So - have the monks decamped somewhere else or are we all retired??

The Horny Goat

Mar 5, 2022, 4:05:35 PM3/5/22
So - have the monks decamped somewhere else or are we all retired??

(My only activity remotely on this front recently has been purchasing
and setting up a new monitor for the missus and compared to what I
>have< done that's pretty minor. The only issue at all was when I
knocked her wireless mouse off the counter and took 10 minutes finding
it - it's a fairly dark room and with other one luser to 'support'
it's only a big deal when SWMBO shows her claws.)

c...@nospam.com

Mar 5, 2022, 5:47:48 PM3/5/22
Search fpr scary devil on farcebook.
Most of are long retired but there are usually a few posts a week there.

--
http://www.netunix.com/

Garrett Wollman

Mar 5, 2022, 7:01:49 PM3/5/22
In article <30k72h95lelqvsshg...@4ax.com>,
The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca> wrote:
>So - have the monks decamped somewhere else or are we all retired??

I am mostly on Twitter these days (under my proper name), and mostly
not posting about work-related matters. I still read news just about
every day for the two or three newsgroups that are still active.

-GAWollman

wol...@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is

Richard Heathfield

Mar 6, 2022, 6:15:18 AM3/6/22
On 05/03/2022 9:05 pm, The Horny Goat wrote:
> So - have the monks decamped somewhere else

The die-hards are still here, lurking just as hard as we can.

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

Alexander Schreiber

Mar 6, 2022, 10:08:05 AM3/6/22
The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca> wrote:
> So - have the monks decamped somewhere else or are we all retired??

Still wrangling bits and recalcitrant (soft|hard)ware for a living.
Job wise, the level & scale of said wrangling has changed, so the only
old fashioned sysadminning I do these days is with the home infrastructure.

Still lurking hereabouts, obviously.

Kind regards,
Alex.
looks like work." -- Thomas A. Edison

The Horny Goat

Mar 6, 2022, 11:57:15 AM3/6/22
On Sun, 6 Mar 2022 15:55:13 +0100, Alexander Schreiber
<a...@usenet.thangorodrim.de> wrote:

>The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca> wrote:
>> So - have the monks decamped somewhere else or are we all retired??
>
>Still wrangling bits and recalcitrant (soft|hard)ware for a living.
>Job wise, the level & scale of said wrangling has changed, so the only
>old fashioned sysadminning I do these days is with the home infrastructure.
>
>Still lurking hereabouts, obviously.
>
>Kind regards,
> Alex.

My days 'in the business' are largely far behind me as well as I took
an offer from my parents for our family business but then was required
to take my brother on as a partner at the same wages I had taken 18
years to get from them.

My last major project in THIS business was a hospital installation in
New Brunswick which had some interesting features as they were moving
their data from a data center in Toronto to their hospital which meant
at one point having to drive to the data center (which was 2 blocks
from the provincial legislature so I figured it was safe enough but at
11 pm when I had to pick up the 9 track tapes - about 25 lbs worth -
nobody told me after dark it was the red light district. Nothing like
getting harassed by male hookers when all I really wanted to do is get
the tapes, drive home safely, catch 5 hours sleep and fly off to New
Brunswick in the morning... or install equipment in the neo-natal ICU
during a time about two months before my daughter was born all the
while praying 'oh Lord, don't let my little one look like these")

At this distance I tend to remember things like this and not dwell on
some of the monkish idiocies I've seen along the way. Have no fear -
I've installed my share of network cable along the way including
having a partner reel out cable for me to throw it javelin like across
a drop ceiling with the cable duct taped to a broom handle. Or used a
kids' radio controlled car (again with duct tape to the end of the toy
truck) to guide the cable across the drop ceiling.

If any of this is UI to you I truly feel your pain.

Koos van den Hout

Mar 9, 2022, 9:00:03 AM3/9/22
The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca> wrote in <30k72h95lelqvsshg...@4ax.com>:
> So - have the monks decamped somewhere else or are we all retired??

With the current prediction of retirement dates in the Netherlands I will
retire weeks before Y2K38 hits.

And I will admit that I haven't spent a lot of time in outer Usenet. The
number of groups I actually read is getting smaller.

For work I no longer herd servers, I just help the local server-herders in
securing them.

Koos

--
Koos van den Hout PGP keyid 0x5BA9368BE6F334E4 via keyservers
https://idefix.net/

Peter Corlett

Mar 14, 2022, 7:46:27 AM3/14/22
<c...@nospam.com> wrote:
[...]
> Search fpr scary devil on farcebook.

I'd rather hammer rusty nails through my scrotum than create an account
there.

> Most of are long retired but there are usually a few posts a week there.

The Other Place is a little bit more active than that.