New job rant

Tycho Caine

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
A tip: don't ever work for a newly starting up division of an
established company based in another country.

The story so far:
Late last February I did the interview and was offered the job as Web
Developer / IS [0]

I had to pester my mangler to be for ~ 2 months until I saw my
contract with a start date in JULY!

I met with above-mentioned boss to be two weeks ago and he then asked
me if I could start in two weeks.
He also asked me to have the network/VPN in place before then and to
work at head office for 2 months on development as soon as I started.

I told my current mangler I needed to leave in 2 weeks, and
predictably, he went off the deep end and waved my contract in my face
and told me that I was stuck here for another four weeks.
After much augments and threats, we agreed on 3 weeks.

This leaves me 3 weeks to sort out PC's [1], and a VPN, and get the
whole lot stuck together, and I still have to document every piece of
code I've written in the last year in my old job before I leave my
current $POE

[0] I know....unofficial title: "the computer guy". Plebes will be
hired in as required to take over my workload as the company grows.
[1] Sub-rant:..Dell: "We're waiting on a part to complete your order"
Me: "Well I ordered both laptops and desktops, so can you ship the
unaffected PCs to me now?" Dell: "I'm afraid we can't split orders
sir." So now 1/2 my order is sitting in shipping waiting for the
other 1/2 to be built while I'm stuck with no PCs..aaaggghhh!
Scully : " Mulder, toads are falling from the sky! "
Mulder : " 'Guess their parachutes didn't open then. "
email : me at garypigott dot net
http://www.garypigott.net

DaZZa

May 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/26/00
On Thu, 25 May 2000, Tycho Caine wrote:

> [1] Sub-rant:..Dell: "We're waiting on a part to complete your order"
> Me: "Well I ordered both laptops and desktops, so can you ship the
> unaffected PCs to me now?" Dell: "I'm afraid we can't split orders
> sir." So now 1/2 my order is sitting in shipping waiting for the
> other 1/2 to be built while I'm stuck with no PCs..aaaggghhh!

The moral to THAT story is send 'em individual orders fore ach PC you
wanna buy - referencing the asme purchase order number at your end, but
different order numbers at their end. It soon pisses them off to get 400,
single PC orders a day for 3 weeks, and they become _much_ more reasonable
about "splitting orders".

DaZZa