Morals vs Laws

John D Leister

Jun 30, 2001, 7:04:39 AM6/30/01
Would society be better off if we just had laws and did
away with morals, or morality?

Heidi's Mail

Jun 30, 2001, 8:02:48 AM6/30/01
Come on John, laws are based on morals, how could they not be?
Heidi

John D Leister <joh...@senet.com.au> wrote in message

bjk

Jun 30, 2001, 10:37:37 AM6/30/01
As I understand it, Laws are the collection of rules imposed by authority.
Morals, or Ethics is motivation based on ideas of right or wrong.
The problem is who on earth can really say what is right and what is wrong?
I believe that most people already have that part in their brains--hence a
feeling of guilt. Our species has to evolve etc. Sociopaths/Psychopaths
don't seem to have that part to them.

Over three thousand year ago a group came up with a few rules called the ten
commandments---I believe except for one or two of them that they came from
within our own consciences.

As for Laws, it only takes a majority of people to make them, right or
wrong. Put a group of Sociopaths/Psychopaths together and see what laws are
made---Hitlers Laws. Put a group of religious nuts together and you will
have Laws that take us back to the dark ages.
I personally believe that a bunch of Sociopaths are running the main
banks---they operate within the law, but they don't give a shit about
ordinary people.

Idealistically, perform psychological tests to find say ten thousand
suitable people in the world from various backgrounds. Let them make the
Laws. But who is moral enough to perform those tests---maybe we have to wait
for God to show his face?---Then again, I'm sure that there are millions of
people out there that already think that they are God.

Bevan

Andrew Gabb

Jun 30, 2001, 10:56:56 AM6/30/01
Read Pirsig (as in Zen and the Art), 'Lila, an enquiry into morals'
or similar.

Andrew

--
Andrew Gabb
email: ag...@tpgi.com.au Adelaide, South Australia

Kasimir Hunter (KC)

Jun 30, 2001, 2:16:18 PM6/30/01
Would that we could. But humans seem naturally more
concerned with the feelings of other people than their own
selves.

Heidi's Mail

Jul 1, 2001, 12:03:46 AM7/1/01
yes, and my point was and still is that the feeling of right and wrong is
based on morals
therefore the laws we have are based on morals.
Heidi

bjk <kirk...@pacific.net.au> wrote in message

Bob Horgan

Jul 2, 2001, 12:29:27 AM7/2/01

Heidi's Mail wrote:

> Come on John, laws are based on morals, how could they not be?
> Heidi

Are you sure, because what is right and what is law is NOT always the
same

Kev

Jul 1, 2001, 11:03:58 AM7/1/01

"Heidi's Mail" <hei...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

> yes, and my point was and still is that the feeling of right and
wrong is
> based on morals
> therefore the laws we have are based on morals.
> Heidi

_We_ have laws based on morals because Australia is a democracy (I
hope!!). If Australia was a non-benevolent dictatorship, the laws
would be right for the dictator but wrong for everybody else.
--
/ Kevin
Spill "your.guts." to reply by email.

bjk

Jul 1, 2001, 8:38:11 PM7/1/01
Heidi, here is one instance where a moral isn't a law.
A person doesn't break a law when they commit adultery.
Yet most people think that its immoral to commit adultery.
Regards
Bevan

Thom

Aug 2, 2001, 8:09:14 PM8/2/01
On Sun, 1 Jul 2001 00:37:37 +1000, "bjk" <kirk...@pacific.net.au>
wrote:

>As I understand it, Laws are the collection of rules imposed by authority.
>Morals, or Ethics is motivation based on ideas of right or wrong.
>The problem is who on earth can really say what is right and what is wrong?
>I believe that most people already have that part in their brains--hence a
>feeling of guilt. Our species has to evolve etc. Sociopaths/Psychopaths
>don't seem to have that part to them.

Guilt is a form of social control. If you can't watch someone 24
hours a day you get them to watch themselves.

Morals, ethics etc ect are funny terms and often badied about. Some
moralists hit the roof if you have premarital sex but see nothing
wrong with capitalism, the free market and ripping people off in the
market place. Others consider morality in the more general sense and
see evils in the free market and feel that morality includes not
cheating people. It's the old saying about whose ox is being gored.

>Over three thousand year ago a group came up with a few rules called the ten
>commandments---I believe except for one or two of them that they came from
>within our own consciences.

The "Big-10" certainly had a cultural content and contridicted
themselves in small ways. It said Thou Shalt not Kill but organized
religion killed freely anyone that didn't agree with them. The
Crusades, the Progromes, the Holicost, the Spanish Inquisition, etc
etc etc are all examples of the western church ignoring it.

Notice that it's OK for a woman to covit someone but not a man. My
wife can covit my neighbors wife or husband but I can't covit his wife
(nothing about him though) :-)

The Capital Sin of Greed is based on coviting others' goods. Another
forgotten sin in Mr Howards' Free Market and new world
order/globalization policy.

In many ways the 10 were practicle guide lines to keep a small tribe
from tearing itself a part.

>As for Laws, it only takes a majority of people to make them, right or
>wrong. Put a group of Sociopaths/Psychopaths together and see what laws are
>made---Hitlers Laws. Put a group of religious nuts together and you will
>have Laws that take us back to the dark ages.

here here

>I personally believe that a bunch of Sociopaths are running the main
>banks---they operate within the law, but they don't give a shit about
>ordinary people.
>
>Idealistically, perform psychological tests to find say ten thousand
>suitable people in the world from various backgrounds. Let them make the
>Laws. But who is moral enough to perform those tests---maybe we have to wait
>for God to show his face?---Then again, I'm sure that there are millions of
>people out there that already think that they are God.

Laws should be based on Human Rights. How many laws would you need if
there was one based on my human right not to be cheated, stolen from,
ripped off etc etc? Very few actually.

Thom

Bevan J Kirkland

Aug 3, 2001, 3:45:11 AM8/3/01
Yes Thom I agree. Personally speaking my conscience plays hell with me if I
do something wrong---just ask my wife. <g>
Bevan J Kirkland.