Commonwealth of Port Colice

Joshua Fruhlinger

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

I would like to take this opportunity to make known in this venue to
creation of a new Micronation, the Commonwealth of Port Colice. More
information can be found at
http://www.access.digex.net/~redcap/portcolice.html.

Here, for the time being, is our Declaration of Independence:

A Declaration of the Independence of the Commonwealth of Port Colice

as resolved by the Provisional Revolutionary Council, Worthington,
Port Colice

Nations and States of the World --

We, the undersigned, have given birth today to a new idea in governance
and nationality necessitated by the
changing environment of today's political world.

The recent promise of a world freed from the politics of opposing
superpowers has not been met. We have seen this
world dissolve into tribalism -- a world of nation against nation in open
conflict, even within the boundaries of a
supposedly unified state. We have seen the promise of equal rights among
people dashed by oppressive laws which
subjugate the individual to the profit and will of a ruling class. Our
physical environment is threatened by the actions
of states who do not or will not consider the effects of their actions on
the whole. The commonwealth of Man is set
aside, as states build and use bigger and bigger weapons.

We, the citizens of the world who have signed below, would prefer a world
based on peace, brotherhood and
sisterhood, individual identity, infinite diversity, human rights,
scholarship, ceremony and pagentry for its' own sake,
and good humor.

We seek to embody this new idea in a new nation, separate from all
existing nations, which will symbolize our new
alliance of world citizens. We may continue to live among you as we do
this; to pay your taxes and tributes, to work at
your jobs, to vote in your elections, and to consider ourselves good
citizens of your nations, even as we proclaim
ourselves separate and lay claim to small bits of land. That is because
ours is a nation of concept and whimsy, bound
by our mutual sense of friendship, interest in geopolitics, and lines of
communication. We have no weapons save our
wit and good conscience, nor are we likely to ever have any sharper or
deadlier; we do not advocate violent overthrow
of any sovereign state. You may class us as an ephemeral state, a virtual
nation, or a micronation as you prefer.

Using these precepts, and in accordance with the statements above, we, the
undersigned, declare
ourselves today, the 18th of August, 1996 A.D, C.E., the COMMONWEALTH of
PORT COLICE,
an independent nation of the world.

We invite all nations to join us peacefully as diplomatic equals as we
begin our journey of pretense, merriment, and
perhaps enlightenment.

****

We look forward to peaceful relations of mutual respect with all other
nations and micronations. Unforunately, we have already had a few
potentially unpleasant run-ins with other micronations. More information
on this topic will be posted on this newsgroup. We hope by making all
these issues available in this public forum to resolve all disputes in a
fashion that is peaceful and productive. Anyone seeking more information
or who wishes to establish diplomatic relations with the commonwealth to
contact me, as I am the acting foreign minister, at
jf...@uclink4.berkeley.edu.

--
Josh Fruhlinger
History Department.

S1.1 BAR+ LIS+ ABE++# BUR++# MIL++ APU++# TEE+# Ralph++ Chief Wiggum++ Snake++# f+/++ n+/++ $ 1F08, 2F09 M22