Rock 'n Roll for geezers

Julian Macassey

Jan 14, 1994, 8:34:11 AM1/14/94
In article <bhatchCJ...@netcom.com> bha...@netcom.com (Bob "Another beer, please" Christ) writes:
>k...@acpub.duke.edu (Ken Strayhorn Jr.) writes:
>
>>Hendrix opening for the Monkees I understood, 'cause Hendrix was
>>still pretty unknown at the time and I figured the promoter probably
>>assumed that the Experience was just another guitar band.
>
>>However, in '74, Led Zep had been around for almost 10 years and
>
>10 years? No. They formed up in '68, made the 1st album 10 days later.
>I saw 'em just before the 2d album came out. In the Fillmore auditorium.
>Very cool. Still remember Page playing the guitar with a violin bow.

I am looking for the radio station that has the promo:
"Classic rock all the time - Less Led Zeppelin."

ObTasteless: Why does Preperation-H only come in one flavour?
--
Julian Macassey, N6ARE jul...@bongo.tele.com Voice: (414) 457-0874
Paper Mail: 210 Bleyer Drive, Sheboygan, Wisconsin 53081-9475

Bob Another beer, please Christ

Jan 14, 1994, 4:29:52 PM1/14/94
jul...@bongo.tele.com (Julian Macassey) writes:

>Julian Macassey, N6ARE jul...@bongo.tele.com Voice: (414) 457-0874
>Paper Mail: 210 Bleyer Drive, Sheboygan, Wisconsin 53081-9475

Gack! He's done it! Julian has moved behind the cheese curtain.

So, when does the 'river run' happen? You are coming back for that little
event aren't you?

Say "hi" to Jeffery for me.

Bob

--
This person is currently under going electric shock therapy at Agnews
Developmental Center in San Jose, California. All his opinions are

5150

Jan 15, 1994, 4:22:25 PM1/15/94
In article <1994Jan14....@bongo.tele.com>,

Julian Macassey <jul...@bongo.tele.com> wrote:
>ObTasteless: Why does Preperation-H only come in one flavour?

Because your rectum doesn't have papillae.

5150
--
Now I have it figured out. alt.callahans is a MUD for very slow typists.
- Paul Callahan (call...@biffvm.cs.jhu.edu)

Rick Kelly

Jan 15, 1994, 9:27:50 PM1/15/94
5150 (ro...@netcom.com) wrote:
: In article <1994Jan14....@bongo.tele.com>,

: Julian Macassey <jul...@bongo.tele.com> wrote:
: >ObTasteless: Why does Preperation-H only come in one flavour?

: Because your rectum doesn't have papillae.

Or paparazzi.

--

Rick Kelly r...@rmkhome.com r...@bedford.progress.com

Gary Heston

Jan 16, 1994, 9:33:15 PM1/16/94
In article <1994Jan16....@mixcom.mixcom.com> Joseph.Betz <Josep...@mixcom.mixcom.com> writes:

>In <1994Jan14....@bongo.tele.com> jul...@bongo.tele.com (Julian Macassey) writes:

>> I am looking for the radio station that has the promo:
>>"Classic rock all the time - Less Led Zeppelin."

>Well, I'll second that, only due to my utter disgust with "Stairway to
>Heaven". Boy that sure was good song the first 50,000 times I heard it.

Look, the DJ has to go to the bathroom *sometime*.

(And they have monitor speakers mounted in the john so they know when
to start wiping...)

--
Gary Heston SCI Systems, Inc. ga...@sci34hub.sci.com site admin
The Chairman of the Board and the CFO speak for SCI. I'm neither.

Joseph.Betz

Jan 16, 1994, 3:30:22 AM1/16/94

> I am looking for the radio station that has the promo:
>"Classic rock all the time - Less Led Zeppelin."

Well, I'll second that, only due to my utter disgust with "Stairway to

Heaven". Boy that sure was good song the first 50,000 times I heard it.

>ObTasteless: Why does Preperation-H only come in one flavour?

Because, much like perfume, each individuals chemistry provides that subtle
difference. :-)

--
Joe

| Xtian (at crucifixion): "<snif> It's a shame he has to die" |
| Jesus (shouting from cross): "Well maybe I wouldn't have to |
| die if somebody would get a LADDER and a pair of PLIERS!!" |
| -Kineson, 0:0 |

Pope Clifton

Jan 17, 1994, 4:48:36 PM1/17/94
Gary Heston (ga...@sci34hub.sci.com) wrote:
: In article <1994Jan16....@mixcom.mixcom.com> Joseph.Betz <Josep...@mixcom.mixcom.com> writes:

: >Well, I'll second that, only due to my utter disgust with "Stairway to

: >Heaven". Boy that sure was good song the first 50,000 times I heard it.

