DWCon - Prize Draw: _The Thief of Time_

Karen Hanna Kruzycka

Feb 19, 2001, 7:53:05 PM2/19/01
Terry's next Discworld novel, _The Thief of Time_, will be released in
May this year. How would you like to own a rare advance copy? How
would you like to be the first among your friends to read it?

For just two pounds fifty pence, you can have a chance to do just
that. The Discworld Convention 2002 is holding a Prize Draw with a
valuable proof copy of _The Thief of Time_ as First Prize! Other
prizes include retired Clarecraft pieces and a unique T-shirt
featuring Rincewind by Paul Kidby, among other tempting Discworld
goodies.

Proceeds from this draw will be donated to Terry's adopted charity,
the Orangutan Foundation. To enter, visit:

http://www.dwcon.org/prize_draw.php3

You can pay by cheque or postal order, or online by credit/debit card,
using our secure payment system. The closing date for entries is March
31st, so buy your tickets soon!

Karen/Vodka Vixen
--
* "2002: A Discworld Odyssey" * August 16th-19th, 2002 *
* Web: http://www.dwcon.org/ * Email: in...@dwcon.org *

Jan Ingvoldstad

Feb 20, 2001, 4:51:45 AM2/20/01
On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 00:53:05 +0000, Karen Hanna Kruzycka
<vi...@lspace.org> said:

> You can pay by cheque or postal order, or online by credit/debit card,
> using our secure payment system.

And where is said secure payment system? There is no obvious link to
it.

--
In the beginning was the Bit, and the Bit was Zero. Then Someone
said, Let there be One, and there was One. And Someone blessed them,

Bluebottle

Feb 20, 2001, 6:20:55 PM2/20/01
"Jan Ingvoldstad" <ja...@ifi.uio.no> wrote

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 00:53:05 +0000, Karen Hanna Kruzycka
> <vi...@lspace.org> said:
>
> > You can pay by cheque or postal order, or online by credit/debit
> > card, using our secure payment system.
>
> And where is said secure payment system? There is no obvious link
> to it.

At the bottom of the page, where it asks you to submit your details.

Well it worked for me anyway.

Julie

Jan Ingvoldstad

Feb 21, 2001, 5:48:57 AM2/21/01
On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:20:55 +0000, "Bluebottle"
<blueb...@afper.co.uk> said:

> At the bottom of the page, where it asks you to submit your details.

> Well it worked for me anyway.

I don't see anywhere to fill in credit card information, nor any
indication that anything is secure.

Colm Buckley

Feb 21, 2001, 12:32:38 PM2/21/01
> == Jan Ingvoldstad <ja...@ifi.uio.no>

[... regarding the Discworld Convention prize draw ...]

> I don't see anywhere to fill in credit card information, nor any
> indication that anything is secure.

For clarification:

You enter your name and address on the dwcon.org web page. Once that
information is verified, you are transferred to a secure form at
Worldpay, which is the Convention's credit-card handling service.
Your credit-card details are transmitted using http/ssl, and are not
kept at the dwcon.org site.

Colm

--
Colm Buckley, NewWorld Commerce, 16 South Cumberland St., Dublin 2, Ireland.
Personal: +353 87 2469146 / co...@tuatha.org / http://www.tuatha.org/~colm/

Karen Hanna Kruzycka

Feb 21, 2001, 2:37:06 PM2/21/01
In article <atmdoasu2...@thrir.ifi.uio.no>, ja...@ifi.uio.no
says...
[question re: secure payments on the Convention site]

Although various members of the committee do frequent atmd, the most
reliable way to get a query answered is by mailing (or
indeed CCing) in...@dwcon.org, or webm...@dwcon.org for Web-related
questions. However I think Jan's question has now been answered
elsewhere.

Cheers,

Jan Ingvoldstad

Feb 22, 2001, 6:57:49 AM2/22/01
On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 19:37:06 +0000, Karen Hanna Kruzycka
<vi...@lspace.org> said:

> Although various members of the committee do frequent atmd, the most
> reliable way to get a query answered is by mailing (or
> indeed CCing) in...@dwcon.org, or webm...@dwcon.org for Web-related
> questions.

