Christianity is like the Borg LOL

John D Leister

Sep 6, 2001, 10:51:54 PM9/6/01
Christianity is like the Borg

You either must assimilate and conform or you get discarded

J D Leister

Sep 7, 2001, 11:45:42 AM9/7/01
John D Leister wrote:

One other thing I have found in some churches both big
and small is that if you're not in the "in group" or
involved in some kind of leadership role you are treated
pretty much as an outsider, or left to your own devices.

That's a sad witness in itself for most churches, but it's
pretty much the way things are these days.

David Castles

Sep 11, 2001, 9:39:18 AM9/11/01

J D Leister wrote:

Well why are you there at all?
Dave

Lawrence Meckan

Sep 11, 2001, 11:07:47 AM9/11/01
On Sat, 08 Sep 2001 01:15:42 +0930, J D Leister <joh...@senet.com.au>
wrote:

> John D Leister wrote:
>
> > Christianity is like the Borg
> >
> > You either must assimilate and conform or you get
> > discarded
>

> One other thing I have found in some churches both big
> and small is that if you're not in the "in group" or
> involved in some kind of leadership role you are treated
> pretty much as an outsider, or left to your own devices.

"In group" or in leadership ?

Define the "in group". Define what involvement in leadership you're
talking about.

If a people have a sense of ownership about something, be it a church
youth group, a music band, or anything else, they will invest time and
effort into it.

It does reflect the church as a body to have the church itself own that
which makes it function (Pardon the esotericisms)..

You want to be treated as part of the community of fellowship that is in
the church, John ? Then treat others as part of your community as the
church. Obvious.

You are not in a church simply to sit in a pew, pray to God on Sundays,
fall asleep in a sermon and run away from God and people every other day.
You are meant to be in a church for each other (*people are the church*)
through the fellowship of faith, good times and bad, building one another
up, supporting them as they support you, expressing your skills for the
benefit of those around, discipling and maturing your faith and being
filled with the Spirit of God.

I know I'm preaching, but I think your ideas need to be challenged on
what the heck the church is there for.

> That's a sad witness in itself for most churches, but it's
> pretty much the way things are these days.

Then you haven't been around too many churches (imho).

lawrence
--
"Broke my heart for you. Set myself apart for you"
Lawrence Meckan - http://www.geocities.com/lmeckan/