Re: What kind of shovel?

Snow Newbie

Feb 14, 2007, 9:17:53 AM2/14/07
New to so much snow and confused by all kind of shovels in the stores
(I am near an Ace and a Home Depot):

narrow, wide;
metal blade, plastic blade, plastic with metal tip;
some feel light, some heavy!

I need to shovel the sidewalk in front, small concrete walkway to the
front stairs, longer brick paths in the backyard. Most action is to
push and gather snow rather than lift and throw.

Dear Chicago snow experts, which kind of shovel is best for your (now
our) city? :-).

Thanks.

peteinchicago

Feb 14, 2007, 9:30:11 AM2/14/07

On Feb 14, 8:17 am, Snow Newbie <new...@no.spam> wrote:

> Dear Chicago snow experts, which kind of shovel is best...

no shovel
that's the best shovel

let someone else do the work

--
you wanna be a chicagoan - you need to learn this shit...and get a
buncha lawn chairs

Harry K

Feb 14, 2007, 9:51:38 AM2/14/07

For a regular snow shovel, be it plastice or metal, be sure it has a
'lip' at the back. If it is only a piece of curved metal, discard
it. When you use one of these and push, the snow just slides up the
curve and off the back.

For a shovel in places that sometimes gets lots of snow, you need two
shovels. One wide and one narrow as a full load of snow on a wide
shovel will be too heavy. Mine are a plastic (actually two, one for
the front door, one for back) with back lip from Ace. The other is a
flat shovel about 10" wide (those were known as 'sh*t shovels' back on
the farm.

Harry K

Harry K

Kristian M Zoerhoff

Feb 14, 2007, 10:30:25 AM2/14/07
On 2007-02-14, peteinchicago <petein...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Feb 14, 8:17 am, Snow Newbie <new...@no.spam> wrote:
>

>> Dear Chicago snow experts, which kind of shovel is best...
>
> no shovel
> that's the best shovel

You're right on that, Pete, but for the wrong reason:

<http://silverbear.biz/>

Baddest-azz snow removal system short of a 2-stage Husqi blower.
I use a medium-sized scoop, with the wheel kit. I do keep one small
plastic shovel for the porch steps and the back deck, but that's it.

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_ kristian...@gmail.com

Jeanne

Feb 14, 2007, 10:33:43 AM2/14/07
Snow Newbie wrote:
> New to so much snow and confused by all kind of shovels in the stores
> (I am near an Ace and a Home Depot):
>
> narrow, wide;

depends on the width of what you're shoveling. In your case, I could go
for narrow.

> metal blade, plastic blade, plastic with metal tip;

metal blade - you need the weight. plastic doesn't do anything.

> some feel light, some heavy!

I prefer heavy so I can easily use the weight of the blade to push the
snow aside. I rarely lift.

barbie gee

Feb 14, 2007, 10:59:08 AM2/14/07

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Jeanne wrote:

> Snow Newbie wrote:
>> New to so much snow and confused by all kind of shovels in the stores
>> (I am near an Ace and a Home Depot):
>> narrow, wide;
>
> depends on the width of what you're shoveling. In your case, I could go for
> narrow.
>
>> metal blade, plastic blade, plastic with metal tip;
> metal blade - you need the weight. plastic doesn't do anything.

two of my "best" shovels are both plastic. Heavy duty plastic, not flimsy
stuff.

similar to these two:
<http://www.midwestrake.com/divisions/sports/products/snowshovel.htm>

and then I have this:
<http://akimages.crossmediaservices.com/dyn_li/200.0.88.0/ACE_imageg_net/graphics/product_images/p1768003reg.jpg>
(Toro power shovel)

Snow Newbie

Feb 14, 2007, 11:21:58 AM2/14/07
Harry K <turnk...@hotmail.com> wrote:

: For a regular snow shovel, be it plastice or metal, be sure it has a
: 'lip' at the back.

Sorry I can't visualize this "back lip", what it is. Is it on the scoop
or the handle?

Snow Newbie

Feb 14, 2007, 12:41:37 PM2/14/07
Kristian M Zoerhoff <kristian...@gmail.com> wrote:

: <http://silverbear.biz/>

:
: Baddest-azz snow removal system short of a 2-stage Husqi blower.
: I use a medium-sized scoop, with the wheel kit.

I haven't seen this anywhere. I must get at least one regular shovel
today, but this seems intriguing enough and I'll keep it inmind a s
along term idea.

Does that bucket thing really work as well as a shovel in removing
snow? :-) What happens when you get to a situation where you must lift
and throw the snow?

Kristian M Zoerhoff

Feb 14, 2007, 1:12:30 PM2/14/07
On 2007-02-14, Snow Newbie <new...@no.spam> wrote:
> Kristian M Zoerhoff <kristian...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>: <http://silverbear.biz/>
>:
>: Baddest-azz snow removal system short of a 2-stage Husqi blower.
>: I use a medium-sized scoop, with the wheel kit.
>
> Does that bucket thing really work as well as a shovel in removing
> snow? :-) What happens when you get to a situation where you must lift
> and throw the snow?