<gripe>

Yes, well, I responded to a news article posted by _you_, not a web
document made by some unknown committee member(s). The claim about
secure transactions being available was made by _you_, and not the web
site, so of course the question comes in a response to _your_ news
article, and not to what...@dwcon.org -- the latter would be
inappropriate.

News works in the way that when _you_ post a claim on news, then _you_
will be asked (on news!) about the claim, not some mailing list found
on the web site you refer to.

</gripe>

> However I think Jan's question has now been answered
> elsewhere.

It's been adequately answered by Colm's reply.

Karen Hanna Kruzycka

Feb 22, 2001, 10:13:07 AM2/22/01
In article <atmdoassn...@fjorir.ifi.uio.no>, ja...@ifi.uio.no
says...

> <gripe>
>
> Yes, well, I responded to a news article posted by _you_, not a web
> document made by some unknown committee member(s). The claim about
> secure transactions being available was made by _you_, and not the web
> site, so of course the question comes in a response to _your_ news
> article, and not to what...@dwcon.org -- the latter would be
> inappropriate.
>
> News works in the way that when _you_ post a claim on news, then _you_
> will be asked (on news!) about the claim, not some mailing list found
> on the web site you refer to.
>
> </gripe>

Actually, Jan, my advice to email queries instead of (or as well as)
posting them to Usenet was a general comment, not aimed specifically
at you. The point I was trying to make was that others may make the
assumption that you did - that because a Convention announcement
appears on the group, a follow-up to that announcement will be read
promptly by one of the committee. So the issue needed to be clarified.

Convention announcements are posted to alt.fan.pratchett.announce, and
therefore appear on alt.books.pratchett and alt.fan.pratchett too.
atmd is also included in these announcements because it doesn't
receive afpa but it's likely the information will be of interest to
the newsgroup subscribers. However, a DWCon announcement on atmd, afp,
or abp is not a guarantee that we will scan these groups for follow-
ups. It's very *likely* that we'll see any replies, but (at the risk
of repeating myself) the *best* way to get a response is to email the
Convention.

FWIW, our Webmaster doesn't usually read atmd, but he *does* read
webm...@dwcon.org mail, which is why that address is quoted on the
Website. Just in case anyone is left in any doubt by Jan's comments -
you will not be asked for your credit card information until you have
entered our secure transaction environment hosted at WorldPay. To
quote from our site: "When you click the "Confirm" button, you will
enter the Worldpay secure transaction environment. Your credit card
details will be encrypted before being sent to Worldpay. The Discworld
Convention 2002 does not receive or store any of the credit card
details you supply to Worldpay."

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Andy Brown

Feb 22, 2001, 11:43:59 AM2/22/01
On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:13:07 +0000, Karen Hanna Kruzycka
<vi...@lspace.org> wrote:

>The point I was trying to make was that others may make the
>assumption that you did - that because a Convention announcement
>appears on the group, a follow-up to that announcement will be read
>promptly by one of the committee. So the issue needed to be clarified.

Whatever happened to the old idea of reading groups that you post to?

--
Andy Brown
At work. All opinions are my own.

Karen Hanna Kruzycka

Feb 22, 2001, 1:37:12 PM2/22/01
In article <atmdslrn99age...@scooby.gauk.golder.com>,
spam...@golder.co.uk says...

> On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:13:07 +0000, Karen Hanna Kruzycka
> <vi...@lspace.org> wrote:
> >
> >The point I was trying to make was that others may make the
> >assumption that you did - that because a Convention announcement
> >appears on the group, a follow-up to that announcement will be read
> >promptly by one of the committee. So the issue needed to be clarified.
> >

> Whatever happened to the old idea of reading groups that you post to?

As is obvious from the fact that Colm and I both responded to Jan's
posts, committee members *do* read this group.

However, the best way to obtain a prompt response from the right
person is to e-mail, the Convention on the appropriate address or cc
on your follow-up.

Organising a successful Convention is a time-consuming activity - we
do make as much effort as possible to read the ngs, but email is a
much more immediate and reliable method for enquiries. Please help us
to help you... :o)

Thanks,

Jan Ingvoldstad

Feb 24, 2001, 5:02:02 AM2/24/01
<vi...@lspace.org> said:

> Actually, Jan, my advice to email queries instead of (or as well as)
> posting them to Usenet was a general comment, not aimed specifically
> at you.

Okay, I'm sorry I exploded.