London meet 6 October @ Porterhouse, Covent Garden

Tony Finch

Sep 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/28/00
I am currently in London in order to get my visa (which has finally been
approved) and to get my things shipped to San Francisco. So I thought it
would be a good idea to have a meet, and try out the new Porterhouse that
has been imported from Dublin to Covent Garden. I'm not sure exactly where
it is in Covent Garden though -- Gideon, can you provide the details?
Their ad in the latest "What's Brewing" still says "Open June 2000,
builders permitting", but it also says there is an Oktoberfest that week
which sounds like a bonus.

Anyway, Porterhouse, Covent Garden, Friday 6th October, after work.

Tony.
--
en oeccget g mtcaa f.a.n.finch
v spdlkishrhtewe y d...@dotat.at

Andy Davison

Sep 28, 2000, 7:54:05 PM9/28/00
On 28 Sep 2000, in message<atmdOQz*rI...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,Tony
Finch <d...@dotat.at> said ...

> I am currently in London in order to get my visa (which has finally been
> approved) and to get my things shipped to San Francisco. So I thought it
> would be a good idea to have a meet, and try out the new Porterhouse that
> has been imported from Dublin to Covent Garden. I'm not sure exactly where
> it is in Covent Garden though -- Gideon, can you provide the details?
> Their ad in the latest "What's Brewing" still says "Open June 2000,
> builders permitting", but it also says there is an Oktoberfest that week
> which sounds like a bonus.
>
> Anyway, Porterhouse, Covent Garden, Friday 6th October, after work.

It's in Maiden Lane the other side of Covent Garden from the tube station
and go down Bedford St then left into Maiden Lane. Get a mortgage before you
go. The beer's bleeding pricey (£2.50 per pint upwards). If you've got your
buy-one-get-one-free leaflet from What's Brewing the other month take it
along.

--
Andy Davison
andy.d...@btinternet.com

Mike Knell

Oct 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/2/00

andy.d...@btinternet.com wrote:
(The Covent Garden branch of the Porterhouse)

>It's in Maiden Lane the other side of Covent Garden from the tube station
>and go down Bedford St then left into Maiden Lane. Get a mortgage before you
>go. The beer's bleeding pricey (£2.50 per pint upwards). If you've got your
>buy-one-get-one-free leaflet from What's Brewing the other month take it
>along.

2.50 per pint upwards? Aha, looks like they've imported the prices from
Dublin as well, for the authentic Porterhouse experience.

They're not desperately expensive relative to other pubs here, but pub beer
in this part of the world is sufficiently extortionately priced for the
government to have taken an interest in it recently..

m.

Alex Ridge

Oct 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/2/00
"Mike Knell" <user...@vanitydomain.org> wrote in message

> andy.d...@btinternet.com wrote:
> (The Covent Garden branch of the Porterhouse)
> >It's in Maiden Lane the other side of Covent Garden from the tube station
> >and go down Bedford St then left into Maiden Lane. Get a mortgage before
> >you go. The beer's bleeding pricey (£2.50 per pint upwards). If you've
got
> >your buy-one-get-one-free leaflet from What's Brewing the other month
take it
> >along.
>
> 2.50 per pint upwards? Aha, looks like they've imported the prices from
> Dublin as well, for the authentic Porterhouse experience.
>
> They're not desperately expensive relative to other pubs here, but pub
beer
> in this part of the world is sufficiently extortionately priced for the
> government to have taken an interest in it recently..

You mean that beer is the only thing in the whole of Ireland that isn't
subsidised by the EU?

<gd&r>

Alex

Alex Ridge

Oct 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/2/00
"Mike Knell" <user...@vanitydomain.org> wrote in message

> andy.d...@btinternet.com wrote:
> (The Covent Garden branch of the Porterhouse)
> >It's in Maiden Lane the other side of Covent Garden from the tube station
> >and go down Bedford St then left into Maiden Lane. Get a mortgage before
you
> >go. The beer's bleeding pricey (£2.50 per pint upwards). If you've got
your
> >buy-one-get-one-free leaflet from What's Brewing the other month take it
> >along.

Colm Buckley

Oct 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/3/00
> == Alex Ridge <hara...@lspace.org>

> You mean that beer is the only thing in the whole of Ireland that
> isn't subsidised by the EU?

