Re: Forgive me, for I must rant

Message has been deleted

Kevin Williams

Sep 16, 2008, 9:42:55 AM9/16/08
The Underpants Gnomes tell me that
DaZZa <da...@deadspam.com> wrote:
> It's more of a tired whimper than a rant...

Mine: State IT has our payroll people upload payroll data via FTP/SSL
to their system. For the last two months, transfers on certain larger
files have been spontaneously aborting (much as the responsible party
in state IT should have). State IT says that they are mystified and
none of the other state universitites have been having problems. This
is the party line even though we can find no problem on our end.

So yesterday we got the bright idea to check with people at the other
universities. Every Single One had problems. They were not all the
same as ours, and most of them used other clients. A circular email was
duly sent to the IT bods here, at the other universities, and to State
IT, detailing who, what, when, and where.

Late yesterday State IT responded and admitted a problem with their
IDS.
--
Kevin

Message has been deleted

Jasper Janssen

Sep 21, 2008, 12:37:11 PM9/21/08
On 16 Sep 2008 05:09:01 GMT, DaZZa <da...@deadspam.com> wrote:

>Every time, I check said device via whatever crappy, piss-poor
>administrative interface the designers of media/TV equipment
>pretending to be IP devices provide, and lo and behold,
>there's NO.....FRICKING.....DEFAULT.....ROUTE!

Leaving this sort of thing up to anything except (statically configured)
DHCP (which *you* control) is asking for trouble, though.

Jasper