This sort of luser really exists

Kevin Williams

Jun 1, 2011, 2:39:14 PM6/1/11
Luser wanted me to see a pop-up message on his screen. Instead of
using one of the relatively-sane methods, he

1) did a print-screen dump to his printer,
2) took the print-out over to the fancy copier,
3) had the fancy copier scan it into a PDF and email it to him, and
4) emailed me the PDF.

I'd heard of people like this but thought they were just, you know,
/stories/.
--
Kevin

mikea

Jun 1, 2011, 2:58:40 PM6/1/11
Kevin Williams <m...@privacy.net> wrote in <slrniud1...@tirpitz.domain.tld>:

No. They exist. They are (almost) mercifully few, but they exist. There
are other methods of complication that they're at least equally good at.

--
The combination of alarm clocks, crises and important events are to Murphy
what wearing a raincoat in a theater is to Peewee Herman: he can't help

Message has been deleted

Kenneth Brody

Jun 8, 2011, 1:10:41 PM6/8/11

Believe me, they exist.

Way back in 28.8K dialup days...

1) Get error message in console app window.
2) Take GUI screen shot (1024x768x24).
3) Paste entire screen shot into MS-Word.
4) Get another, almost identical, error.
5) Repeat full-screen capture/paste.
6) Save as RTF.
7) Attach to e-mail, BASE64-encoded.

Result: To ask "what does this ~150-character error message mean", they
sent a 13MB e-mail.

The killer: Next to the screen shot, they had typed the text of the error
message!

And I won't even mention the one who, when asked to send in a copy of the
(floppy) disk, did just that... We received a "copy" made by the copy machine.

On the other hand, we also had the "usefully creative" type who sent a
"screen shot" of a DT-100 terminal by using a Polaroid camera.

--
Kenneth Brody