Where are your computers made, Alex?

Colm (at least we export *something*)

--
Colm Buckley BA BF | NewWorld Commerce, 44 Westland Row, Dublin 2, Ireland
co...@tuatha.org (personal) | colm.b...@nwcgroup.com (business)

Alex Ridge

Oct 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/3/00
"Colm Buckley" <co...@tuatha.org> wrote in message

> > == Alex Ridge <hara...@lspace.org>
>
> > You mean that beer is the only thing in the whole of Ireland that
> > isn't subsidised by the EU?
>
> Where are your computers made, Alex?

Well, my IBM Thinkpad says "Manufactured by IBM UK Ltd. Greenock, Scotland" on
the bottom of it...

As for the component parts; the processor is manufactured in the USA, the CD
drive is from China, the PCMCIA cards are from USA, screen is from Taiwan, the
battery is from Japan, the power supply is from the UK and the floppy and hard
drives are from the USA...

> Colm (at least we export *something*)

So do we, it would appear :)

Alex "Reintroducing Conflict with Ireland since 1973" R.

Warwick

Oct 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/3/00
In article <atmd39d9da00$1...@warwick.staticky.com>, hara...@lspace.org
bespake...

> Well, my IBM Thinkpad says "Manufactured by IBM UK Ltd. Greenock, Scotland" on
> the bottom of it...
>
> As for the component parts; the processor is manufactured in the USA, the CD
> drive is from China, the PCMCIA cards are from USA, screen is from Taiwan, the
> battery is from Japan, the power supply is from the UK and the floppy and hard
> drives are from the USA...

Note to self. When you pull the hard drive out of a windows2000 box to
find out where it was made, the windows2000 box will blue screen.

Warwick "Doing stupid things to computers since 1981"

Jenny Holmberg

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
Warwick <use...@mcnicholl.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Note to self. When you pull the hard drive out of a windows2000 box to
> find out where it was made, the windows2000 box will blue screen.

Our NT admin was complaining about W2K yesterday... "NT was much
better, because when anything was wrong we could just reboot it. Now
we have to actually fix the problem ourselves!"

Jenny "taunting NT admins since 1998"

--
Jenny With the Axe, and the Temper http://www.algonet.se/~jenny-h/
#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Ben Hutchings

Oct 4, 2000, 9:02:57 PM10/4/00
In article <atmdxrzz4s...@gruk.algonet.se>,

Jenny Holmberg <jen...@algonet.se> wrote:
>Warwick <use...@mcnicholl.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Note to self. When you pull the hard drive out of a windows2000 box to
>> find out where it was made, the windows2000 box will blue screen.
>
>Our NT admin was complaining about W2K yesterday... "NT was much
>better, because when anything was wrong we could just reboot it. Now
>we have to actually fix the problem ourselves!"
>
>Jenny "taunting NT admins since 1998"

Our PDC, running NT 4, was been having some problems (possibly
crashes; I'm not sure) with backups recently. The backup software
vendor now only supports Windows 2000, so our CTO decided to `upgrade'
the PDC last week. (This is a small company and we don't actually
have our own admin, so this is part of his job, not a case of
interference.) Since then it has been crashing several times a day,
despite his juggling SCSI/tape drivers (which seem to be the problem).

*sigh* I thought making backups was supposed to prevent our data
becoming inaccessible.
--
Ben Hutchings | personal web site: http://www.zzumbouk.demon.co.uk/womble/

Gideon Hallett

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
On 2 Oct 2000 12:39:08 GMT, Mike Knell
<user...@vanitydomain.org> shared with us:

>andy.d...@btinternet.com wrote:
>(The Covent Garden branch of the Porterhouse)

>>It's in Maiden Lane the other side of Covent Garden from the tube station
>>and go down Bedford St then left into Maiden Lane. Get a mortgage before you
>>go. The beer's bleeding pricey (£2.50 per pint upwards). If you've got your
>>buy-one-get-one-free leaflet from What's Brewing the other month take it
>>along.

The beer's also *good*. This is, IMO, a Good Thing.

And the spatial geometry of the place does lend itself to meets
quite well; they seem to have taken an ordinary building and said
"How many unlikely corners can we fit in a pub?".

