Corona PC

1 view

Green Xenon [Radium]

Apr 10, 2008, 6:13:31 PM4/10/08
Has anyone heard of a "Corona" computer. Corona is the company which
makes the computer. It is a PC that does not use Windows of any version.
It only uses DOS.

My Dad had bought the Corona in '86. It was monochrome green. It used
those big diskettes. The CPU speed was 40 MHz. I think it is an IBM
computer. It had two progrmas on it -- Wordstar and Lotus [don't
remember the versions for either, someone please give a hand here?].
Like most PCs of the time, it also had DOS [can't remember the version,
does anyone?].

My Corona comp had no mouse. Oddly, the keyboard was connected to the
computer with a telephone cord. The comp and the keyboard were connected
to each other via a telephone cord in their "telephone-like" ports.
Pretty wierd.

I don't know about whether it had a motherboard or not. It certainly was
not a computer you could open up.

The computer used to make these funny sounds resembling square waves
whenever it was on. Whenever I turned this computer off, the sounds
would decrease in loudness but increase in pitch [!!] before going
completely silent.

I've no idea why the comp made these sounds or why they would increase
in pitch as it was turned off!!! Pretty funny!

Wim Lewis

Aug 31, 2009, 2:14:52 AM8/31/09
In article <47fe9108$0$11338$4c36...@roadrunner.com>,

Green Xenon [Radium] <gluc...@excite.com> wrote:
>Has anyone heard of a "Corona" computer. Corona is the company which
>makes the computer. It is a PC that does not use Windows of any version.
>It only uses DOS.
>
>My Dad had bought the Corona in '86. It was monochrome green. It used
>those big diskettes. The CPU speed was 40 MHz. I think it is an IBM
>computer.

It was probably 4 MHz, actually. I had an old Compaq "luggable" PC-clone
of about the same vintage.

--
Wim Lewis <wi...@hhhh.org>, Seattle, WA, USA. PGP keyID 27F772C1
"We learn from history that we do not learn from history." -Hegel