I think I may have made a fatal error

d~

Apr 12, 2008, 11:06:48 AM4/12/08
Greetings!

I've just recently loaded atsr back into my newsreader as I've just
recently taken a job back in the field after 8 years of recovery.

I've been reading some recent posts and I have to say: I completely
forgot how incredibly 'challenging' working in support can be.

I should have checked in with your reports from the field before I
signed up for the gig.

So, I'm curious - has anyone else "come back" after a prolonged
stretch of recovery time? and if so, how long did it take to snap?

d~

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

SteveD

Apr 27, 2008, 7:11:53 AM4/27/08
On 25 Apr 2008 11:50:53 GMT, DaZZa <da...@deadspam.com> wrote:

>Microsoft has a lot to answer for. Besides being the piece of shot
>software house we all know and love[1], they've gone and made things
>relatively *easy* for your average grunt[2] to use a PC/network, and
>that in turn has led to a truely staggering increase in the incidence of
>complete and utter fscking morons who claim to be "computer literate".

On the plus side, it has led to jumps in the supply and consequent drops
in the prices of assorted hardware, even if 99% of it is being bought and
used in the service of stupidity.

-SteveD

Jasper Janssen

Apr 27, 2008, 6:22:23 PM4/27/08
On 25 Apr 2008 11:50:53 GMT, DaZZa <da...@deadspam.com> wrote:

>Microsoft has a lot to answer for. Besides being the piece of shot
>software house we all know and love[1], they've gone and made things
>relatively *easy* for your average grunt[2] to use a PC/network, and
>that in turn has led to a truely staggering increase in the incidence of
>complete and utter fscking morons who claim to be "computer literate".
>

>Oh, for the days when you couldn't do anything with a computer without
>knowing binary at least, with hex/octal thrown in for good measure.

At an ISP, you'd think that the people using your product (internet
connectivity) would at least know how to read and write.

Yeah. You might think that.

Jasper

Gene Sullivan

Apr 28, 2008, 3:47:33 PM4/28/08
Jasper Janssen <jas...@jjanssen.org> wrote:
> At an ISP, you'd think that the people using your product (internet
> connectivity) would at least know how to read and write.

> Yeah. You might think that.

I see no reason to assume any such thing.

--
Gene Sullivan :: curio...@gmail.com :: http://curiousgene.com
Any technology which is distinguishable --------------------

Jasper Janssen

Apr 30, 2008, 6:02:41 AM4/30/08
On 28 Apr 2008 19:47:33 GMT, Gene Sullivan <curio...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Jasper Janssen <jas...@jjanssen.org> wrote:
>> At an ISP, you'd think that the people using your product (internet
>> connectivity) would at least know how to read and write.
>
>> Yeah. You might think that.
>
>I see no reason to assume any such thing.

Well, perhaps 'using' is the wrong word. Let's say the people responsible
for paying the bills on the thing.

Jasper

Message has been deleted

Jasper Janssen

May 1, 2008, 5:55:20 AM5/1/08
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:54:43 +0000 (UTC), Roger Burton West
<roger+at...@nospam.firedrake.org> wrote:

>Jasper Janssen wrote:
>
>>At an ISP, you'd think that the people using your product (internet
>>connectivity) would at least know how to read and write.
>>
>>Yeah. You might think that.
>
>Maybe, if in my bobbing days I hadn't had a call that started like this:
>
>Punter: "Hi, I can't get (x) working." (I think it was some modem
>configuration thing.)
>
>Me: "OK, I can talk you through doing that."
>
>Punter: "It's going to be a bit difficult because I can't read."
>
>It was true, too...

My personal favourite is still "It's that broad narrow key at the bottom
of your keyboard...".

Isuddenlyknowwhysometimespeopletypelikethis.

Jasper

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jasper Janssen

May 1, 2008, 3:41:01 PM5/1/08
On Thu, 01 May 2008 07:59:03 -0500, Satya <sat...@satyaonline.cjb.net>
wrote:
>On Thu, 01 May 2008 11:55:20 +0200, Jasper Janssen wrote:
>> Isuddenlyknowwhysometimespeopletypelikethis.
>
>Why do they type like THIS, RANDOMLY CHANGING CASE IN THE MIDDLE OF A
>SENTENCE?

