Lunar Eclipse

Suzi

Jan 5, 2001, 7:42:54 AM1/5/01
For anybody interested, there will be a total lunar eclipse on Tuesday,
9th January 2001, commencing about 18:40, when the moon enters the
earth's shadow, and moving into totality between 19:50 and 20:52.
During this phase the moon usually changes to a deep coppery red colour,
however, it is likely to be brighter on this occasion, due to the lower
level of atmospheric debris from volcanic eruptions, etc.

Hopefully, the skies will be clear as it is quite a spectacular sight
(if you're into that sort of thing).

Suzi

Suzi

Jan 5, 2001, 2:51:49 PM1/5/01
In article <atmdMPG.14c01f7...@news.lspace.org>, Patrick
Dersjant (pat...@lspace.org) wibbled...

> a - a scroll of news from Suzi.
> Read it? y

> Is there any information on where this will be visible, do you maybe have
> a URL? But then, if it would be visible from the Netherlands, it probably
> wouldn't because of the overhanging clouds <g>.

No URL I'm afraid, as this was information passed to me by a keen
amateur astronomer in the office (I'll see if he has more details on
Monday)... but I'd certainly expect it to be visible from Swanesa <g>

Suzi

Colm Buckley

Jan 6, 2001, 6:10:06 PM1/6/01
> == Patrick Dersjant <pat...@lspace.org>
>> == Suzi

>> For anybody interested, there will be a total lunar eclipse on
>> Tuesday, 9th January 2001, commencing about 18:40, when the moon
>> enters the earth's shadow, and moving into totality between 19:50
>> and 20:52.

> Is there any information on where this will be visible, do you maybe

> have a URL? But then, if it would be visible from the Netherlands,
> it probably wouldn't because of the overhanging clouds <g>.

Lunar eclipses are visible wherever the Moon is visible. If the Moon
is visible in the sky in your part of the world during the eclipse,
then you'll see the effect Suzi mentions. *Solar* eclipses are the
shadow of the Moon cast on (a small part of) the surface of the Earth,
*Lunar* eclipses are the shadow of the Earth case on the surface of
the Moon.

HTH,

Colm

--
Colm Buckley, NewWorld Commerce, 16 South Cumberland St., Dublin 2, Ireland.
Personal: +353 87 2469146 / co...@tuatha.org / http://www.tuatha.org/~colm/