Luser lost her store's POS server.

brother mouse

Jan 22, 2008, 9:50:49 AM1/22/08
Luser asks me to run some reports from her server. The whole thing
doesn't make sense. She wants current-day reports from a date in the
past (impossible without a restore). She is confused and needy, you know
the type.

Me: It's not possible. Not only that but your server appears to be
offline.

Luser: It's not here.

Me: Are you working offsite?

Luser: No.

Me: Are you at another store?

Luser: No. I am at my store.

Me: I don't get it. You are at your store and your server is not
there?

Luser: Right.

Me: (losing patience) Where is your server?

Luser: I don't know.

This goes on for a while. It turns out that she means the local
Sheriff's department confiscated her server and she wants me to find it,
get it online, and run impossible reports for her.

Me: That's not possible.

Luser: You can't do it?

Me: No. The server is gone.

Luser: I want to talk to your manager, someone who can do this for me.
I really need those reports.

Me: (joyfully writing up the ticket and escalating to Manglement)

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

brother mouse

Jan 23, 2008, 9:18:52 AM1/23/08
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:59:03 -0600, Satya wrote:

>> Me: (joyfully writing up the ticket and escalating to
Manglement)

> Did you get the memo, telling you to help her anyway, yet?

Not yet.

One time I was instructed to help a feed-and-bait store in OK that had,
in a former life, been one of our ${RETAIL_STORES}. They still had an
old early-90s server in the back they were using for God Knows What but
were not part of ${GIANT_COMPANY} anymore.

In my (apparently) shortsighted, unenlightened, not-a-team-player view,
helping this bag of baitshop lusers was fscking our actual customers who
were currently on hold waiting for support. This opinion was
rejected.

brother mouse

Jan 23, 2008, 2:44:45 PM1/23/08
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 19:19:42 +0930, Rob Adams wrote:

> On 22 Jan 2008 14:50:49 GMT, brother mouse

> <brothe...@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>
>>This goes on for a while. It turns out that she means the local
>>Sheriff's department confiscated her server and she wants me to find it,
>>get it online, and run impossible reports for her.
>

> There has to be a story here, please expand.

Unfortunately, this would require me to talk to the unhinged luser again.

Luckily for us the Support Mangler that called her back sits next to me.
After the callback he leaned over to me and said the luser was going to
"give his name to her lawyer and fix [the mangler] Real Good."

One would think she would save her discretionary legal funds for the
upcoming festivities with the local D.A.

Kevin

Jan 24, 2008, 2:14:56 AM1/24/08
On 23 Jan 2008 14:18:52 GMT, brother mouse <brothe...@nowhere.invalid>
wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:59:03 -0600, Satya wrote:

Delete, Delete, Delete, Format, Format, Format...

"System Halted"? Sounds like a hardware failure, call the manufacturer.

Kevin