Scooter Soldering Kit Battery

Bob

Feb 9, 2009, 8:07:18 AM2/9/09

I wanna know if I can hot wire my scooter battery to a regular
12v/60w soldering iron to do local soldering repairs without going to the
other fuel/chemical bonding methods for safety ????

I know most soldering kits, you buy or build, usually require a
standard wall socket 120v/60w soldering iron and some 4AA batteries....

So I was wondering what would happen if I used a 12volt SLA 8 amp
battery, since the wall outlet is a about 90watts and the 12volt SLA battery
is also some 96 watts although it drops quickly to an easy 11 volts because
of a burned cell I'm guessing....

The math is there but some other factor is missing, I can't see the
power of a 12volt SLA battery to a mere 4 AAs ...........has anybody ever
tried this with a regular soldering iron for outdoor use???
--
Triad Productions-Fantalla恙EZine~ParaNovel
National Association of Assault Research

GMAN

Feb 9, 2009, 8:37:11 AM2/9/09
In article <aia0p4187emllm0ia...@4ax.com>, vam...@istar.ca wrote:

> I wanna know if I can hot wire my scooter battery to a regular
>12v/60w soldering iron to do local soldering repairs without going to the
>other fuel/chemical bonding methods for safety ????
>
> I know most soldering kits, you buy or build, usually require a
>standard wall socket 120v/60w soldering iron and some 4AA batteries....
>
> So I was wondering what would happen if I used a 12volt SLA 8 amp
>battery, since the wall outlet is a about 90watts and the 12volt SLA battery
>is also some 96 watts although it drops quickly to an easy 11 volts because
>of a burned cell I'm guessing....
>
> The math is there but some other factor is missing, I can't see the
>power of a 12volt SLA battery to a mere 4 AAs ...........has anybody ever
>tried this with a regular soldering iron for outdoor use???
Why not just buy a 12v soldering iron?

Dave Plowman (News)

Feb 9, 2009, 8:52:24 AM2/9/09
Bob <rk...@armageddon.info> wrote:

> I wanna know if I can hot wire my scooter battery to a regular 12v/60w
> soldering iron to do local soldering repairs without going to the other
> fuel/chemical bonding methods for safety ????

> I know most soldering kits, you buy or build, usually require a
> standard wall socket 120v/60w soldering iron and some 4AA batteries....

Eh? Loads of 12 volt soldering irons on the market. Here's one:-

http://store.voltelectronics.com.au/Items/17830?&caSKU=17830&caTitle=60W%2012%20Volt%20Soldering%20Iron

If the scooter is 12 volts the simple way would be to fit a car accessory
socket which the iron plug will fit. But make sure it has a suitable fuse
close to where you wire it into the scooter wiring or battery.

> So I was wondering what would happen if I used a 12volt SLA 8 amp
> battery, since the wall outlet is a about 90watts and the 12volt SLA
> battery is also some 96 watts although it drops quickly to an easy 11
> volts because of a burned cell I'm guessing....

> The math is there but some other factor is missing, I can't see the
> power of a 12volt SLA battery to a mere 4 AAs ...........has anybody
> ever tried this with a regular soldering iron for outdoor use???

Bit difficult to to actually guess what you mean but I'll have a go.

Is the scooter 12 volts? Does it use a SLA battery? Or a sealed car type
one? Because the type of charger needed for true SLA is different from
'sealed' types, and using a charger for the latter will likely fry a true
SLA.

BTW - batteries aren't measure in watts but amp hours. They might also
give a maximum load in amps.

--
*Speak softly and carry a cellular phone *

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

.

Feb 9, 2009, 9:15:34 AM2/9/09
On Feb 9, 5:07 am, Bob <r...@armageddon.info> wrote:
>         I wanna know if I can hot wire my scooter battery to a regular
> 12v/60w soldering iron to do local soldering repairs

Why not? No more current will pass through the heating coil than the
resistance of said coil allows to pass.

If you're worried about damaging the soldering iron, put a 10 amp fuse
in the input wiring. 10 amps should be twice the normal maximum
current draw of the 12 volt iron. (1)

>         I know most soldering kits, you buy or build, usually require a
> standard wall socket 120v/60w soldering iron and some 4AA batteries....

The AA batteries would provide half an amp of current to the heating
coil of the soldering iron, but wouldn't have the ampere hour capacity
to keep supplying the
1/2 an amp the iron draws.

>         So I was wondering what would happen if I used a 12volt SLA 8 amp
> battery, since the wall outlet is a about 90watts

If your wall outlet has a 30 amp breaker or fuse, it will supply 3600
watts, not 90 watts.

> and the 12volt SLA battery
> is also some 96 watts although it drops quickly to an easy 11 volts because
> of a burned cell I'm guessing....