I do that, sometimes, when i FATFINGER THE CAPS+SHIFT, AND i DON'T BOTHER
TO CORRECT BEFORE SENDING.

jASPER

Message has been deleted

Kevin Goebel

May 2, 2008, 1:21:53 AM5/2/08
On Thu, 01 May 2008 11:55:20 +0200, Jasper Janssen <jas...@jjanssen.org>
wrote:

Suddenly,aspacesomeaspacemessagesaspacefromaspaceusersaspaceareaspacebecomingaspaceclearaspacetoaspaceme.

Kevin Goebel

Richard Bos

May 2, 2008, 8:23:59 PM5/2/08
Paul Arthur <flower...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2008-05-01, Satya <sat...@satyaonline.cjb.net> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 01 May 2008 11:55:20 +0200, Jasper Janssen wrote:
> >
> >> Isuddenlyknowwhysometimespeopletypelikethis.
> >
> > Why do they type like THIS, RANDOMLY CHANGING CASE IN THE MIDDLE OF
> > A SENTENCE?
>

> Because 'Caps Lock' is right next to the '' KEY, AND SOMETIMES YOU
> ACCIDENTALLY HIT THE WRONG ONE?

Well, I do that (except that on my keyboard it's next to the A, TYVM),
but I notice when I do so after a few letters.

> Nah, probably not. Besides, most of my lusers just do alternating
> sentences; I think it's supposed to be for emphasis, to show how upset
> they are that we're more interested in doing things properly than we
> are in making their life easier.

I dunno, that would imply thought and intent. I think it's more that to
them, Usenet (and life in general, FTM) is a write-only medium.

Richard

Jasper Janssen

May 3, 2008, 5:43:09 AM5/3/08
On Sat, 03 May 2008 00:23:59 GMT, ral...@xs4all.nl (Richard Bos) wrote:

>Well, I do that (except that on my keyboard it's next to the A, TYVM),
>but I notice when I do so after a few letters.

You must be typing blind, I have to look at the keyboard because I never
quite got to ten fingers.

Jasper

Richard Bos

May 4, 2008, 5:57:00 PM5/4/08
Jasper Janssen <jas...@jjanssen.org> wrote:

My typing is more seven-and-a-half fingers one-eyed than ten fingers
blind, but as it usually happens with Ctrl-Shift-A (deselect all in
InDesign, very often used), yes, it's an automatism.

Richard

Kenneth Brody

May 5, 2008, 2:27:20 PM5/5/08
Satya wrote:
[...]
> I did respond with a "Done.", once. Sent as a PDF attachment.

Don't you know anything? You're supposed to print it out, put the
paper on a wooden table, take a picture of it, and send the image
as an attachment!

uggc://gurqnvyljgs.pbz/Negvpyrf/Jro_0_0k2r_1.nfck

Don't e-mail me at: <mailto:ThisIsA...@gmail.com>

Kenneth Brody

May 5, 2008, 2:20:26 PM5/5/08

You must be my long-lost brother. However, mine is closer to
six-and-a-half fingers. (The "half" being the left-pinky to hit
the shift key, or the right-pinky to press Enter. Neither ring
finger comes into play very often.) Yet, I type faster than just
about anyone else I know. I guess it comes from years of typing.
(I started about 36 years ago on an AT&T ASR-33. I took a class
on touch-typing several years later, but only because it was a
requirement. I typed faster the "wrong" way than the rest of the
class did using the "right" way.)

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Peter Corlett

May 6, 2008, 6:48:58 AM5/6/08
DaZZa <da...@deadspam.com> wrote:
[...]
> That's where that old hairy line about "Put the modem back in the box,
> close it up and send it back to us. You're obviously too stupid to use a
> computer" should apply!

That particular ISP used to have a policy that they would try to support
anything that people might use to connect to the Internet with. They
supported a fair bit: KA9Q, AmigaOS, Windows 3.0, m68k Macs, libc4 Linux,
the works.

Somebody I shared a house with was half-tempted to call the support line and
ask for help connecting-up his PDP-8.

And then said ISP was bought out and went to pot.

