Portland prepares for record high tide reminiscent of 1978 blizzard

Leroy N. Soetoro

Jan 13, 2024, 5:46:11 PMJan 13
https://wgme.com/news/local/portland-prepares-near-record-high-tide-
reminiscent-1978-blizzard-maine-coastal-flooding-wind-rain-snow

PORTLAND (WGME) -- High tide is at 12:05 p.m. on Saturday, meaning the
chance for historic coastal flooding is possible in Portland.

With already astronomically high tides, the current forecasted crest in
Portland is 14.3 feet. This would break the all-time record of 14.17 feet
set in the blizzard of 1978. Coastal flooding is expected to worsen during
high tide due to the loss of dunes and protections.

Anywhere along the coastline that sustained major damage from Wednesday's
storm is likely to experience further damage.

The National Weather Service in Gray has issued coastal flood warnings for
the entirety of the Maine coastline. These warnings will be in effect from
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. Peak storm surge of 2.5 to 3 feet is expected.

https://wgme.com/resources/media/ff5467d8-db09-4e46-8c41-07c6bbaddab5-
medium16x9_qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq.png

PORTLAND (WGME) -- High tide is at 12:05 p.m. on Saturday, meaning the
chance for historic coastal flooding is possible in Portland.

The forecasted high tide is 14.1 feet on Saturday. (WGME)

With already astronomically high tides, the current forecasted crest in
Portland is 14.3 feet. This would break the all-time record of 14.17 feet
set in the blizzard of 1978. Coastal flooding is expected to worsen during
high tide due to the loss of dunes and protections.

Also read: Historic coastal flooding expected in Maine on Saturday due to
another significant storm
Anywhere along the coastline that sustained major damage from Wednesday's
storm is likely to experience further damage.

Coastal flood warnings for the Maine coastline. (WGME)

The National Weather Service in Gray has issued coastal flood warnings for
the entirety of the Maine coastline. These warnings will be in effect from
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. Peak storm surge of 2.5 to 3 feet is expected.

Also read: 'Could lose front of my house': South Portland residents brace
for more coastal flooding

High tide on Wednesday is now the third highest tide. (WGME)

Here is a look at the list of historic coastal flooding for Portland.
Wednesday's high tide of 13.84 feet is the third-highest high tide. If
Portland does receive a high tide of 14.3 feet on Saturday, it will become
the highest high tide, just ahead of the Blizzard of 1978.

Beverly Bayley-Smith, a resident of Higgins Beach in Scarborough, said
that Wednesday's storm conditions reminded her of the storm in 1978.

--
We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so that
stupid people won't be offended.

Durham Report: The FBI has an integrity problem. It has none.

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.

Baxter

Jan 13, 2024, 9:44:47 PMJan 13
"Leroy N. Soetoro" <democrat-...@mail.house.gov> wrote in

> https://wgme.com/news/local/portland-prepares-near-record-high-tide-
> reminiscent-1978-blizzard-maine-coastal-flooding-wind-rain-snow
>
> PORTLAND (WGME) -- High tide is at 12:05 p.m. on Saturday, meaning the
> chance for historic coastal flooding is possible in Portland.
>
> With already astronomically high tides, the current forecasted crest
> in Portland is 14.3 feet. This would break the all-time record of
> 14.17 feet set in the blizzard of 1978. Coastal flooding is expected
> to worsen during high tide due to the loss of dunes and protections.
>
> Anywhere along the coastline that sustained major damage from
> Wednesday's storm is likely to experience further damage.
>
> The National Weather Service in Gray has issued coastal flood warnings
> for the entirety of the Maine coastline. These warnings will be in
> effect from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. Peak storm surge of 2.5 to 3
> feet is expected.
>
> https://wgme.com/resources/media/ff5467d8-db09-4e46-8c41-07c6bbaddab5-
> medium16x9_qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq.png
>

> PORTLAND (WGME) -- High tide is at 12:05 p.m. on Saturday, meaning the
> chance for historic coastal flooding is possible in Portland.

That's Portland, Maine - not Portland, Oregon. There's really not that
much interest in what's going on in Maine in an Oregon newsgroup.