card with µproc or w/o.

> They are completely white, without
> texts or drawings...

it happens, but /the truth is elsewhere/ ... and usually in the chip.

Sylvain.

pozz

Dec 4, 2005, 3:50:19 AM12/4/05
Sylvain ha scritto:

> pozz wrote on 03/12/2005 18:26:
>
>> I know, there are many many different types of smartcards available
>> in the market: memory smartcards, microprocessor smartcards and so on.
>
> I know there are *2* kind of cards, those with a µproc and the others.

Yes, you are right :)

>> It's quite impossible to understand what is the card just looking at it
>
> do you usually /understand/ a computer, a book, whatever, just looking
> at it ?

Yes, you are right again :)

[...]

>> I need to purchase other smartcards to use in a system. Unfortunately
>> I can't contact the original manufacturer of the system so I don't know
>> what is the type of smartcard used.
>
> that's a pity!
>
> and of course, he didn't left you some specifications, some detailled
> purchase orders, a name of /the/ system, ...

Nothing... He installed the system at my customer some years ago.
Now the customer contacted me to upgrade this system but he hasn't
any useful informations about smartcards.

>> I can only test some smartcards used in the system. I hoped they were
>> SLE4442 but I think not.
>
> meanwhile, if you're mainly interested in a name (instead of
> capabilities) you can use that name ...

Sorry, I don't understand your sentence...

>> In fact, when I read the ATR using a smartcard reader for
>> SLE4442, I read 8034FFFF or 80348034 and not A2131091.
>
> a /reader for SLE4442/ ?? what is that ?

It's not a commercial reader... it is a smartcard reader I designed
some months ago and that works great with SLE4442. I know what is the
protocol (3 wires) of SLE4442 and it is very simple. A interface a
PIC microcontroller (PIC16F628) with the card on one side, and the PC
with the PIC by RS232 on the other side.
I know that the ATR from a SLE4442 card is A2131091, four bytes. Am I
wrong? All the SLE4442 used return that ATR, without exception.
And this ATR is indicated in the SLE4442 datasheet too.

> why are you expecting for A2131091 only ?

The ATR from SLE4442 is composed by 4 bytes...

> are you sure to read an ATR (none of provided values is an ATR) or just
> an id ?

Why not? A2131091 is the ATR from SLE4442 (the first four bytes of main
memory).

> did you get it with a contact reader or contactless ?

Contact reader and contact smartcard.

Any other recommendations?

Sylvain

Dec 4, 2005, 11:00:11 AM12/4/05
pozz wrote on 04/12/2005 09:50:

>>> I can only test some smartcards used in the system. I hoped they were
>>> SLE4442 but I think not.
>>
>> meanwhile, if you're mainly interested in a name (instead of
>> capabilities) you can use that name ...
>
> Sorry, I don't understand your sentence...

the point was: you were dealing one card and only give us its name; I
would consider some functionalities instead of (just) a name.

according your first post, you need to know which cards are used by a
system to simply order a new batch, is it correct?

the fact is that if noone has a little idea of the actual use of the
card by that system, it will be very hard or impossible to suggest
something.

you indicate that some read cards return "8034FFFF" or "80348034"; if
each end-user cards has a n unique ATR we can imagine that this ATR is
used by a back-office system to uniquely identify the holder, if this is
correct, you should be able to use any card that let you define such a
short ATR.

OOH, if the card is actually used to store some holder information, you
will need to comply with the commands sent by the system (may be a line
analyser could be usefull to log and identify these commands).

> Any other recommendations?

I guess you already contact the Siemens (or Infineon) customer services
to try to identify these 8034???? cards ...

Sylvain.

f...@smartcardamerica.com

Mar 10, 2013, 10:35:02 PM3/10/13