Recruiters

Niklas Karlsson

May 14, 2019, 9:55:16 AM5/14/19
I love it when recruiters want me to do their job for them. "Can you
redefine this job ad so it's more attractive to you?"

Niklas
--
"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves
planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers

Richard Heathfield

May 14, 2019, 1:42:17 PM5/14/19
On 14/05/2019 14:55, Niklas Karlsson wrote:
> I love it when recruiters want me to do their job for them. "Can you
> redefine this job ad so it's more attractive to you?"

No problem.

Task: you're supposed to be the bloody
expert - *you* decide what needs
doing, okay?

Location: teleworking

Term: 6 months, with five guaranteed renewals

Hours per week: 5

Hourly rate: £20,000 (in advance)

Overtime rate: x 1.5

Weekend rate: x 3

That's much better! Now, when do I start?

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

Juancho

May 14, 2019, 4:35:15 PM5/14/19
On 14/05/19 15:55, Niklas Karlsson wrote:
> I love it when recruiters want me to do their job for them. "Can you
> redefine this job ad so it's more attractive to you?"

Is a "recruiter" something different than a HR person conducting a
formal interview? Or more like, "those recruiters" scanning for future
football cracks in the fabelas of Río de Janeiro or in the outskirts of
Nairobi...?

Richard Heathfield

May 15, 2019, 5:17:24 AM5/15/19
A recruiter can be internal, of course, but normally nowadays they are
little more than estate agents (property agents), but dealing with
houses rather than people.

If you need to hire someone, you tell a recruitment agency, and they
stick the vacancy on the board.

If you need to be hired, you read the board.

And from this they make a living. <shrug>

They are notorious for knowing bugger all about IT (or indeed anything
else).

Favourite recruitment anecdote (out of several!) is from a personal
acquaintance, whom we will describe as Tony (because that was his name):

It's the 1970s. Tony comes up with a brand new idea for electronic
management of arrears, fines, penalties etc at a local council. He calls
it "AutoDebt". Single-handedly he defines it, designs it, writes it,
fixes it, tests it, etc etc.

Rolling forward to the 1980s, AutoDebt has become a cornerstone of the
council's financial wossname; they rely on it very heavily indeed. But
Tony decides to leave for greener pa£ture£. A chap from HR comes to see
him, makes a very unenthusiastic attempt to change his mind, and asks a
few basic questions about Tony's role at the council, and from those
questions Tony deduces that the HR guy thinks a programmer is something
to do with television.

Tony is working his notice, when a colleague brings an advertisement to
his attention.

The advertisement is for an analyst/programmer. It read, in part, "Must
have 10 years experience of AutoDebt."

There's only one person in the entire world who meets the requirements,
and he's going, not coming.

++++

PS: it didn't stop the council getting a great many applicants, all
claiming to have the relevant experience...

Julian Macassey

May 15, 2019, 9:56:28 AM5/15/19
On Wed, 15 May 2019 10:17:20 +0100, Richard Heathfield <r...@cpax.org.uk> wrote:

> A recruiter can be internal, of course, but normally nowadays they are
> little more than estate agents (property agents), but dealing with
> houses rather than people.
>
> If you need to hire someone, you tell a recruitment agency, and they
> stick the vacancy on the board.
>
> If you need to be hired, you read the board.
>
> And from this they make a living. <shrug>
>
> They are notorious for knowing bugger all about IT (or indeed anything
> else).

They not only hire IT people with no understanding of the
industry, CEOs are hired the same way. This is how we get people from the
snack food (Nabisco) industry running a large computer company (IBM)

This is also how you get people in mahogany row denying requests
for air-conditioning for the servers. They no doubt assume the A/C is for
te comfort of the slackers in IT, after all mahogany row has good A/C to
keep the execs cool.

I can go on for hours, neh days about the cluelessness of
recruiters.

One that really annoyed me was a recruiting commpany that called
me and wanted me to take test to judge whether I knew Linux. To take this
test I needed to use a Microsoft Windows computer. They didn't think this
was in any way out of the ordinary. They recruiter was somewhat nonplussed
when In explained I didn't have such a device at my disposal.

Said recruiter also did see the irony and stupidity of someone
creating a Linux test on a Windows computer. I explained that it was
similar to testing a diesel mechanic on a gasoline engine. They still
didn't get it.

--
"We tend to forget. Ours is a society where things are like instant, so
therefore, history almost is like so far back it doesn't count."

Zebee Johnstone

May 16, 2019, 12:51:06 AM5/16/19
In alt.sysadmin.recovery on Wed, 15 May 2019 13:56:26 -0000 (UTC)
Julian Macassey <jul...@tele.com> wrote:

> Said recruiter also did see the irony and stupidity of someone
> creating a Linux test on a Windows computer. I explained that it was
> similar to testing a diesel mechanic on a gasoline engine. They still
> didn't get it.

Given I once had the interesting experience of having a "mechanic"
tell me my two stroke needed the valve clearances done perhaps this
has already happened.

Zebee

Julian Turnbull

May 22, 2019, 4:58:20 PM5/22/19
To be scrupulously fair, not all two-stroke engines are piston-ported.
Still, my first guess is that the mechanic in question lacked Clue. My
second guess is that he/she believed that the customer lacked Clue, and
intended to profit thereby.

Julian.

David Gersic

May 23, 2019, 12:05:33 AM5/23/19
On 14 May 2019 13:55:13 GMT, Niklas Karlsson <ank...@yahoo.se> wrote:
> I love it when recruiters want me to do their job for them. "Can you
> redefine this job ad so it's more attractive to you?"

https://dilbert.com/strip/1994-09-08

Sometimes you just can't improve on perfection.

Wojciech Derechowski

May 23, 2019, 1:48:07 AM5/23/19
You can, if you don't even know you had a job:

http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~kleinsch/Gettier.pdf

WD
--
Who is Entscheidungs and what is his problem?