Doesn't happen for me; I just run the scoop right out onto the lawn, then
either jerk it back to "throw" the snow out of the front onto the lawn,
or I tip the scoop up like a dump truck bed to pour the snow out. The latter
works best in tight clearance situations, which I don't have to deal with
out here in da 'burbs.

WDS

Feb 14, 2007, 1:26:03 PM2/14/07
On Feb 14, 9:59 am, barbie gee <barbie....@NOSESPAMgmail.com> wrote:
> two of my "best" shovels are both plastic. Heavy duty plastic, not flimsy
> stuff.

Plastic is fine with a steel blade. If you are just going to push
snow then one of those wide pushers works great. They suck for
shoveling, though.

I suggest one with a bent handle. My back used to hurt a lot until I
switched to one of those.

> and then I have this:

> <http://akimages.crossmediaservices.com/dyn_li/200.0.88.0/ACE_imageg_n...>
> (Toro power shovel)

I used to shovel snow when I was in school and one of my neighbors had
one of those things. It worked fine for light, shallow snow but not
for heavy or deep snow. It didn't work at all for the plow wall.

I got one of these when my old walk behind blower died.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?vertical=LAWN&cat=Snow+Equipment&subcat=Accessories&pid=07124838000&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Todd H.

Feb 14, 2007, 2:49:04 PM2/14/07
Snow Newbie <new...@no.spam> writes:

You're screwed is what happens.

For a driveway and moderate snow, that silverbear looks rather novel,
maybe even a sidewalk, but it is far from the right answer for a snow
newbie's first shovel. :-)

--
Todd H.
http://toddh.net/

Sandra Loosemore

Feb 14, 2007, 9:39:20 PM2/14/07
Kristian M Zoerhoff <kristian...@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2007-02-14, peteinchicago <petein...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > On Feb 14, 8:17 am, Snow Newbie <new...@no.spam> wrote:
> >> Dear Chicago snow experts, which kind of shovel is best...
> >
> > no shovel
> > that's the best shovel
>
> You're right on that, Pete, but for the wrong reason:
>
> <http://silverbear.biz/>
>
> Baddest-azz snow removal system short of a 2-stage Husqi blower.
> I use a medium-sized scoop, with the wheel kit. I do keep one small
> plastic shovel for the porch steps and the back deck, but that's it.

This is what they call a "Yooper Scooper" in Upper Michigan, where
folks have to deal with tons of lake-effect snow every winter. They
work quite well for clearing large areas, but you'll still need a
shovel for digging out your car, steps, etc.

-Sandra the cynic

Harry K

Feb 14, 2007, 10:33:10 PM2/14/07
On Feb 14, 8:21 am, Snow Newbie <new...@no.spam> wrote:

It is about an 2" porftion a potion of the shovel blade that is bent
up at the back side across the entire width. Stops the snow from
sliding right off the back side. Really cheap shovels are built that
way. I got one because I didn't pay attention when I picked it off
the rack.

Harry K

peteinchicago

Feb 15, 2007, 4:37:03 AM2/15/07

On Feb 14, 12:26 pm, "WDS" <B...@seurer.net> wrote:

> I got one of these when my old walk behind blower died.

walk behind blower

i'd like to have the rights to that concept

Harry K

Feb 15, 2007, 10:50:10 AM2/15/07

Depends. For serious snow I'll use mine, up to about 4" or so I'll
shovel the walks. Can be done shoveling by the time I get the blower
out, dress appropriately etc. Of course for the driveway (3 car wide
x 100ft long plus 20 ft of state highway plowed into it) it is the
blower if any snow at all needs to be moved.

Harry K

WDS

Feb 15, 2007, 11:13:42 AM2/15/07

??? Huh?

Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Feb 15, 2007, 1:59:28 PM2/15/07
In chi.general barbie gee <barbi...@nosespamgmail.com> wrote:

Is one of those Toro power shovels any better than just using the leaf blower
on fluffy snow? (doesn't look like it would push much...)

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page

aeme...@att.net

Feb 15, 2007, 6:26:35 PM2/15/07

"Chicago Paddling-Fishing" <j...@ripco.com> wrote in message

> In chi.general barbie gee <barbi...@nosespamgmail.com> wrote:
>

> : On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Jeanne wrote:
>
> : > Snow Newbie wrote:
> : >> New to so much snow and confused by all kind of shovels in the stores
> : >> (I am near an Ace and a Home Depot):
> : >> narrow, wide;
> : >
> : > depends on the width of what you're shoveling. In your case, I could
> go for
> : > narrow.
> : >
> : >> metal blade, plastic blade, plastic with metal tip;
> : > metal blade - you need the weight. plastic doesn't do anything.
>
> : two of my "best" shovels are both plastic. Heavy duty plastic, not
> flimsy
> : stuff.
>
> : similar to these two:
> : <http://www.midwestrake.com/divisions/sports/products/snowshovel.htm>
>
> : and then I have this:
> :
> <http://akimages.crossmediaservices.com/dyn_li/200.0.88.0/ACE_imageg_net/graphics/product_images/p1768003reg.jpg>
> : (Toro power shovel)
>
> Is one of those Toro power shovels any better than just using the leaf
> blower
> on fluffy snow? (doesn't look like it would push much...)

