Bit of improper exposure

Juancho

Feb 22, 2021, 5:28:32 PM2/22/21
So it went like this, the jungfncc exchange with a family member, where
I could not respond to in real time:

"Sorry to disturb, but to access website of $PublicHealthService I need it
to read my ID smartcard, and it's asking whether my computer is Jvaqbjf

And some time later:

"Done, I chose 36 bits and it seems to be working. <dancing emoji>"

I see utter failure here, and not precisely on the user's part.

--
EOT

Steve VanDevender

Feb 23, 2021, 2:28:29 AM2/23/21
Juancho <ete...@notreally.com> writes:

> "Done, I chose 36 bits and it seems to be working. <dancing emoji>"
>
> I see utter failure here, and not precisely on the user's part.

I'm just pleased to see someone's still running a PDP-10 out there.

Claudio Calvelli

Feb 23, 2021, 3:23:15 AM2/23/21
On 2021-02-23, Steve VanDevender <ste...@hexadecimal.uoregon.edu> wrote:
> I'm just pleased to see someone's still running a PDP-10 out there.

Ah, I wish I still had one of them... I'm still running a PDP-11 [*] but I
don't have anything with a proper number of bits (like 9, 18 or 36).

[*] when it's very cold and the heating in the house can't cope - not
good to run it in summer though...

Dennis Davis

Feb 23, 2021, 3:37:46 AM2/23/21
In article <s12aqr$185r7$1...@infix.c.crafty-fulcrum-336.internal>,
Or perhaps a Honeywell Multics machine...brings back memories
of this:

https://multicians.org/site-avon.html
--
Dennis Davis <denni...@fastmail.fm>

Claudio Calvelli

Feb 23, 2021, 3:48:52 AM2/23/21
On 2021-02-23, Dennis Davis <denni...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Or perhaps a Honeywell Multics machine...brings back memories
> of this:
>
> https://multicians.org/site-avon.html

Ah, when I had to do my military service and managed somehow to hide the
time in a datacentre, there was a Honeywell DPS (can't remember the
exact model and it was referred to as "the DPS") and they had the only
implementation I've ever seen of a 10-finger firewall. And the file
access control was a message on the operator's console "xyz wants to
open file abc for reading, action?" to which one would reply "grant"
and log it in a (paper) book.

Memories...

Niklas Karlsson

Feb 23, 2021, 4:47:26 AM2/23/21
On 2021-02-23, Steve VanDevender <ste...@hexadecimal.uoregon.edu> wrote:
Yes, those machines were just the TOPS. ITS been known to run other
software on them, though.

Niklas
--
"There are some benefits to high blood pressure", Bob mused as
another mosquito exploded.

Paul Tomblin

Feb 24, 2021, 8:01:11 AM2/24/21
In a previous article, Claudio Calvelli <c.n...@w42.org.invalid> said:
>time in a datacentre, there was a Honeywell DPS (can't remember the
>exact model and it was referred to as "the DPS") and they had the only

At the University of Waterloo in the early 80s, there was some sort of
Honeywell that was known far and wide as "the bun" because a Honey Bun is a
popular snack food in Canada. All I know about it is that it was first
exposure to Colossal Caves Adventure, or "ADVENT" as it was known on the bun.

--
Paul Tomblin <ptom...@xcski.com> http://blog.xcski.com/
Not that I'm annoyed at this particular bit of recto-plasmic sputum which

Dennis Davis

Feb 26, 2021, 3:24:03 AM2/26/21
In article <s15imm$d5m$2...@linode.xcski.com>,
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin...@xcski.com> wrote:
>In a previous article, Claudio Calvelli <c.n...@w42.org.invalid> said:
>>time in a datacentre, there was a Honeywell DPS (can't remember the
>>exact model and it was referred to as "the DPS") and they had the only
>
>At the University of Waterloo in the early 80s, there was some sort of
>Honeywell that was known far and wide as "the bun" because a Honey Bun is a
>popular snack food in Canada. All I know about it is that it was first
>exposure to Colossal Caves Adventure, or "ADVENT" as it was known on the bun.

The Honeywell Multics system included the game "Startrek". Many a
bored programmer spent many extended lunch hours blowing Klingons to
smithereens. Then for some reason -- many have been an OS upgrade
-- playing Startrek was restricted to out-of-office hours. Panic
and loss of morale spread throughout the Empire.

Fortunately the system used shared libraries. So pre-loading a
library containing a replacement for the system date/time routine
saved the day. The replacement routine always said it was a
Saturday morning. Morale was restored and, more importantly, the
Empire was saved as the Klingon body count continued to mount
throughout the lunch hours.
--
Dennis Davis <denni...@fastmail.fm>

The Horny Goat

Feb 26, 2021, 8:28:52 PM2/26/21
On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 13:01:10 -0000 (UTC), ptomblin...@xcski.com
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

>In a previous article, Claudio Calvelli <c.n...@w42.org.invalid> said:
>>time in a datacentre, there was a Honeywell DPS (can't remember the
>>exact model and it was referred to as "the DPS") and they had the only
>
>At the University of Waterloo in the early 80s, there was some sort of
>Honeywell that was known far and wide as "the bun" because a Honey Bun is a
>popular snack food in Canada. All I know about it is that it was first
>exposure to Colossal Caves Adventure, or "ADVENT" as it was known on the bun.

Hmmmm I was at McMaster j(ust up the road from you) around that time
and never heard of 'the Bun' or even the "Honey Bun".

Though I certainly knew the Colossal Caves - xyzzy!

Of course I'm the sort whose graduation present to myself from UBC in
1979 was an early model Apple II+......and I remember the hot grad
student in the computer lab who I dated but dropped as I had thought
she was divorced but actually only separated and I saw myself getting
stuck in a triangle if I continued.

Under the circumstances the grad program at McMaster was one of the
better things I could do since I was quickly falling HARD for Barbara
at UBC!

The Horny Goat

Feb 26, 2021, 8:32:34 PM2/26/21
ROn Fri, 26 Feb 2021 08:23:58 +0000 (UTC), Dennis Davis
<denni...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>The Honeywell Multics system included the game "Startrek". Many a
>bored programmer spent many extended lunch hours blowing Klingons to
>smithereens. Then for some reason -- many have been an OS upgrade
>-- playing Startrek was restricted to out-of-office hours. Panic
>and loss of morale spread throughout the Empire.

Between StarTrek and lusting after my PHD candidate I knew I had to
cut my computer time if I was going to successfully finish my program
- which I did.

Paul Tomblin

Mar 1, 2021, 10:17:29 AM3/1/21
In a previous article, Dennis Davis <denni...@fastmail.fm> said:
>The Honeywell Multics system included the game "Startrek". Many a
>bored programmer spent many extended lunch hours blowing Klingons to
>smithereens. Then for some reason -- many have been an OS upgrade
>-- playing Startrek was restricted to out-of-office hours. Panic
>and loss of morale spread throughout the Empire.

I remember back then lots of turn-based Star Trek games, including one for the
Pet 4032. But one time I was in the computer lab everybody else there was
playing what seemed like one big real-time Star Trek game, with everybody
yelling stuff at each other about taking out that Klingon in such and such a
place. Because all our computer labs had a little blue Gandalf box beside each
terminal that would let you connect to different computers, I had no way of
knowing what computer they were on.
"We must do something. This is something. Therefore we must do this."
- Military and Corporate Logic