How many robots in the average household around 2025?

Neowulf (Aaron VonDerheide)

Oct 15, 2003, 11:32:34 AM10/15/03
I've been working on a cyberpunk story, but I'm burning out. To help keep
me moving forward on it (or at least moving), could we conjecture on the
typical number of robots (and their form & function) in a house (or
apartment) in, say, the year 2025. Or maybe 2015.

Feel free to wander a bit off this topic--I just need some inspiration.

I've been toying with the following notions:
- A four-feet-tall humanoid robot (like that one on the old Buck Rodgers
TV show) takes care of each story of a house; it would be sort-of a
robo-butler.
- Then, upper middle-class would probably have one or two robots designed
to be, well, I guess one could call them dynamic works of art (you know, a
robot dragon the size of a dog, a holographic fish tank, dancing modern
art, coffee tables spouting 3D holographic light shows that look like MSWin
MediaPlayer visualizations--that sort of thing, mostly just for decorative
purposes).
- I also considered a robot pet that would be kind-of...unique-looking,
kind-of like one of those furry animal sidekicks in anime TV shows.
(Anybody ever seen Ryo-oki in "Tench Muyo"?)

Aaron
avonder1 (NOSPAM) @earthlink.net

P.S.

Who wants to bet that there is a robot with, say, frog-level IQ by the 2005
Christmas shopping season, marketed for kids?