Chuckle. I've had great luck with my leaf blower this year, since most of
the snow has been the light'n'fluffy kind. The neighbors give me funny
looks, and probably hate the noise, but whatever works. I usually have to
use the shovel on the plow dregs down by the road, though. Also have to
shovel if it is too deep, or too wet. I'll probably break down a buy a snow
blower come spring, if any are left and on sale- but that means I have to
rearrange garage to make a corner for it, since I ain't gonna schlep it all
the way from the shed every time.

aem sends...

aem sends....

KLS

Feb 15, 2007, 8:06:09 PM2/15/07

I can't comment on those power shovels because they don't suit my
needs, but I can HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Honda HS520 snow thrower for a
number of reasons. First, it uses regular gas and doesn't require a
separate canister with that gas/oil mix. Second, it's very compact
and takes up almost no room in the garage (and this is a huge issue
for us as we're barely able to open our car doors when we have both
cars in the garage). Third, it is a real workhorse and highly
effective if you stay on top of your snowfall. Yesterday we had 17.8
inches of snowl, and I was out there three different times with no
problems moving the snow off my 100 ft. long city driveway
(understand, there are houses on both sides, so I have to blow the
snow ahead to get it off the driveway). Fourth, it's very easy to
pick up and put on a deck, which is what I do for our big deck in
order to clear it off so we can get to the hot tub. A great, great
machine that's more versatile for my purposes in a city house than a
regular 2-stage snowblower that just hogs space in the garage and
requires gas/oil mix.

Dan

Feb 19, 2007, 7:43:36 AM2/19/07

I have an Ariens 1028 (four stroke, electric start, two stage, 6 forward
speeds two reverse, heated handgrips and headlight, 28 inch auger), which
will move a 3 foot drift 50 feet in the air, and 100 feet away. I can
clear a 100 foot driveway, that is 2 cars wide in about 20 minutes. For
me, the Honda's do not work.

-Dan

kenji

Feb 19, 2007, 8:01:16 AM2/19/07
In article <xIWdnYmQBODlBkTY...@comcast.com>,
"Dan" <mercurysi...@comcast.net> wrote:

I have a 15 year old with a great work ethic and a Home Depot plastic
shovel

krw

Feb 19, 2007, 7:05:54 PM2/19/07
In article <kenji-5F15EE.07011619022007@localhost>, ke...@ripco.com
says...
Trust me. KLS' Ariens is cheaper. ;-)

--
Keith

kenji

Feb 19, 2007, 9:35:49 PM2/19/07
In article <MPG.204405687...@news.individual.net>,
krw <k...@att.bizzzz> wrote:

will it hopefully wipe your ass when needed, when you are 80 years old?

krw

Feb 20, 2007, 9:16:20 AM2/20/07
In article <kenji-4B038F.20354919022007@localhost>, ke...@ripco.com
I see. You raise children for slave labor. ...and to wipe your
ass. Got it.

--
Keith

kenji

Feb 20, 2007, 9:27:50 AM2/20/07
In article <MPG.2044ccbf5...@news.individual.net>,
krw <k...@att.bizzzz> wrote:

you were raised any differently?

krw

Feb 20, 2007, 9:31:54 AM2/20/07
In article <kenji-AA1FD0.08275020022007@localhost>, ke...@ripco.com
Yes.

--
Keith

kenji

Feb 20, 2007, 10:09:57 AM2/20/07
In article <MPG.2044d067a...@news.individual.net>,
krw <k...@att.bizzzz> wrote:

tell us about the experience

krw

Feb 20, 2007, 11:45:13 AM2/20/07
In article <kenji-4C7288.09095720022007@localhost>, ke...@ripco.com
It was wonderful growing up as a human rather than human chattel.
I passed the feeling on to my son. He's not responsible for me,
though helps out. You should try treating your son as a breathing
human instead of your long term care insurance plan. You can buy
them.

--
Keith

kenji

Feb 20, 2007, 12:34:57 PM2/20/07
In article <MPG.2044efa44...@news.individual.net>,
krw <k...@att.bizzzz> wrote:

I'd like your son's personal opinion.

krw, jr.

Feb 20, 2007, 1:37:54 PM2/20/07

There is no freaking WAY i'm wiping my dad's ass when he's 80. Or 79.

--
Keith, Jr.

krw

Feb 20, 2007, 2:03:02 PM2/20/07
In article <kenji-208A59.11345720022007@localhost>, ke...@ripco.com
I'd like your son's opinion the reason he exists; to wipe your ass.

--
Keith

krw

Feb 20, 2007, 2:06:32 PM2/20/07
In article <45DB40...@trentland.com>, ooz...@trentland.com
says...
Nice, kid. Now go shovel out the driveway! ;-)

--
Keith

kenji

Feb 20, 2007, 2:18:14 PM2/20/07