Your battery may be old and could be dehydrated or has sulfated
plates.

Your fully charged 8 ampere hour battery should provide 8 amperes to a
load for
one hour without the voltage dropping below 12 volts. If it quickly
drops to 11 volts under load, it's not fully charged.

The resting voltage of a fully charged SLA battery half an hour after
charging should be 12.8 volts.

You can find battery state of charge charts online which will tell you
what the state of charge of a lead acid battery is, according to
resting voltage.

>         The math is there but some other factor is missing, I can't see the
> power of a 12volt SLA battery to a mere 4 AAs ...........

The missing factor in your understanding seems to be the concept of
*ampere hour capacity*.

> has anybody ever
> tried this with a regular soldering iron for outdoor use???

No, I never tried that, but...

Work out the Ohm's law for your 120 volt soldering iron, or measure
the resistance of the coil and you'll see how many amps it draws from
a 12 volt battery.

The heating coil doesn't know what the source of power is, it just
heats up according to the current it receives.

(1) You might want to research the coefficient of resistance of
nichrome wire to see what the resistance is when the wire gets hot
enough to melt solder.

Who Me?

Feb 9, 2009, 9:24:07 AM2/9/09

"Bob" <rk...@armageddon.info> wrote

> I wanna know if I can hot wire my scooter battery to a regular
> 12v/60w soldering iron to do local soldering repairs

Yes. You should have stopped right there........

> without going to the
> other fuel/chemical bonding methods for safety ????

......as the rest of your post pretty much makes no sense.

Also, for about $5 from Harbor Freight or JC Whitney or similar you can get
a pencil size butane torch.

TOG@Toil

Feb 9, 2009, 11:05:14 AM2/9/09
On 9 Feb, 13:07, Bob <r...@armageddon.info> wrote:
>         I wanna know if I can hot wire my scooter battery to a regular
> 12v/60w soldering iron to do local soldering repairs

I really wouldn't. A scooter battery is so small it'll flatten quickly
(unless you keep it attached to a charger while soldering). Just buy a
proper mains current soldering iron. It's not like they're expensive.

That's the simple answer.

Paul aka Sporty

Feb 9, 2009, 9:56:13 PM2/9/09

"Bob" <rk...@armageddon.info> wrote in message

http://www.portasol.com/solderirons.html
I have one that's 20 years old and still works.
Paul aka Sporty

"Our groundbreaking product the Portasol 'Technic' was the first pocket
portable, butane powered, soldering iron. Standard issue in countless
service companies the Technic combines compact power and convenient
reliability. Adjustable from 10 to 60 watts equivalent power, the Technic
features 10-second refill, auto switch off, built-in ignitor and excellent
build quality. Accessories include a range of tips including a hot knife tip
for nylon rope and polymer cutting."

S'mee

Feb 12, 2009, 12:37:53 AM2/12/09
On Feb 9, 6:07 am, Bob <r...@armageddon.info> wrote:
>         I wanna know if I can hot wire my scooter battery to a regular
> 12v/60w soldering iron to do local soldering repairs without going to the
> other fuel/chemical bonding methods for safety ????

Why bother? Buy a butane powered soldering iron and be done with it.

--
Keith

R. LaCasse

Feb 12, 2009, 1:57:01 AM2/12/09

Sounds good, if you plan on burning all the plastic around the
soldering area I'm considering with wind included...pretty messy
sometimes..

Maybe I'll go rob a crack head for his butane lighter for all the
use I would need it for on this crampy plastic application....

Dave Plowman (News)

Feb 12, 2009, 4:16:25 AM2/12/09
In article <rph7p4lvl6q6drp84...@4ax.com>,

R. LaCasse <sco...@yamaha.info> wrote:
> |>Why bother? Buy a butane powered soldering iron and be done with it.

> Sounds good, if you plan on burning all the plastic around the
> soldering area I'm considering with wind included...pretty messy
> sometimes..

Wind is a problem with an electric soldering iron too.

> Maybe I'll go rob a crack head for his butane lighter for all the
> use I would need it for on this crampy plastic application....

--
*The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind *

Who Me?

Feb 12, 2009, 10:25:03 AM2/12/09

"R. LaCasse" <sco...@yamaha.info> wrote

> |>Why bother? Buy a butane powered soldering iron and be done with it.

I think I suggested that about a week ago!

> Sounds good, if you plan on burning all the plastic around the
> soldering area I'm considering with wind included...pretty messy
> sometimes..

Not if you use your brain just a TINY bit.

You fire it up, let it heat to the proper useable temperature and the SHUT
THE FLAME OFF before you get near the plastic parts. Should be good for one
or two joints before the wind cools it off too much.
OR
The little catalytic flame only blows in one direction; once you figure that
out, you should be able to point it AWAY from the meltable parts........and
once it is up to temp. and you turn the "flame" down to a maintenance level,
there isn't that much heat coming out anyway.
OR
You could continue to whine over nothing.

