Re: California's Ponderosa Lodge razed in deliberately set fire: 'We are devastated'

Joe the liar

Mar 13, 2023, 12:05:02 AM3/13/23
In article <srvtka$be1d$4...@news.freedyn.de>
Molly Bolt <mollyth...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No business so they burned it down.

The atmospheric river storms that have battered California this
winter may have caused an unlikely disaster: a devastating fire
that has razed the Ponderosa Lodge in the southern Sierra Nevada.

The lodge, located in the Sequoia National Forest, caught fire
on Friday. Although the cause of the fire has yet to be
officially determined, lodge owner Dave Sharp wrote on Facebook
that they believe “rain melted a large chunk of ice off roof and
into a propane line.” The lodge and its restaurant, general
store, tavern and accommodations are a total loss.

“We lost the entire lodge. We are devastated and heartbroken to
say the least,” Sharp wrote. “... The lodge has witnessed
decades of joy, comradery, community, laughter, and satisfied a
million hungry tummies. All gone in a matter of minutes.”

A GoFundMe raising money for the Sharp family said washed-out
roads and dangerous weather made it difficult for firefighters
to reach the engulfed property; that same day, “life-
threatening” flash floods swept through the town.

Sharp said the Ponderosa Lodge was uninsured, as its previous
insurance company dropped it during wildfire season.

The fate of the lodge is, for now, undecided. It has served
tourists and locals since the 1960s and, according to newspaper
clippings, has survived at least one major fire before. In 1979,
a coffee warmer caught fire and badly damaged the cocktail
lounge and dining room.

<https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/calif-mountain-ponderosa-
lodge-razed-fire-17834747.php>