Solar indigestion.

Gideon Hallett

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
Word up, folks; it's another of those incredibly pointless space
weather alerts.

The Sun (for whatever reason) has decided to spit out 5 major (X)
flares in the last 2 days, including the most powerful one in
many years. As such, this means that there is likely to be a fair
amount of charged particles heading Earthwards; and thus a good
chance of Northern Lights. So, if you fancy seeing them, think
positive thoughts about clear weather and massive power failures;
or go somewhere like Northern Canananada and look up...

Standard disclaimer; this could all be a false alarm, or blitzed
by the weather's wilful perversity, but still...

Gideon
--
|==diog...@freeuk.com=(XNFP)====================== \\\\ waaa! |
| Given a little bit of thrust, most hedgehogs ___\\\\\\____o |

Ben Hutchings

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
In article <atmd3a217...@news.freeuk.net>,

Gideon Hallett <diog...@freeuk.com> wrote:
>Word up, folks; it's another of those incredibly pointless space
>weather alerts.
>
>The Sun (for whatever reason) has decided to spit out 5 major (X)
>flares in the last 2 days, including the most powerful one in
>many years. As such, this means that there is likely to be a fair
>amount of charged particles heading Earthwards; and thus a good
>chance of Northern Lights. So, if you fancy seeing them, think
>positive thoughts about clear weather and massive power failures;
>or go somewhere like Northern Canananada and look up...

Unfortunately, I was on a plane at the time.

Fortunately, this plane was taking me from Los Angeles to London,
passing over Northern Canada, and I had a window seat.

Unfortunately, the window seat was on the right-hand side of the
plane, so my window faced south.

Fortunately, my seat was in an exit row, with no seat in front, so I
had a fairly good sleep.

Did I miss anything?
--
Ben Hutchings | personal web site: http://www.zzumbouk.demon.co.uk/womble/
Every program is either trivial or else contains at least one bug

Gideon Hallett

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 23:19:23 +0000, Ben Hutchings
<womble-nos...@zzumbouk.demon.co.uk> shared with us:

>In article <atmd3a217...@news.freeuk.net>,
>Gideon Hallett <diog...@freeuk.com> wrote:
>>Word up, folks; it's another of those incredibly pointless space
>>weather alerts.

<snip>

>Unfortunately, I was on a plane at the time.
>
>Fortunately, this plane was taking me from Los Angeles to London,
>passing over Northern Canada, and I had a window seat.
>
>Unfortunately, the window seat was on the right-hand side of the
>plane, so my window faced south.
>
>Fortunately, my seat was in an exit row, with no seat in front, so I
>had a fairly good sleep.
>
>Did I miss anything?

Try going to
http://www.spaceweather.com/aurora/gallery_26nov00.html and
having a gander at the photos; it's entirely likely that you did
miss something.

However, that said, it could have been anything between a small
green smudge on the horizon and a psychedelic spectacular; these
things are notoriously unpredictable and fickle.

Of course, if you're really serious about seeing them, move to
Cananada and work for e-sith. Or something...

Gideon.

(BTW; I hope nobody objects to me posting occasional posts on the
subject; I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's a sight
I'd recommend seeing if you ever get the chance; see also
http://www.tuatha.org/~mpk/words/aurora.txt ...)

Paul Mc Auley

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
Gideon Hallett <diog...@freeuk.com> wrote on Thu, 07 Dec 2000 19:03:36 +0000:

| (BTW; I hope nobody objects to me posting occasional posts on the
| subject; I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's a sight

Unless there's something very wrong with my feed, they're hardly drowning
out the rest of the signal... I understand how certain other froups are
flooded, but I'd certainly be in favour of a little traffic to keep the
group from completely dropping off the scope...
Paul
--
--- Paul Mc Auley <pmca...@iol.ie>