: Look, the DJ has to go to the bathroom *sometime*.

: (And they have monitor speakers mounted in the john so they know when
: to start wiping...)

One DJ friend told me that's what they use the extended version of "Free
Bird" for. Imagine a very constipated DJ next time you hear it.

Followups to alt.tasteless.

-- Clifton

--
clif...@netcom.com Clifton Royston, Pope of the CotSG in Paradise

Jeffrey D. Angus

Jan 19, 1994, 10:54:25 AM1/19/94

> >Well, I'll second that, only due to my utter disgust with "Stairway to
> >Heaven". Boy that sure was good song the first 50,000 times I heard it.

Friday a TV program brought out to compete with Satyrday Night Live had a
(bogus) promo commercial for "Stairway to Heaven" Sung by 50 of your fave
artists. Including Buffy Saint Marie, Boxcar Willie, Frank Sinatra, Elvis
and others. Complete with clips (sound bites) from the various "groups" as
the list scrolled up the screen.

Amateur: WA6FWI@WA6FWI.#SOCA.CA.USA.NA | "It is difficult to imagine our
Internet: jan...@skyld.tele.com | universe run by a single omni-
US Mail: PO Box 4425 Carson, CA 90749 | potent god. I see it more as a
Phone: 1 (310) 324-6080 | badly run corporation."

Brett Lymn (master of the siren)

Jan 23, 1994, 6:35:35 AM1/23/94
In article <758994...@skyld.tele.com> jan...@skyld.tele.com (Jeffrey D. Angus) writes:

Jeffrey> Friday a TV program brought out to compete with Satyrday
Jeffrey> Night Live had a (bogus) promo commercial for "Stairway to
Jeffrey> Heaven" Sung by 50 of your fave artists. Including Buffy
Jeffrey> Saint Marie, Boxcar Willie, Frank Sinatra, Elvis and
Jeffrey> others. Complete with clips (sound bites) from the various
Jeffrey> "groups" as the list scrolled up the screen.

Another case where life imitates art. There *is* actually a CD out
with various people doing "Stairway to Heaven", artists include Rolf
Harris of all people. The CD was the result of a show that was on TV
here in OZ called "The Money or The Gun", they had a band on the show
each week which did their own cover of STH.

OBTasteless-anniversary: It's 12months since the old fuck that owned
the house we bought died, probably in the very room that I am sitting
in :-)

--
Brett Lymn

David Bromage

Jan 23, 1994, 11:34:53 PM1/23/94
bl...@awadi.com.au (Brett Lymn (master of the siren)) writes:

>In article <758994...@skyld.tele.com> jan...@skyld.tele.com (Jeffrey D. Angus) writes:

>Jeffrey> Friday a TV program brought out to compete with Satyrday
>Jeffrey> Night Live had a (bogus) promo commercial for "Stairway to
>Jeffrey> Heaven" Sung by 50 of your fave artists. Including Buffy
>Jeffrey> Saint Marie, Boxcar Willie, Frank Sinatra, Elvis and
>Jeffrey> others. Complete with clips (sound bites) from the various
>Jeffrey> "groups" as the list scrolled up the screen.

>Another case where life imitates art. There *is* actually a CD out
>with various people doing "Stairway to Heaven", artists include Rolf
>Harris of all people. The CD was the result of a show that was on TV
>here in OZ called "The Money or The Gun", they had a band on the show
>each week which did their own cover of STH.

I think one of the funniest versions was done after the CD (there's also a
video) was released. It was a rap version made in Toronto featuring people
such as Stephen Wright, Rita Rudner and Jerry Lewis.

ObTasteless: Ever noticed how vomit bounces on ice?

Cheers
David Bromage _--_|\ bro...@ccds.cc.monash.edu.au
Department of Chemistry / \ bro...@monu1.cc.monash.edu.au
Monash University, \_.--.*/ Phone: +61 3 905 4513
Clayton, Victoria, 3168 v Fax: +61 3 905 4597
Australia Through the wonders of ASCII, my .sig
says that Monash University is in Dubbo

Murray Chapman

Jan 24, 1994, 1:21:42 AM1/24/94
jan...@skyld.tele.com (Jeffrey D. Angus) writes:

> Friday a TV program brought out to compete with Satyrday Night Live had a
> (bogus) promo commercial for "Stairway to Heaven" Sung by 50 of your fave
> artists. Including Buffy Saint Marie, Boxcar Willie, Frank Sinatra, Elvis
> and others. Complete with clips (sound bites) from the various "groups" as
> the list scrolled up the screen.

