PGA recently stopped using "JAP" (now uses "JPN") for Japan?

1 view

Tomoyuki Tanaka

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98

someone recently sent me email saying:

> I remember reading that the PGA stopped using JAP last
> year. They changed to JPN too.

is this true?

>>Prince Richard Kaminski <dobun...@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> [Ernest Schaal] claims he is not a racist. [...]
>>> Nevertheless, he stands condemned by his own words.
>>>
>>> Here is an example from Schaal:
>>>-------
>>> Especially, don't believe anything that you read written by
>>> "Prince" Richard Kaminski, an unemployed black with delusions
>>> of grandor.
>>>-------

a few weeks ago i sent a short note to <cdnow.com>.

now i see that they stoppped using "JAP" (now uses "JPN") as
short for Japan.

i am grateful to <cdnow.com> for their quick response.

avoiding "JAP" has the effect of isolating the truly racist,
making them stand out.

as far as i know, at least for the last 20 years
the Olympic games (and related int'l competitions) have used
"JPN" for Japan.

someone said that before WW2, they used "JAP". is this true?
(please give source.)

a rude, ignorant man named Eric Hildum
(who apparently supports the racial slur "Jap", and who
has been harassing me by hate email)
said that U.C.Davis uses the three character abbreviation JAP.
(see below)

he's mistaken, of course. U.C.Davis uses the names JPN002
JPN005 JPN098 etc.

are there any schools that use the JAP abbreviation?
if so, please let me know.

In article <3623E2F4...@Japan.NCR.COM>,
Eric Hildum <Eric....@Japan.NCR.COM> wrote:

> If you bother to check the course catalog at Davis, you will
> find that the Japanese language classes at Davis are also listed
> with the three character abbreviation JAP. Outside of the
> politically correct fringe in the US, it is the universally
> accepted abbreviation.

UC Davis uses "JPN". see below.

http://registrar.ucdavis.edu/UCDWebCatalog/WebCatCrs/gc_eac.htm#jpncrs

UC DAVIS GENERAL CATALOG--Programs and Courses
[...]
East Asian Languages and Cultures
[...]
Courses in Japanese (JPN)
[...]

--
;;; TANAKA Tomoyuki ("Mr. Tanaka" or "Tomoyuki")
;;; http://www.cs.indiana.edu/hyplan/tanaka.html

Stu the Hillbilly Drummer Girl

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
On 3 Dec 1998 08:55:19 GMT, ez07...@dilbert.ucdavis.edu (Tomoyuki
Tanaka) wrote:

> a few weeks ago i sent a short note to <cdnow.com>.
>
> now i see that they stoppped using "JAP" (now uses "JPN") as
> short for Japan.
>
> i am grateful to <cdnow.com> for their quick response.
>
> avoiding "JAP" has the effect of isolating the truly racist,
> making them stand out.

I pointed this out to you to try to make you see the ludicrousness of
your argument. "JAP", as they used it, is an abbreviation for Japan.
CDNow obviously doesn't intend it as an ethnic slur. If you look at
French imports it doesn't say "Origin: FROG" or German import "Origin:
KRAUT".

Are you eventually going to try to pull the snack food "Cheese Nips"
off the market too? Wasn't Nip a slur too at one point?

Bradley J. Gong

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
caju...@vt.edu (Stu the Hillbilly Drummer Girl) wrote:

>Are you eventually going to try to pull the snack food "Cheese Nips"
>off the market too? Wasn't Nip a slur too at one point?

Oh no, not again!! Don't get me started!!! I'll just say... invalid
premise = invalid argument.

OUT

Othmer

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98

Bradley J. Gong wrote in message <36672519...@nntp1.ba.best.com>...

>caju...@vt.edu (Stu the Hillbilly Drummer Girl) wrote:
>
>>Are you eventually going to try to pull the snack food "Cheese Nips"
>>off the market too? Wasn't Nip a slur too at one point?

The term Nips comes from WWII its short-hand for Nippon same as Japs is
shorthand for Japan

Jim Carew

Rick Nelson

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
In japanese the nation of japan is referred to as "nihon" - nippon is close
- japan is
quite a way off in phonetically.. I think what would be reasonable would
be ".nih"

I don't really care what japan's internet abbreviation is: Even though I'm
only
30 years old I am incredulous with what the japanese nation got away with
after
the atrocities they committed before and during WWII. And many of these
same
people who ordered or were in command of these horrific acts were, became,
and some still remain powerful people in japanese society. It is estimated
that Germany has paid
over 1 trillion US dollars in reparations for its acts in WWII, while japan
has not
paid anything to its victims or even made a formal apology. Japanese seem
to think
that they themselves were the victims based on their mythologizing of
Hiroshima
and Nagasaki. Personally, I have had many close Japanese/American friends.
But,
I have also been acquainted professionally with many japanese nationals who
I found
repulsive based on their self pride, arrogance, and egoism.

Thanks,

Rick

remsleep

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
Actually, 'Nippon' is perfectly correct. While the standard Japanese
characters for "Japan" are read as 'ni-hon' by themselves, when compounded
with other characters, as in the pre-war and war-time term 'dainippon'
('Greater Japan'), the kana 'ho' elides to 'po'. This same elision occurs
frequently in Japanese.

The word 'Japan' derives from 'Cipangu', the Spanish (or Portugese?)
transliteration of a Chinese (IIRC) term for Japan.

Whether it arises from standard practice or not, the abbreviation 'JAP' is
(in English, at least) offensive to most Japanese. That is not to say that
its use by one or another body is necessarily racist in intent, but merely
offensive in outcome. Such distinctions matter. You'd be hard pressed to
prove that the PGA Tour today harbors any animosity toward Japanese golfers
or golfers of any nationality -- except, perhaps during Ryder and Presidents
Cups.

Remsleep

Remsleep

: