Proposed addition to FAQ.

1 view

Arvid Grøtting

Oct 21, 2002, 2:51:52 AM10/21/02
Lionel <n...@alt.net> writes:

> Please discuss.

First of all, someone'll show up one day and grep for the rotted
names[1]. Secondly, rotting can be used for both rhetorical and
humorous effects, and I don't really think we should ban that. Refuse
to be convinced, yes; refuse to laugh, yes, but ban?

[1] As an example, "Djrfg" did give a relevant hit on Google Groups,
although not as an employer. (Did I mean to search for "Drugs"?
Hell.no!)
--

Arvid

How long is a piece of (char *)?

Alan J Rosenthal

Oct 21, 2002, 8:23:23 AM10/21/02
I'm not sure that that's an exhaustive list, that's the problem.
Also, what about rot5?

I think I'd rather add a vague allusion to Anthony de Boer.

J.D. Baldwin

Oct 21, 2002, 10:42:36 AM10/21/02

In the previous article, Arvid Grøtting <arv...@regina.uio.no> wrote:
> > Please discuss.
>
> First of all, someone'll show up one day and grep for the rotted
> names[1]. Secondly, rotting can be used for both rhetorical and
> humorous effects, and I don't really think we should ban that.
> Refuse to be convinced, yes; refuse to laugh, yes, but ban?

I agree, a ban is too strong, but I would welcome FAQly suggestions
that maybe it ought to be used fcnevatyl and that too much zvkvat
should be avoided.
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also

Arvid Grøtting

Oct 21, 2002, 11:05:55 AM10/21/02
INVALID...@example.com (J.D. Baldwin) writes:

> I agree, a ban is too strong, but I would welcome FAQly suggestions
> that maybe it ought to be used fcnevatyl and that too much zvkvat
> should be avoided.

Proposed verbatim addition to the FAQ:

While not banned here, J.D. Baldwin suggests that rot13 "ought to

be used fcnevatyl and that too much zvkvat should be avoided".

I think that would get the point through: Hfr ebg3 vafgrnq, gung'f gur
bevtvany.

--
You're right - what should we care about silly things like counting votes
when we're in a war to preserve democracy. And mind that you don't say

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Oct 21, 2002, 11:24:42 AM10/21/02
In <l84rbg9...@merced.netfonds.no>, on 10/21/2002

at 06:51 AM, "Arvid Grųtting" <arv...@regina.uio.no> said:

>(Did I mean to search for "Drugs"?

Are there any strong enough to make djrfg seem tolerable?

Reply to domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+bspfh to contact me.
A man's P should exceed his V
else what's a sema for?

Robert McCown

Oct 21, 2002, 2:46:27 PM10/21/02

"Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz" <spam...@library.lspace.org.invalid> wrote in
message news:3db41c3b$8$fuzhry+tra$mr2...@news.patriot.net...

> In <l84rbg9...@merced.netfonds.no>, on 10/21/2002
> at 06:51 AM, "Arvid Grųtting" <arv...@regina.uio.no> said:
>
> >(Did I mean to search for "Drugs"?
>
> Are there any strong enough to make djrfg seem tolerable?

Perhaps taking a dose of strychnine, but that kind of defeats the
purpose...Now, administering one, thats a different kind of flying, all
together.

-=Bob

Willem

Oct 22, 2002, 8:52:16 AM10/22/02
Dave wrote:
) In article <ap2g7c$cbu$1...@blacksun.leftmind.net>,
) Anthony de Boer - USEnet <ab...@leftmind.net> wrote:
): $UNIX_REIMPLEMENTED_BY_SPACE_ALIENS.
)
) That doesn't narrow it down much, does it?

Well, it pretty much rules out at least one flavour of UNIX.
Which one is left as an exercise for the readers.

Gnik Sisi Vle, Willem (at stack dot nl)
drugged or something..
#EOT

Mike Andrews

Oct 22, 2002, 9:57:19 AM10/22/02
Dave Brown <dagb...@lart.ca> wrote:
: In article <ap2g7c$cbu$1...@blacksun.leftmind.net>,
: Anthony de Boer - USEnet <ab...@leftmind.net> wrote:
: : $UNIX_REIMPLEMENTED_BY_SPACE_ALIENS.

: That doesn't narrow it down much, does it?

Au contraire, cher ami, that identifies it _quite_ specifically,
though it doesn't give the version and release. Even in Hell,
some places are not quite as bad as other places.

--
Another of my pet peeves is the use of random special characters in names,
e.g. SQL*Forms. I pronounce that one "squeal splat forms" - sort of sounds

Alan J Rosenthal

Oct 22, 2002, 11:38:39 AM10/22/02
INVALID...@example.com (J.D. Baldwin) writes:
>I agree, a ban is too strong, but I would welcome FAQly suggestions
>that maybe it ought to be used fcnevatyl and that too much zvkvat
>should be avoided.

% diff proj/asrfaq/1/05.old proj/asrfaq/1/05
15,17c15,18
< There are things that have become tedious. Gratuitous ROT-13, $USE $OF
< $SHELL $VARIABLES, ranting about it, and anything else the Official ASR
< Taste Committee deems tired. Elitist bastards? Us? You bet!
---
> There are things that have become tedious. Gratuitous ROT-13 (especially
> going back and forth), $USE $OF $SHELL $VARIABLES, ranting about it, and
> anything else the Official ASR Taste Committee deems tired.
> Elitist bastards? Us? You bet!
%

Arvid Grøtting

Oct 23, 2002, 4:22:11 AM10/23/02
Paul Mc Auley <pmca...@iol.ie> writes:

> on/off/on/off/on/off

Surely you mean ba/off/ba/off/ba/off?

Coat? It's that asbestos suit there, and I guess I need it now...

--

Arvid

BTW: What's the recommended pinout for a 400V TP etherkiller?

Rob Adams

Oct 23, 2002, 5:31:31 AM10/23/02
Paul Mc Auley <pmca...@iol.ie> wrote:

>Lionel <n...@alt.net> wrote on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 16:23:42 +1000:
>| ROT13 is acceptable for only two things:
>| (1) Spoilers.
>| (2) Names of employers / clients that might get Monks into trouble,
>| where they to be grepped for.
>
>| Please discuss.
>
>Also, if you are going to do it, don't switch to/from it more than twice per
>paragraph. (i.e. single phrases or the whole paragraph, none of this
>on/off/on/off/on/off crap)

And perfoezvat said ROTing on only half a woeq is right out?

--
ADVISORY: The email address contained in the header of this posting is
a legitimate address; it is used to harvest email addresses so that we

c...@nospam.netunix.com

Oct 23, 2002, 6:43:55 AM10/23/02
Rob Adams <roba...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> Paul Mc Auley <pmca...@iol.ie> wrote:
>
>>Lionel <n...@alt.net> wrote on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 16:23:42 +1000:
>>| ROT13 is acceptable for only two things:
>>| (1) Spoilers.
>>| (2) Names of employers / clients that might get Monks into trouble,
>>| where they to be grepped for.
>>
>>| Please discuss.
>>
>>Also, if you are going to do it, don't switch to/from it more than twice per
>>paragraph. (i.e. single phrases or the whole paragraph, none of this
>>on/off/on/off/on/off crap)
>
> And perfoezvat said ROTing on only half a woeq is right out?

This is getting silly. Many monks can read EBG13 without pressing
buttons, and EBGisms are part of the monastic culture [1].
What is wrong with you guys ?, what happened to the carefree
humour and snappy repartee ?.

Time for a little humour to come cascading from the fountains
of wisdom ? [2].

[1] No, not that stuff growing in a petri dish.
[2] Go for it, Suresh.
--
From the quill of Chris Newport g4jci, rcc, ex zs6n.
Stop trying to confuse me, why cant you find something

Bogdan Iamandei [ROT13]

Oct 23, 2002, 7:20:46 AM10/23/02
In article <slrnarci0m....@news.iol.ie>, Paul Mc Auley wrote:
> Lionel <n...@alt.net> wrote on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 16:23:42 +1000:
>| ROT13 is acceptable for only two things:
>| (1) Spoilers.
>| (2) Names of employers / clients that might get Monks into trouble,
>| where they to be grepped for.
>
>| Please discuss.
>
> Also, if you are going to do it, don't switch to/from it more than twice per
> paragraph. (i.e. single phrases or the whole paragraph, none of this
> on/off/on/off/on/off crap)

Ah, come on, never heard of "read ahead"? and/or "caching data"?

Ino!~

--
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire
off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark

Geoff Lane

Oct 23, 2002, 8:08:55 AM10/23/02
Paul Martin <p...@zetnet.net> wrote:
> Mine's the raincoat with built in earthquake protection. We seem to be
> having rather a few of them in Manchester in recent days.

My disaster recovery suggestions from 2 years ago were mostly ignored,
perhaps because they started...

Disaster Recovery

Earthquake, bomb, major fire and/or flooding

All of these would result in the building becoming unusable for some
time and all hardware in the m/c room potentially requiring
replacement.

As the epicenter is about 2 miles away perhaps they will take notice now...

--
/\ Geoff. Lane. /\ Manchester Computing /\ Manchester /\ M13 9PL /\ England /\

(((((YOU)))))((((ARE))))((((((FEELING))))))(((((SLEEPY)))))

c...@nospam.netunix.com

Oct 23, 2002, 9:53:17 AM10/23/02
Anthony de Boer - USEnet <ab...@leftmind.net> wrote:
> CRN staggered into the Black Sun and said:
>> ... and EBGisms are part of the monastic culture ...
>
> Your word for today (DON'T touch that keyboard yet, don't touch that
> mouse either, and stop touching yourself) is "Grrantref".
>
> Savour for yourself the deep-throated growl in the first syllable, note
> that the second half is the Hebrew word meaning unclean/unkosher,
> appreciate the evil bound up in this word for a few moments, and, okay,
> now reach for your seekrit magic decoder ring.

Feeling grouchy today ?.
Go kick a few lusers, it might restore your sense of humour.

Alan J Rosenthal

Oct 23, 2002, 1:24:04 PM10/23/02
ab...@leftmind.net (Anthony de Boer - USEnet) writes:
>Alan J Rosenthal staggered into the Black Sun and said:
>>> [FAQ]
>
>The Official ASR Taste Committee consisted entirely of Skud at last check,

TINOASRTC.

Dan Holdsworth

Oct 23, 2002, 2:21:44 PM10/23/02
On 23 Oct 2002 12:08:55 GMT, Geoff Lane
<zza...@twirl.mcc.ac.uk>
was popularly supposed to have said:

>Paul Martin <p...@zetnet.net> wrote:
>> Mine's the raincoat with built in earthquake protection. We seem to be
>> having rather a few of them in Manchester in recent days.
>
>My disaster recovery suggestions from 2 years ago were mostly ignored,
>perhaps because they started...
>
> Disaster Recovery
>
> Earthquake, bomb, major fire and/or flooding
>
> All of these would result in the building becoming unusable for some
> time and all hardware in the m/c room potentially requiring
> replacement.
>
>As the epicenter is about 2 miles away perhaps they will take notice now...

Wanna bet? [1]

Still, in the event of disaster, we can but hope that some of the more
feckless lusers will perish in the conflagration, and that maybe some
of the more underspecced hardware will get replaced with something
better.

(Note to self: lay off the dried frog pills...)

[1] And remember that this is an ex-bookie's clerk asking you this...

--
Dan Holdsworth PhD daniel.h...@ntlworld.com
By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, By the beans of Java

Paul Tomblin

Oct 23, 2002, 2:43:07 PM10/23/02
In a previous article, Geoff Lane <zza...@twirl.mcc.ac.uk> said:
>As the epicenter is about 2 miles away perhaps they will take notice now...

Doubt it. At my last job, about 500 of our 4,000 customers *died* on
September 11th, 2001, and still most of the survivors don't have adequate
disaster recovery - although most of them moved to shorter buildings on
the New Jersey side of the river. And the company I worked for, beside
producing really poor quality (and getting worse every day) software for
stock traders, also specializes in off-site hot-backup sites and other
disaster recovery stuff.

If that doesn't reach people, what will?

--
Paul Tomblin <ptom...@xcski.com>, not speaking for anybody
"I'm trying to contain an outbreak here, and you're driving the monkey to

Mike Andrews

Oct 23, 2002, 3:02:47 PM10/23/02
Paul Tomblin <ptom...@xcski.com> wrote:

: In a previous article, Geoff Lane <zza...@twirl.mcc.ac.uk> said:
:>As the epicenter is about 2 miles away perhaps they will take notice now...

: Doubt it. At my last job, about 500 of our 4,000 customers *died* on
: September 11th, 2001, and still most of the survivors don't have adequate
: disaster recovery - although most of them moved to shorter buildings on
: the New Jersey side of the river. And the company I worked for, beside
: producing really poor quality (and getting worse every day) software for
: stock traders, also specializes in off-site hot-backup sites and other
: disaster recovery stuff.

: If that doesn't reach people, what will?

_What_ Paul Said.

TPHBPTB at WeBuildHighways say that DR is too expensive, and
so we just keep a set of backups of the dinosaur's online
disk volumes and of the major swervers. Well, _three_ sets:
father, son, grandfather, at each of: the dinosaur pen, the
building where I work, and my boss's home. We don't back up the
user machines. Getting the hardware in so that we can restore
the tapes to the boxen will be ... insteresting, and will be
meaningless without the network and the user machines also being
in-place and restored. It's just too interconnected to make work
any other way.

"LA LA LA LA I Don't Hear You!"

--
ASR: We took both pills.

Tanuki the Raccoon-dog

Oct 23, 2002, 3:31:06 PM10/23/02
In <ap63gn$1mdo$2...@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk>, Geoff Lane
<zza...@twirl.mcc.ac.uk> said

>Paul Martin <p...@zetnet.net> wrote:
>> Mine's the raincoat with built in earthquake protection. We seem to be
>> having rather a few of them in Manchester in recent days.
>
>My disaster recovery suggestions from 2 years ago were mostly ignored,
>perhaps because they started...
>
> Disaster Recovery
>
> Earthquake, bomb, major fire and/or flooding
>
> All of these would result in the building becoming unusable for some
> time and all hardware in the m/c room potentially requiring
> replacement.
>
>As the epicenter is about 2 miles away perhaps they will take notice now...

which took severalresearch laboratories in the Manchester/Merseyside
area off-net for a good slice of today.

[OTOH if they completely burned down Moss-Side, would anybody care?]
--
!Raised Tails! -:Tanuki:-

Daran

Oct 23, 2002, 4:23:26 PM10/23/02
"Mike Andrews" <mi...@mikea.ath.cx> wrote in message

> _What_ Paul Said.
>
> TPHBPTB at WeBuildHighways say that DR is too expensive, and
> so we just keep a set of backups of the dinosaur's online
> disk volumes and of the major swervers. Well, _three_ sets:
> father, son, grandfather, at each of: the dinosaur pen, the
> building where I work, and my boss's home. We don't back up the
> user machines. Getting the hardware in so that we can restore
> the tapes to the boxen will be ... insteresting, and will be
> meaningless without the network and the user machines also being
> in-place and restored. It's just too interconnected to make work
> any other way.
>
> "LA LA LA LA I Don't Hear You!"

How about paying upwards of 30k$/year to an offsite DR facility and
forgetting about the network connections? With offices full of sales monkeys
& factories all over Europe?

4 years * 30k$ makes for an interesting amount of money to spend on a
non-solution. Lucky we never had to use it, despite two fires and an
explosion in our factory and once the air-conditiong leaking water into the
server room.

Andries

Lieven Marchand

Oct 23, 2002, 3:24:25 PM10/23/02
Geoff Lane <zza...@twirl.mcc.ac.uk> writes:

> As the epicenter is about 2 miles away perhaps they will take notice now...

I'm impressed. How the hell did you pull that one off?

--
Hai koe, zei de stier,
Kom mee met mij in de wei,

mrob...@worldnet.att.net

Oct 23, 2002, 6:40:30 PM10/23/02
Tanuki the Raccoon-dog <Tanuki@canis-^hmajor.da^hemon.co.uk> wrote:

>which took severalresearch laboratories in the Manchester/Merseyside
>area off-net for a good slice of today.

The folks at the two phone companies mentioned must have a slow hand
on the "suck" control, or perhaps they encountered more inertia than they
expected. Here, over the past several years, most of the RBOCs turned
up the suck on their customer service until people screamed to the
regulatory bodies, and then turned it back down just a bit. If the
customers feel like they can't write a letter ugly enough to say what
they want[1], and have to rely on a trash can filled with burning paper,
then someone has IMHO mishandled the suck setting.

Matt Roberds

[1] although that recent link to a rant that mentioned including cat waste
was pretty good

Joe Zeff

Oct 23, 2002, 11:00:28 PM10/23/02
There's a scandalous rumor that Rob Adams <roba...@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

>And perfoezvat said ROTing on only half a woeq is right out?

Even worse is ROTing eieey btuee lrtgee.

--
Joe Zeff
The Guy With the Sideburns

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Oct 24, 2002, 10:32:33 AM10/24/02
In <ap64lj$qfb$1...@blacksun.leftmind.net>, on 10/23/2002

at 12:28 PM, ab...@leftmind.net (Anthony de Boer - USEnet) said:

>Savour for yourself the deep-throated growl in the first syllable,
>note that the second half is the Hebrew word meaning
>unclean/unkosher,

Literally flesh that has been torn by wild animals. That ties in to a
Grrantref[1] thread in another place.

[1] Relating to those that might wish to qngr your Grrantref, the
demeanor expected of them and the consequences of activities that do
not have your permission.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Oct 24, 2002, 10:25:57 AM10/24/02
In <ap5uhb$bus$1$8300...@news.demon.co.uk>, on 10/23/2002
at 10:43 AM, c...@NOSPAM.netunix.com said:

>carefree

----> asn-n

In a world with well designed hardware, well behaved software and
clueful users, one might perhaps be carefree, at least until that
world took off its mask. The world that I inhabit does not encourage
me to be carefree. YMMV.

Alan J Rosenthal

Oct 24, 2002, 11:14:13 AM10/24/02
Lionel <n...@alt.net> writes:
>fl...@dgp.toronto.edu (Alan J Rosenthal) said:
>>TINOASRTC.
>
>Except for the impromptu committees that form when senior monks become
>sufficiently pissed off.

They are not committees. There are no committees. Such happenings are
merely informal discussions about upcoming matters which will definitely
be put to a democratic vote in the fullness of time.

Arvid Grøtting

Oct 24, 2002, 11:26:53 AM10/24/02
fl...@dgp.toronto.edu (Alan J Rosenthal) writes:

> They are not committees. There are no committees. [...]

Sure. Next, you'll tell us that there is no cabal either.

--
Three of your friends throw up after eating chicken salad. Do you think
"I should find more robust friends" or "we should check that refrigerator".

Mike Andrews

Oct 24, 2002, 12:15:40 PM10/24/02
Arvid Grųtting <arv...@regina.uio.no> wrote:

: fl...@dgp.toronto.edu (Alan J Rosenthal) writes:

:> They are not committees. There are no committees. [...]

: Sure. Next, you'll tell us that there is no cabal either.

Well, of course there isn't. If there _were_, it would find that
informal groups of Monks were already doing everything that a
cabal might be needed to do, and hence there is no need for a
cabal. No need for one, in the efficient universe of the Monks,
means that there _is_ none.

Q.E.D.

There will be a pop quiz on this later in the week.

--
It typically takes 25-30 gallons of petrol/diesel to fully-consume an
average-sized body under ideal conditions. That I am conversant with

c...@nospam.netunix.com

Oct 24, 2002, 7:28:47 PM10/24/02
"Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz" <spam...@library.lspace.org.invalid> wrote:
> In <ap64lj$qfb$1...@blacksun.leftmind.net>, on 10/23/2002
> at 12:28 PM, ab...@leftmind.net (Anthony de Boer - USEnet) said:
>
>>Savour for yourself the deep-throated growl in the first syllable,
>>note that the second half is the Hebrew word meaning
>>unclean/unkosher,
>
> Literally flesh that has been torn by wild animals.

ICBW but ISTR that treif is a yiddish word, derived from terefah ?.

st...@madcelt.org

Oct 24, 2002, 8:16:17 PM10/24/02
At a random point in time "Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz" <spam...@library.lspace.org.invalid> blathered insanely:

> In <ap5uhb$bus$1$8300...@news.demon.co.uk>, on 10/23/2002
> at 10:43 AM, c...@NOSPAM.netunix.com said:

>>carefree

> ----> asn-n

> In a world with well designed hardware, well behaved software and
> clueful users, one might perhaps be carefree, at least until that
> world took off its mask. The world that I inhabit does not encourage
> me to be carefree. YMMV.

I beg to differ. The hell we call work has made me do many things[1] but
if theres one thing I don't do, it's care. Therefore, I am care free.

[1] develop sarsasm to an art form for one

--
Stevo st...@madcelt.org
The sysadmin has graciously deigned not to cast you headlong

Peter Corlett

Oct 25, 2002, 11:50:26 AM10/25/02
<mrob...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
[...]

> [1] although that recent link to a rant that mentioned including cat waste
> was pretty good

That is almost certainly made up. I've seen the exact same letter crop on on
several websites and newsgroups supposedly being sent to all sorts of
utility companies.

The most common forms of this letter are to NTL. And they do suck even
harder than BT, which is quite an impressive achievement.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Oct 31, 2002, 1:47:21 AM10/31/02
In <ap9vne$cl6$1$8302...@news.demon.co.uk>, on 10/24/2002

at 11:28 PM, c...@NOSPAM.netunix.com said:

>ICBW but ISTR that treif is a yiddish word, derived from terefah ?.

Well, my dictionary doesn't list tref, but it does list taref, Not
speaking Yiddish, I won't venture a guess as to which is the origin.