>They're not desperately expensive relative to other pubs here, but pub beer
>in this part of the world is sufficiently extortionately priced for the
>government to have taken an interest in it recently..

Hmm. Expensive is relative concept here, anyway; Temple Brau on a
really hot day is worth a good deal more than £2.50 IMO.

Gideon.

--
|==diog...@freeuk.com=(XNFP)====================== \\\\ waaa! |
| Given a little bit of thrust, most hedgehogs ___\\\\\\____o |

Andy Davison

Oct 5, 2000, 8:11:26 PM10/5/00
On 05 Oct 2000, in
message<atmd39dc3...@news.freeuk.net>,diog...@freeuk.com (Gideon
Hallett) said ...

> The beer's also *good*. This is, IMO, a Good Thing.

Definitely good but I'm used to the prices at the Head of Steam and a
couple of Wetherspoon's which are a lot cheaper and the beer is as good. By
the way, on a different note, if you're into that sort of thing there's
quite a good crime bookshop (Crime In Store) in Bedford St. I got a Michael
Innes paperback I'd never seen before and the Judge Dee book Robert van
Gulik translated (rather than one of the ones he wrote from scratch).

> And the spatial geometry of the place does lend itself to meets
> quite well; they seem to have taken an ordinary building and said
> "How many unlikely corners can we fit in a pub?".

I didn't like the interior. It's too much like a plumber's merchant's

> Hmm. Expensive is relative concept here, anyway; Temple Brau on a
> really hot day is worth a good deal more than £2.50 IMO.

I have to admit to being partial to Hoegaarden on a really hot day. That's
£3 per pint at the Head of Steam and £3.75 (I think) at the Euston flyer.
Which is bloody pricey considering I can make a passable replica for less
than 30p per pint (but I ain't paying taxes or VAT on the finished product)

--
Andy Davison
andy.d...@btinternet.com

Brian {Hamilton Kelly}

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00
In article <atmd8rggkr$bi9$1...@zzumbouk.demon.co.uk>
wom...@zzumbouk.demon.co.uk "Ben Hutchings" writes:

> Our PDC, running NT 4, was been having some problems (possibly
> crashes; I'm not sure) with backups recently. The backup software
> vendor now only supports Windows 2000, so our CTO decided to `upgrade'
> the PDC last week. (This is a small company and we don't actually
> have our own admin, so this is part of his job, not a case of
> interference.) Since then it has been crashing several times a day,
> despite his juggling SCSI/tape drivers (which seem to be the problem).

Doesn't he *know* that you have to sacrifice at least a goat, preferably
a virgin, to handle SCIS properly?

Sigh :-(

--
Brian {Hamilton Kelly} b...@dsl.co.uk
"We have gone from a world of concentrated knowledge and wisdom to one of

Thomas Pratchett

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00
<snip>

So, what time did people actually start arriving? I kept wandering around
there for about until 7-ish, pushing past ignorant city-types who wouldn'
get out of the way, despite a very loud 'excuse me!' in their ear...

And, by gods is that place big.. I kept discovering secret corners and
sections...

Thomas

Gideon Hallett

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
On Fri, 06 Oct 2000 22:27:39 +0100, "Thomas Pratchett"
<pth...@dirk01.globalnet.co.uk> shared with us:

><snip>
>
>So, what time did people actually start arriving? I kept wandering around
>there for about until 7-ish, pushing past ignorant city-types who wouldn'
>get out of the way, despite a very loud 'excuse me!' in their ear...

I turned up at ~18:15, realized that they'd imported the crowds
from Dublin, and decided that the sitting space just outside the
front door was the best place to see people.

Ftony turned up at around 19:30, Womble turned up around 21:00,
and Melusine turned up around 21:40.

Good way of getting around that place: shove. And growl if need
be.

Note to self: if using the Porterhouse as a venue, some night
that *isn't* Friday or Saturday would be a good idea.

>And, by gods is that place big.. I kept discovering secret corners and
>sections...

That's one of the things I really do like about the place; it has
lots and lots of varying sections you can fit a small group in.

Gideon.

(hung over after slightly too much to drink and a curry in Brick
Lane afterwards.)