Paul aka Sporty

Feb 12, 2009, 1:13:34 PM2/12/09

"Who Me?" <hitch...@dont.panic> wrote in message

The Portasol is very controllable, I never melted anything other than solder
with it.
All you need is some soldering skills and some common sense when using it.

S'mee

Feb 13, 2009, 12:56:56 AM2/13/09
On Feb 11, 11:57 pm, R. LaCasse <scoo...@yamaha.info> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 21:37:53 -0800 (PST), "S'mee"
>
> <stevenkei...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> |>Why bother? Buy a butane powered soldering iron and be done with it.
>
>         Sounds good, if you plan on burning all the plastic around the
> soldering area I'm considering with wind included...pretty messy
> sometimes..

Really? Are you SURE about that? 'cause I've been using them since the
early 90's and have never "Burnt the plastic around the soldering
area" over heated some wire that I was working on? Sure, do that with
an electric one also...who hasn't?

>         Maybe I'll go rob a crack head for his butane lighter for all the
> use I would need it for on this crampy plastic application....

You sure don't know what you are talking about that's for damn sure.
But hey do it the hard way, if that's what you want. I mean what would
I know, just because I've done if for a long damn time.
--
Keith

R. LaCasse

Feb 14, 2009, 4:02:59 AM2/14/09
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 21:56:56 -0800 (PST), "S'mee"
<steven...@hotmail.com> wrote:

|>>         Maybe I'll go rob a crack head for his butane lighter for all the
|>> use I would need it for on this crampy plastic application....
|>
|>You sure don't know what you are talking about that's for damn sure.
|>But hey do it the hard way, if that's what you want. I mean what would
|>I know, just because I've done if for a long damn time.

What CRACK?????...no shit heh!

Michael Kennedy

Feb 15, 2009, 12:53:00 AM2/15/09

"Bob" <rk...@armageddon.info> wrote in message

I know many people have told the OP to get a Butane soldering iorn, but I
think the OP may be confused about one is. He probably thinks you mean a
pencil torch, not an actual butane soldering iorn with a tip and all.

Here is one
http://www.action-electronics.com/solderingirons.htm#Butane

Or an Electric solution a 12v soldering iorn

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=4067&doy=15m2&C=SO&U=strat15

These were just two random iorns I googled and have no expirence with either
of them. Anyhow your scooter battery should be sufficient to run this for a
while since its only a 30w iorn.

I thikn you were wanting to hack a 120v iorn to work on 12v. That would be
a bit difficult and wouldn't be worth your time. Maybe you have a AA
battery powered iorn. That could work, but I doubt it runs on 12v. Its
probably 6 or less.

Best of luck ot you.

Mike

S'mee

Feb 16, 2009, 9:15:42 PM2/16/09
On Feb 14, 2:02 am, R. LaCasse <scoo...@yamaha.info> wrote:

> |>You sure don't know what you are talking about that's for damn sure.
> |>But hey do it the hard way, if that's what you want. I mean what would
> |>I know, just because I've done if for a long damn time.
>
>         What CRACK?????...no shit heh!

What ever, I was just trying help. But hey, do what you want...it
ain't my wiring. I either clean it and solder or crimp.
--
Keith

.

Feb 16, 2009, 9:22:26 PM2/16/09
On Feb 16, 6:15 pm, "Steven Sea Gull" <stevenkei...@hotmail.com>
drunkenly slurred:

> What ever (snip)

Nothing to see here folks, just a *stupid* thread that's gone on so
long it's attracted bottom feeders like Keith.

Move along, move along.

S'mee

Feb 17, 2009, 9:12:15 AM2/17/09

Hmm, this coming from a liar, psychopath and all around idiot? High
compliments indeed. Tell me oh font of arcane knowledge how could a
reject, racist, liar, idot, pursuer of under age mexicans and all
around lonely, unemployed loser with no family possibly know anything
about what I do or do not do? Hmm...then again you are an internet
stalker who mines other peoples info. Much as you've attempted to do
to me and use like the sick bastard you are.

Funny thing Krusty...it doesn't scare me. Nothing you could do scares
me. Lie all you want...nobody believes you. You to can be found just
like everyone else.

For that matter you've contributed NOTHING to this thread...as usual
for a loser of your high caliber.
--
Keith

.

Feb 17, 2009, 12:05:54 PM2/17/09
On Feb 17, 6:12�am, "Steven Sea Gull" <stevenkei...@hotmail.com> hung
over from last night's drunken debauchery, scribbled:

> Hmm, this (snip)

Nothing to see here folks. Just some typical sea gull crap.

Move along, move along.

