Attack of the Telecom Destruction Bunny

Justin The Cynical

Jul 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/17/99
On 16 Jul 1999 19:12:11 -0400, Anthony DeBoer <a...@news.onramp.ca> wrote:

->Unfortunately, our Bright Young PFY will no longer be assisting with
->expeditions downtown, as he has been dubbed the Telecom Destruction Bunny
->and banned from taking his aura anywhere near anything major.

Swiped!

--
"Unfortunately, our Bright Young PFY will no longer be assisting with
expeditions downtown, as he has been dubbed the Telecom Destruction Bunny
and banned from taking his aura anywhere near anything major."
--- Anthony DeBoer in ASR * Justin The Cynical cyn...@dragon-net.net *

Tanuki the Raccoon-dog

Jul 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/17/99
In <7moe8b$seu$1...@thud.internal.onramp.ca>, Anthony DeBoer
<a...@news.onramp.ca> said

>Unfortunately, our Bright Young PFY will no longer be assisting with
>expeditions downtown, as he has been dubbed the Telecom Destruction Bunny
>and banned from taking his aura anywhere near anything major.

This is the inverse of the effect that has led to several of my
sites suggesting they get cardboard cut-outs, or inflatables[1]
made of me, to stand next to their creaking network-hardware in
the vain hope that the hardware will be duped into thinking i'm
there waiting to administer a vicious poke if it dares to crash.

[1]i'm totally open-minded about this...
--
!Raised Tails! -:Tanuki:-
http://www.canismajor.demon.co.uk/index.htm

Stephen Harris

Jul 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/17/99
Tanuki the Raccoon-dog (Tanuki@canis-^Hmajor.da^Hemon.co.uk) wrote:

: This is the inverse of the effect that has led to several of my

: sites suggesting they get cardboard cut-outs, or inflatables[1]
: made of me, to stand next to their creaking network-hardware in

And, if you are doing your job properly, they will be just as (in)active as
you are, and so indistinguishable from the real thing. Umm.. maybe they
won't read asr as much as the real thing....

--

rgds
Stephen

void

Jul 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/17/99
On 16 Jul 1999 19:12:11 -0400, Anthony DeBoer <a...@news.onramp.ca> wrote:

>ObMoreASR: While innocently walking down a hall in a certain building
>downtown this morning, I was accosted by a fellow who asked "Wanna buy
>some bandwidth cheap? New York, London, Paris?" Yes, in buildings
>frequented by BOFHen, drugs are passe; it's connectivity we crave.

Snarfed!

One more from the same post and you get a hat trick.

--
Ben

Wanna buy some bandwidth cheap? New York, London, Paris?
-- shady connectivity dealer to Anthony DeBoer

Ben A L Jemmett

Jul 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/17/99
> some bandwidth cheap? New York, London, Paris?" Yes, in buildings
> frequented by BOFHen, drugs are passe; it's connectivity we crave.
And I think I'll snarf that one if you don't mind.

--
Regards, Web: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Horizon/8786
Ben A L Jemmett ICQ: 9848866 JGSD e-mail: benjemmett at geocities.com
--- 'Yes, in buildings frequented by BOFHen, drugs are passe; it's ---
--- connectivity we crave.' -- Anthony DeBoer in the Monastery. ---

Iain Rae

Jul 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/17/99
Tanuki the Raccoon-dog <Tanuki@canis-^hmajor.da^hemon.co.uk> wrote:
> In <7moe8b$seu$1...@thud.internal.onramp.ca>, Anthony DeBoer
> <a...@news.onramp.ca> said
>>Unfortunately, our Bright Young PFY will no longer be assisting with
>>expeditions downtown, as he has been dubbed the Telecom Destruction Bunny
>>and banned from taking his aura anywhere near anything major.

> This is the inverse of the effect that has led to several of my

> sites suggesting they get cardboard cut-outs, or inflatables[1]
> made of me, to stand next to their creaking network-hardware in

> the vain hope that the hardware will be duped into thinking i'm
> there waiting to administer a vicious poke if it dares to crash.

My cow orker is convinced that I have a similar aura and has been known
to phone with an "XXX isn't working could you come and glare at it" type
request.
I don't believe in it personally but the boss used to think it was funny,
until I fixed his pc by losing my temper and threatening it that if it
didn't start working bloody quickly it'd be thrown out of the (4rth floor)
window.