SteveD

May 6, 2008, 11:29:23 AM5/6/08
On Mon, 05 May 2008 16:59:03 -0500, Satya <sat...@satyaonline.cjb.net>
wrote:

>On Mon, 05 May 2008 14:27:20 -0400, Kenneth Brody wrote:
>> Satya wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I did respond with a "Done.", once. Sent as a PDF attachment.
>> Don't you know anything? You're supposed to print it out, put the
>> paper on a wooden table, take a picture of it, and send the image
>> as an attachment!
>>
>> uggc://gurqnvyljgs.pbz/Negvpyrf/Jro_0_0k2r_1.nfck
>

>I didn't want to go completely over board.
>
>Why a wooden table?

The image of woodgrain won't compress as well as an image of a uniform
surface.

To be done correctly, the text needs to be screencapped, compressed to the
limit of readability, printed out in monochrome, faxed to a secretary, the
fax placed on a wooden surface, videoed with a first-gen cameraphone, the
video inserted in a PDF which is placed as an attached file in an Excel
cell, the Excel file embedded in a Word document, the whole mess saved to
the user's desktop, and you to be sent a shortcut to it which starts
"C:\..."

-SteveD

Kenneth Brody

May 6, 2008, 11:28:02 AM5/6/08
Satya wrote:

> On Mon, 05 May 2008 14:20:26 -0400, Kenneth Brody wrote:
> > You must be my long-lost brother. However, mine is closer to
> > six-and-a-half fingers. (The "half" being the left-pinky to hit
> > the shift key, or the right-pinky to press Enter. Neither ring
> > finger comes into play very often.) Yet, I type faster than just
> > about anyone else I know. I guess it comes from years of typing.
> > (I started about 36 years ago on an AT&T ASR-33. I took a class
> > on touch-typing several years later, but only because it was a
> > requirement. I typed faster the "wrong" way than the rest of the
> > class did using the "right" way.)
>
> L'nyy arrq gb tb svaq gur syvpxe cvpgher bs gur Qryy Ibfgeb xrlobneq.
> Lbhe ybpny qvtt bhgyrg fubhyq unir n fgbel.

Eww...

uggc://qvtt.pbz/uneqjner/Qryy_f_arj_Ibfgeb_pevccyrq_ol_zbahzragny_xrlobneq_fperj_hc

Message has been deleted

SteveD

May 7, 2008, 2:38:31 AM5/7/08
On Tue, 06 May 2008 14:59:03 -0500, Satya <sat...@satyaonline.cjb.net>
wrote:

>On Tue, 06 May 2008 23:29:23 +0800, SteveD wrote:
>> To be done correctly, the text needs to be screencapped, compressed to the
>> limit of readability, printed out in monochrome, faxed to a secretary, the
>> fax placed on a wooden surface, videoed with a first-gen cameraphone, the
>> video inserted in a PDF which is placed as an attached file in an Excel
>> cell, the Excel file embedded in a Word document, the whole mess saved to
>> the user's desktop, and you to be sent a shortcut to it which starts
>> "C:\..."
>

>But that leaves all the mess on the luser's side. We win.

With 'win' being defined as 'being whined at by luser and their boss for
hours or weeks on end because you haven't magically fixed whatever it
was'?

-SteveD

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Kenneth Brody

Aug 6, 2008, 3:40:15 PM8/6/08
Luke wrote:

> SteveD <use...@vo.id.au> wrote:
> > To be done correctly, the text needs to be screencapped, compressed to the
> > limit of readability, printed out in monochrome, faxed to a secretary, the
> > fax placed on a wooden surface, videoed with a first-gen cameraphone, the
> > video inserted in a PDF which is placed as an attached file in an Excel
> > cell, the Excel file embedded in a Word document, the whole mess saved to
> > the user's desktop, and you to be sent a shortcut to it which starts
> > "C:\..."
>
> Hey are you the person that keeps trying to send me that error message that
> theybscreen grabbed and put in table in a Word doc that they can't manage to
> attach it in the support request?
> Cos that method sounds awfully like what they are doing to get a message of 2
> lines of text to me!

Be happy that they can't manage to attach it. Back in the 28.8K
dialup days, someone managed to do that, and sent me a 13MB e-mail!
(1024x768x24-bit screen capture, pasted into MS-Word, twice, saved
as RTF, and then BASE64-encoded.)