I have a copy of a CD recorded/published here in Australia. It's called
"Stairways to Heaven", and features approx 15 different versions, including:
The Beatnix, The Rock Lobsters, The Sydney Philharmonic Orchestra + choir,
and Rolf Harris.

It's absolutely hilarious. Especially the bluegrass version, or when the
Elvis impersonator sings STH to the tune of "Viva Las Vegas".

Murray

> Amateur: WA6FWI@WA6FWI.#SOCA.CA.USA.NA | "It is difficult to imagine our

--
-- Murray Chapman Zheenl Punczna --
-- muz...@cs.uq.oz.au zhm...@pf.hd.bm.nh --

Bionic Tapeworm

Jan 24, 1994, 5:00:51 PM1/24/94
Jeffrey D. Angus writes:

> Friday a TV program brought out to compete with Satyrday Night Live had a
> (bogus) promo commercial for "Stairway to Heaven" Sung by 50 of your fave
> artists. Including Buffy Saint Marie, Boxcar Willie, Frank Sinatra, Elvis
> and others. Complete with clips (sound bites) from the various "groups" as
> the list scrolled up the screen.

Not wanting to piss on your fire, but it's been done.

I hold in my hand (no, the *other* hand) a CD entitled "Stairways to
Heaven", by `The Money or the Gun'. [This was the title of the show
whose musical interlude for each episode was a different version of
{you guessed it} "Stairway to Heaven".]

Included are versions by Rolf Harris (complete with wobbleboard and
digeridoo) and John Paul Young (mmm, sounds just like "Love is in the
Air"); a reggae version, country and western, thrash, psychedelic,
operatic and jazz versions; and impersonators showing how the Doors,
the (early) Beatles, Elvis, and even the B-52s, would perform the
song.

Twenty-two versions of "Stairway to Heaven" on CD -- enough to make
your brain melt. (If you're really interested, the "serial number"
thingy on the side is 512 605-2.)

Oh yes; the lyrics are printed on the sleeve notes, too.

OBTasteless (sort of):
Had this amazing dream a few nights back. I was a doctor who
raped his patients when they were in hospital. Most memorable
was the woman who had a big kitchen knife (about to perform a
quick Bobbitectomy, I guess); I threw my scalpel at her, hitting
her just under the left shoulderblade and knocking her out cold
(hey, it was a *dream*, right?). The scalpel left a nice hole
in her back, which was duly squicked. Seriously, that's what
I dreamt.

See what lurking in A.T does?

--
Bionic Tapeworm, who disclaims thus: "You leave my employer out of this",
and deliberately mentions Turkey, Carasso, Lucifer, D&D and Communism

Julian Macassey

Jan 24, 1994, 8:49:10 AM1/24/94
In article <2hvpdm$f...@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au> muz...@cs.uq.oz.au writes:

>I have a copy of a CD recorded/published here in Australia. It's called
>"Stairways to Heaven", and features approx 15 different versions, including:
>The Beatnix, The Rock Lobsters, The Sydney Philharmonic Orchestra + choir,
>and Rolf Harris.
>
>It's absolutely hilarious. Especially the bluegrass version, or when the
>Elvis impersonator sings STH to the tune of "Viva Las Vegas".

You are of course going to make copies available to a.t
readers that don't live in Oz?

We expect a posting describing what we will get for $20.00
with $4.50 shipping and mishandling.

Operators will be standing by.
--

Julian Macassey, N6ARE jul...@bongo.tele.com Voice: (414) 457-0874

Paper Mail: P.O. Box 562 Sheboygan, Wisconsin 53083-0562

David Bromage

Jan 24, 1994, 7:37:25 PM1/24/94

In article <2hvpdm$f...@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au> muz...@cs.uq.oz.au writes:

>I have a copy of a CD recorded/published here in Australia. It's called
>"Stairways to Heaven", and features approx 15 different versions, including:
>The Beatnix, The Rock Lobsters, The Sydney Philharmonic Orchestra + choir,
>and Rolf Harris.
>
>It's absolutely hilarious. Especially the bluegrass version, or when the
>Elvis impersonator sings STH to the tune of "Viva Las Vegas".

It's worth noting that Rolf Harris released his version as a single and
included it on his latest CD. The Brits went absolutely psycho and gave
him hell with everything short of death threats.

Let's sort out the actual number of versions. There were 28 recorded, one
has not yet been seen. 25 were on the video (the two series plus the
special with Kate Cebrano). 22 were on the CD.

Most arrangements were by Chris Harriott who was musical director for The
Money Or The Gun. However his best song ever was "As long as we beat New
Zealand".