I am however convinced that some bits of kit need 2 or 3 minutes of
fussing every week and we have one NETBSD server which demands a blood
sacrifice every time you open the case.

Lars Balker Rasmussen

Jul 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/18/99
Iain Rae <ia...@rm322a.civ.hw.ac.uk> writes:
> My cow orker is convinced that I have a similar aura and has been known
> to phone with an "XXX isn't working could you come and glare at it" type
> request.

Pretty much the same thing happens to me occasionally. A cow-orker does
something a couple of times and it doesn't work; I then proceed to give
him my god-you're-useless look (patent pending), reach over his
shoulders, do the exact same thing, watch it do its thing, and walk away.

What fun.
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen "Meanwhile, in marketing."

Lionel

Jul 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/18/99
Word has it that on Sat, 17 Jul 1999 12:22:47 +0100, in this august
forum, Tanuki the Raccoon-dog <Tanuki@canis-^Hmajor.da^Hemon.co.uk>
said:

>This is the inverse of the effect that has led to several of my
>sites suggesting they get cardboard cut-outs, or inflatables[1]
>made of me, to stand next to their creaking network-hardware in
>the vain hope that the hardware will be duped into thinking i'm
>there waiting to administer a vicious poke if it dares to crash.
>

>[1]i'm totally open-minded about this...

I'm not touching this one with a barge pole...

Chris Saundo Saunderson

Jul 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/19/99
Iain Rae <ia...@rm322a.civ.hw.ac.uk> writes:

> I am however convinced that some bits of kit need 2 or 3 minutes of
> fussing every week and we have one NETBSD server which demands a blood
> sacrifice every time you open the case.

This isn't so unbelievable. I used to regularly shed blood in order
to keep SGI boxen running properly.

Saundo

--
Chris "Saundo" Saunderson sau...@idx.com.au
Unix Guy Powered by Linux and the Orb.

"Mind surfing on a 30 foot wall of sound" (Def FX)

Graham Reed

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
Lars Balker Rasmussen <la...@rasmussen.org> writes:
> Pretty much the same thing happens to me occasionally. A cow-orker does
> something a couple of times and it doesn't work; I then proceed to give
> him my god-you're-useless look (patent pending), reach over his
> shoulders, do the exact same thing, watch it do its thing, and walk away.

Yup.

CO: The new password isn't working on the servers!
Me: All right, I'll come downstairs and check.
*stomp stomp stomp*
Show me
CO: *clickety* *click* [slowly, I watch each keystroke]
Me: Hmmmm
*clickety* *click*
Works for me...
*clickety* *click*
Fine here...
*clickety* *click*
This one too...
CO: What did you do?
Me: I looked at them.

--
Graham Reed Workstation C/C++ http://w3.torolab.ibm.com/~greed
"You know the old saying--any technology sufficiently

Heather Garvey

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
Jan Weerts <weert...@pu.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:

>Now I wonder, if it was the machines horror, or if it missed me[2].

I was taken out of lab support for a 6 mo. stint in the Hell Desk.
Upon my return, the lab servers started crashing one after the other
all week. They didn't stop until I went around to each one of them,
said hello, caught up on the news and gave them a pat on the head.
Thereafter, I would always give them a touch when I passed by on my
way through the labs. They behaved themselves thereafter.

--
Heather Garvey (ra...@xnet.com) | So really, all I need to do is kick a
| fundie in the nuts, and say: "Sorry,
http://www.xnet.com/~raven/ | pal. You ain't gonna ever meet God now."
The Lady with the LART | -- Wabewalker <r...@best.com>

Nicolai

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
In article <7n4gvi$ivg$1...@sun27.hrz.tu-darmstadt.de>,
Jan Weerts <weert...@pu.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:
>Request for UI (recovery related):
>We plan to dirve the states westcoast in August. Any good advice for
>recovery between Seattle and Los Angeles?

Highway 101 - the coast road from Portland, Oregon to San Francisco.

It goes through a forest (at least one) of giant Redwood trees and
should not be missed. I think they look particularly nice in the
early morning.

Nicolai, currently in the treeless wastelands of the Anglian Fens.