S'mee

Feb 17, 2009, 8:33:31 PM2/17/09

Ah...still scared of me I see. Trying to push everyone away...too late
the world left you behind goober. Now take your inbred white trash act
somewhere else like antarctica.
--
Keith

Peter Hucker

Feb 22, 2009, 1:46:56 PM2/22/09
to Dave Plowman (News)
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 09:16:25 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>> Sounds good, if you plan on burning all the plastic around the
>> soldering area I'm considering with wind included...pretty messy
>> sometimes..
>
> Wind is a problem with an electric soldering iron too.

How so?

Many of the world's greatest runners come from Kenya because they have a unique training program there -- it's called a lion.

.

Feb 22, 2009, 2:31:00 PM2/22/09
On Feb 22, 10:46 am, "Peter Hucker" <n...@spam.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 09:16:25 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) <d...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> > Wind is a problem with an electric soldering iron too.
>
> How so?

Next time you two clowns have a thought, just let it go, m'kay?

Peter Hucker

Feb 22, 2009, 2:36:18 PM2/22/09

I see you don't know the answer.

Hot Tub Tips for Women

It is not lady like to straddle a water jet, moan in ecstasy, then
scream at the top of your lungs, "Oh yes baby!"

Washing your partners back is sexy. Washing your pantyhose
is not!

Group nude bathing with strangers can be a pleasant experience,
but don't spoil things by making snide remarks like "I've seen bigger
wangs on Hamsters"

It's OK to pass a joint while tubbing. It's not OK to pass gas.

Don't think you're fooling anybody by trying to pass off your vibrator
as a toy submarine!

Schiffner

Feb 22, 2009, 5:07:02 PM2/22/09
On Feb 12, 2:16 am, "Dave Plowman (News)" <d...@davenoise.co.uk>
wrote:

> >    Sounds good, if you plan on burning all the plastic around the
> > soldering area I'm considering with wind included...pretty messy
> > sometimes..
>
> Wind is a problem with an electric soldering iron too.

Only on cold days...cold being UNDER 35F. Well that's my definition,
what would I know I've installed AC compressor units when it was 25F.
Getting the torch lit was the hardest part as the winds were a good
bit over 25mph that day. 8^(

Electric soldering irons shouldn't be bothered on windy days unless
it's damn cold.
--
Keith

GMAN

Feb 25, 2009, 3:49:08 PM2/25/09
In article <op.uprp2seq4buhsv@i7>, "Peter Hucker" <no...@spam.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 19:31:00 -0000, . <macm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 22, 10:46 am, "Peter Hucker" <n...@spam.com> wrote:

>>> How so?
>>
>> Next time you two clowns have a thought, just let it go, m'kay?
>
>I see you don't know the answer.

Wind cools the tip??? m-kay!

Peter Hucker

Feb 25, 2009, 4:01:00 PM2/25/09
to GMAN

Only a piddly 18W Antex. Temp-controlled ones don't have wind problems.

Why are they called buildings, when they're already finished? Shouldn't they be called builts?

Ian Field

Dec 19, 2011, 4:45:49 PM12/19/11

wrote:

> > Sounds good, if you plan on burning all the plastic around the
> > soldering area I'm considering with wind included...pretty messy
> > sometimes..
>
> Wind is a problem with an electric soldering iron too.

Only on cold days...cold being UNDER 35F. Well that's my definition,
what would I know I've installed AC compressor units when it was 25F.
Getting the torch lit was the hardest part as the winds were a good
bit over 25mph that day. 8^(

IME the butane pencil irons aren't well suited to outdoor automotive work.

It was cold and windy at the time and by the time I'd turned the gas up high
enough to make acceptable joints, it overheated when idle and ruined the
tinning on the tip.

Also for some unknown reason the catalyser gauze only glows round one side
of the burner since.

Electric soldering irons shouldn't be bothered on windy days unless
it's damn cold.
--
Keith

I've had even 60W temperature controlled irons struggle indoors in a bloody
cold workshop.

The OP might not find it easy to obtain a TC iron rated at 12V (there were
the 24V Weller TCP-1 irons - if you can still get them) so the choices are
along the lines; 12V (not temcont), 2 batteries in series to run a 24V iron
(if you can still get them) -or- a small mains voltage from 12V inverter
(probably less than 50% efficient - so much increased current draw for a
given wattage).

Another option is a computer backup UPS - but most types have a 'safety
feature', you can't just activate them and get mains from them - you have to
simulate a power outage by first plugging it into a wall socket and then
unplugging it with the load connected and running.

In my garage there's an old salvaged UPS with faked mains - a blocking
oscillator/inverter wired to the charging transformer to make the circuit
board think it had mains.

When the 'U' lock securing my motorcycle refused its key one morning I was
able to run the angle grinder away from any mains socket, long enough to cut
the lock.