James Hutton originated concept of Natural Selection in 1794 and not Darwin

backspace

Jan 30, 2009, 5:55:06 AM1/30/09

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/the-original-theory-of-evolution-were-it-not-for-the-farmer-who-came-up-with-it-60-years-before-darwin-583519.html

== James Hutton on the process of natural selection: ==
This wisdom of nature, in the seminal variation of organised bodies,
is now the object of our contemplation, with a view to see that the
acknowledged variation, however small a thing in general it may
appear, is truly calculated for the preservation of things, in all
that perfection with which they had been, in the bounty of nature,
first designed. Now, this will be evident, when we consider, that if
an organised body is not in the situation and circumstances best
adapted to its sustenance and propagation, then, in conceiving an
indefinite variety among the individuals of that species, we must be
assured, that ... those which depart most from the best adapted
constitution, will be most liable to perish, while ... those organised
bodies, which most approach to the best constitution for the present
circumstances, will be best adapted to continue, in preserving
themselves and multiplying the individuals of their race.

=== rephrase ===
This variation of bodies, is now the object of our contemplation,
with a view to see that the variation is for the preservation of
things.
we consider, that if a body is not in the situation and circumstances
best adapted to its sustenance and propagation, then, in conceiving an
indefinite variety among the individuals of that species, we must be
assured, that ... those which depart most from the best adapted
constitution, will be most liable to perish, while ... those organised
bodies, which most approach to the best constitution for the present
circumstances, will be best adapted to continue, in preserving
themselves and multiplying the individuals of their race.

=== rephrase ===
This variation of bodies is for the preservation of things. If a
body is not in the circumstances best adapted to its propagation,
then, in conceiving an indefinite variety among the individuals of
that species, we must be assured, that ... those which depart most
from the best adapted constitution, will be most liable to perish,
while ... those organised bodies, which most approach to the best
constitution for the present circumstances, will be best adapted to
continue, in preserving themselves and multiplying the individuals of
their race.

=== rephrase ===
This variation of bodies is for the preservation of things. If a
body is not best adapted to its propagation, then, in conceiving an
indefinite variety among the individuals of that species, we must be
assured, that ... those which depart most from the best adapted
constitution, will be most liable to perish, while ... those bodies,
which approach to the best constitution for the circumstances, will
be best adapted in preserving themselves and leaving offspring.

=== rephrase ===
This variation of bodies is for the preservation of things. Those
which depart from the best adapted constitution, will be most liable
to perish, while
those which approach to the best constitution for the circumstances,
will be best adapted in preserving themselves and leaving offspring.

=== rephrase ===
Those which depart from the best adapted constitution, will perish,
while those which approach to the best constitution for the
circumstances, will be best adapted.

=== rephrase ===
Those which depart from the best adapted constitution, will not be
adapted but perish, while those which approach to the best
constitution for the circumstances, will be best adapted.

=== rephrase ===
Those not adapted will perish, while those adapted for the
circumstances, will be best adapted.

=== rephrase ===
Those not adapted will not be adapted, while those adapted will be
adapted. - Tautology -
See http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/TauTology

== Extract from Darwin's 'On the Origin of Species': ==

It may be said that natural selection is daily and hourly
scrutinising, throughout the world, every variation, even the
slightest; rejecting that which is bad, preserving and adding up all
that is good; silently and insensibly working, whenever and wherever
opportunity offers, at the improvement of each organic being in
relation to its organic and inorganic conditions of life. We see
nothing of these slow changes in progress, until the hand of time has
marked the long lapses of ages, and then so imperfect is our view into
long past geological ages, that we only see that the forms of life are
now different from what they formerly were.

I am sure some of you would now be able to effortlessly deduce the
tautology from the above passage by Darwin. IT is very easy once you
get the hang of it.

backspace

Jan 30, 2009, 1:01:29 PM1/30/09
== Extract from Darwin's 'On the Origin of Species': ==
It may be said that natural selection is daily and hourly
scrutinising, throughout the world, every variation, even the
slightest; rejecting that which is bad, preserving and adding up all
that is good; silently and insensibly working, whenever and wherever
opportunity offers, at the improvement of each organic being in
relation to its organic and inorganic conditions of life. We see
nothing of these slow changes in progress, until the hand of time has
marked the long lapses of ages, and then so imperfect is our view into
long past geological ages, that we only see that the forms of life are
now different from what they formerly were.

=== asdf ===
Natural selection is scrutinising every variation rejecting that
which is bad, preserving and adding up all that is good. We see

nothing of these slow changes in progress, until the hand of time has
marked the long lapses of ages, and then so imperfect is our view into
long past geological ages, that we only see that the forms of life are
now different from what they formerly were.

=== asdf ===
Natural selection is scrutinising every variation rejecting that
which is bad, preserving and adding up all that is good.
We only see that the forms of life are now different from what they
formerly were.

=== asdf ===
Natural selection is scrutinising variations rejecting that which is
bad, preserving and adding up all that is good.

=== asdf ===
Natural selection is a process that rejects that which is bad,
preserving that which is good.

=== finally ===
Strip out grammatical gargoyle "natural selection" it is superfluous
to the underlying tautology.

There is some process out there that rejects that which is bad,
preserving that which is good.

This statement is formulated in such a way that its truth *cannot be
disputed* to use Darwin's exact term. The words "preserving" and
"good" alludes to the same fact. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tautology_(rhetoric)
tells us that formulating a concept in such a manner that it cannot be
disputed is a flawed logically and inferences drawn from such must be
rejected as fallacious .

Ray Martinez

Jan 30, 2009, 3:48:03 PM1/30/09
On Jan 30, 2:55 am, backspace <Stephan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/the-original-theory-of-evol...
> Seehttp://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/TauTology

> == Extract from Darwin's 'On the Origin of Species': ==
>
> It may be said that natural selection is daily and hourly
> scrutinising, throughout the world, every variation, even the
> slightest; rejecting that which is bad, preserving and adding up all
> that is good; silently and insensibly working, whenever and wherever
> opportunity offers, at the improvement of each organic being in
> relation to its organic and inorganic conditions of life. We see
> nothing of these slow changes in progress, until the hand of time has
> marked the long lapses of ages, and then so imperfect is our view into
> long past geological ages, that we only see that the forms of life are
> now different from what they formerly were.
>
> I am sure some of you would now be able to effortlessly deduce the
> tautology from the above passage by Darwin. IT is very easy once you
> get the hang of it.

Very good stuff, Backspace, very good.

Natural selection is self-evident bullshit.

Ray

backspace

Jan 31, 2009, 9:56:50 AM1/31/09
Proverbs says: The beginning of wisdom is the fear of the Lord.
Hutton denied a 6day creation event , he was though a theist but still
denied the Lord Jesus who said:".... in the beginning God made man and
women...." And this could impossibly have been 5bil years ago.

The error started with Aristotle as I seemingly for the first time
ever pointed out , no where could I find anybody able to spot the
tautology in Aristotle's argument as posted on http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/TauTology.
William Wells got this fallacy from Hutton and Darwin, Matthews and
Wallace seems to have lifted the concept from them.

There were many other during Darwin's time trying to take credit for
the tautology that what is adapted survived because it was preserved
by being favorable and labeling this fallacious thinking "natural
selection". At least Prof.Fodor has come forward and said that NS
will go down as the biggest deceit in the history of mankind (or
something to that effec) ".... a lot of wasted ink...." to use his
exact words.

Academia are divided into two groups: those who know NS is a rubbish
term and senile fools who don't. We will have to see what happens
between these two groups.