John Stott

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
nic...@alfheim.satanic.net (Nicolai) wrote:

>In article <7n4gvi$ivg$1...@sun27.hrz.tu-darmstadt.de>,
>Jan Weerts <weert...@pu.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:
>>Request for UI (recovery related):
>>We plan to dirve the states westcoast in August. Any good advice for
>>recovery between Seattle and Los Angeles?
>
>Highway 101 - the coast road from Portland, Oregon to San Francisco.

We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express (good free breakfasts) in Fortuna
and resorted to the nearby Denny's for supper. To our surprise it
served Eel River Brewery beer. We later discovered that the brewpub
was on the other side of the motel.

If you can stand the traffic in August, CA Hwy 1 is a great route. The
bit they didn't build from just N of Fortuna through Ferndale (surfeit
of twee alert!) and returning to 101 at Redway is really good, though
unpaved in places.

--
John P. Stott jps...@src.wisc.edu
Synchrotron Radiation Center http://www.src.wisc.edu

Sheldon T. Hall

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
On 21 Jul 1999 13:12:18 GMT, weert...@pu.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
(Jan Weerts) seems to have written:

>Request for UI (recovery related):
>We plan to dirve the states westcoast in August. Any good advice for
>recovery between Seattle and Los Angeles?

Big Sur, for works of nature.
Carmel, for works of man.
Monterey Aquarium, for looks at fish.
Moe's in San Luis Obispo for Barbecue.
Carl's, Jr., anywhere, for road food (try the Santa Fe Chicken).

-Shel

--
Sheldon T. Hall
7670...@compuserve.com

col...@kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
Nicolai <nic...@alfheim.satanic.net> wrote:

> Highway 101 - the coast road from Portland, Oregon to San Francisco.

Oh definitely. Except I'd start Highway 101 near Port Townsend Washington,
to enjoy the Olympic National Park. Take I-5 North out of Seattle to Everett.
Then the Mukilteo ferry to Whidbey Island (which is nice in and of itself).
Then the ferry to Port Townsend, and then take US 101 toward Port Angeles
(rather than Aberdeen).

You won't see redwoods up north, but you do get to see a temperate rainforest
and wild coastline. Going all the way around the penninsula will add a few
hundred miles to your trip.

Jeff Shultz

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
On 21 Jul 1999 13:12:18 GMT, Jan Weerts wrote:

>We plan to dirve the states westcoast in August. Any good advice for
>recovery between Seattle and Los Angeles?

Portland - Microbrew Central.

If you really wish to do the scenic route, head over to the Coast
(HWY 26 from Portland) and get on Hwy101 at Cannon Beach Junction and
head south. It's a trip that (if the weather is good, and it should
be) you won't ever regret.

Rice Hill, Oregon (southern Oregon, forget the exit # off I-5) - stop
for Ice Cream. Seriously.

Sacramento California - The Railroad Museum. Highly recommended if
you are into the original Big Iron.

--
Jeff Shultz
http://www.wvi.com/~jbshultz

Joe Zeff

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
7670...@compuserve.com (Sheldon T. Hall) wrote:

>Moe's in San Luis Obispo for Barbecue.

Madonna Inn, in San Luis Obispo for the "facilities." The Men's Rooms
there must be seen to be believed.

--
Joe Zeff
The Guy With the Sideburns

Adam J. Thornton

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
In article <3799650a...@news.earthlink.net>,

Joe Zeff <the.guy.with....@lasfs.org> wrote:
>7670...@compuserve.com (Sheldon T. Hall) wrote:
>Madonna Inn, in San Luis Obispo for the "facilities." The Men's Rooms
>there must be seen to be believed.

I request information.

I steadfastly *refuse* to believe that it is UI.

Adam
--
ad...@princeton.edu
"My eyes say their prayers to her / Sailors ring her bell / Like a moth

Joe Zeff

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
ad...@princeton.edu (Adam J. Thornton) wrote:

>In article <3799650a...@news.earthlink.net>,
>Joe Zeff <the.guy.with....@lasfs.org> wrote:
>>7670...@compuserve.com (Sheldon T. Hall) wrote:
>>Madonna Inn, in San Luis Obispo for the "facilities." The Men's Rooms
>>there must be seen to be believed.
>
>I request information.
>
>I steadfastly *refuse* to believe that it is UI.

IIRC, each one of the public Men's rooms is different. At least one
has a waterfall for the urinal. There is, or was, at least, a Union
76 station next door. It had a water-wheel at one end of the trough,
and the faucet was an oil-drilling rig. All in copper.

--
Joe Zeff
The Guy With the Sideburns

Well, clearly I've lost the ability to tell whether I am
dreaming or am in the "real world". That's why I'm here.

John Stott

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
weert...@pu.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de (Jan Weerts) wrote:

>Request for UI (recovery related):

>We plan to dirve the states westcoast in August. Any good advice for
>recovery between Seattle and Los Angeles?

Some other thoughts:

Golden and Silver Falls SP inland just south of Reedsport OR is worth
a detour if you like that sort of thing (short but nice trails to
waterfalls, take the one to the top in particular)

Coquille Myrtle Grove SP and an adjacent National Forest trail
through Redwoods are worth a detour at Langlois OR.

There is a fine pub on the West side of CA Hwy 1 in Big Sur (the
Riverside Inn I think).

John Stott

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
weert...@pu.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de (Jan Weerts) wrote:

>Request for UI (recovery related):
>We plan to dirve the states westcoast in August. Any good advice for
>recovery between Seattle and Los Angeles?

I forgot to mention:

the Mendocino Hotel - fine dining room and splendid toilets.

the Elk Guest House (just N of Elk on CA Hwy 1). Not many rooms,
probably sold out (see Mendocino accomodation Web page for
contact), not cheap, but a site to die for. Open-air hot tub on a
headland with views of the Pacific on three sides. In April we
could whale watch from bed.

Jack Twilley

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99

Jan> Request for UI (recovery related): We plan to dirve the
Jan> states westcoast in August. Any good advice for recovery
Jan> between Seattle and Los Angeles?

I hope someone's saving these. They're completely useful for
recovery, and would make an interesting tool for vacationing.
I can see it now. "Hey, dear, the monks with all those nifty
LARTs recommend we consider this keen place with the hot tubs
and the cute wait staff. And there's not a computer around."

Jack.
--
Jack Twilley
jmt at nycap dot rr dot com

Joe Zeff

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99
Jack Twilley <jmt+u...@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

> Jan> Request for UI (recovery related): We plan to dirve the
> Jan> states westcoast in August. Any good advice for recovery
> Jan> between Seattle and Los Angeles?
>
>I hope someone's saving these. They're completely useful for
>recovery, and would make an interesting tool for vacationing.
>I can see it now. "Hey, dear, the monks with all those nifty
>LARTs recommend we consider this keen place with the hot tubs
>and the cute wait staff. And there's not a computer around."

I just realized there's something obvious we've all left out: La Casa
Grande! Hearst Castle. If you've never been there, stop at San
Simeon and take the tour.

--
Joe Zeff
The Guy With the Sideburns

"If you haven't seen it, it's new to you."

Jeff Shultz

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99
On Fri, 23 Jul 1999 23:51:05 GMT, Joe Zeff wrote:

>I just realized there's something obvious we've all left out: La Casa
>Grande! Hearst Castle. If you've never been there, stop at San
>Simeon and take the tour.

I just submitted a report for history class (normally interesting,
this term ugh) on how W.R. Hearst started the Spanish-American War...
I'd likely break something just for revenge.

"Question skepticism"

Calle Dybedahl

Jul 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/30/99
Ingvar Mattsson <ing...@bofh.se> writes:

> Limerick's Irish pub; Tegnérgatan/Döbelnsgatan, Stockholm, Sweden
> Beer: ???? Service: ????? Silentness: ??? Food: ????

Air: ???
--
Calle Dybedahl, Vasav. 82, S-177 52 Jaerfaella,SWEDEN | ca...@lysator.liu.se
Please pay no attention to the panda in the fridge.

Marshall McGowan

Aug 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/2/99
Joe Zeff (the.guy.with....@lasfs.org) wrote:
:
: Madonna Inn, in San Luis Obispo for the "facilities." The Men's Rooms
: there must be seen to be believed.

Yup. Great fun, those.

My mother told me about them when I planned to drive down to Los Angeles one
time.

I still don't know how to feel about her being the one to tell me.

On another note, hit Monteray, and go the the Monteray bay Aquarium. You
only need 3 or 4 hours at it, really, and some if it is just bloody
gorgeous. They are also going to install a penguin exhibit. That'll make me
rather happy when it comes about.

Marshall
--
Marshall McGowan | Heisenberg slept here, or somewhere else nearby.
mars...@sonic.net | W J Williams, Days of Atonement.