Google Группы больше не поддерживают новые публикации и подписки в сети Usenet. Опубликованный ранее контент останется доступен.

Oh my god, I hate it...

429 просмотров

Stefan Froehlich

не прочитано,
14 янв. 1998 г., 03:00:0014.01.1998

No, I cannot say that I did not expect it to happen. But still I _hate_ it.

I am some kind of wannabe sysadmin (not that I actually wanted to be though),
I have some experience with Unix and TCP/IP networks and some other things,
but nothing that would qualify me as a guru in any way.
Still, I am perhaps the most unix-aware person here at my department, so I
was given the responsibility for our hp-ux server two months ago, when the
old [1] sysadmin left for Japan [2].

Imagine a machine with five mounted volumes, four of them used for luser
space and the remaining one for all the rest of the system... kernel,
system, applications, spool dir, temp dir. Imagine no user quota on the
machine [3]. Imagine a 95% filled root-file system.

I have already said, that I did expect it, nevertheless I did not have
a real chance to prevent it [4]. Yesterday at noon, two of our lusers
decided to print some nicely colored corel-draw slides through my
printer queues. The result was desastrous: root filesystem full, all
printers stopped working.
As a first action, I deleted some of the bigger annoyances on the disc [5].
Then I cleand the spool dirs, restarted the scheduler. Nothing. No printing
at all. About 1 minute later, the telephone started ringing [6]. After I
got rid of the calling luser, I phoned a friend of mine (who also has some
basic ideas of system administration) and did not stop talking for the next
four hours [7]. Well, to put it simple: we did not find a solution and
finally decided to go home [8] and to restore from tape next morning.

Today, when I go to my desk, open the terminal and view the printer log,
what do I see? Since this morning, everything is working again. Flawlessly.
And without ANY human intervention at all.
Now this reduces my stresslevel quite a bit, but I am still pissed of. What
is an unclued admin needed for, if the OS repairs itself over the night?
IF I have to do this job, I at least want to DO it and not just WATCH.

Stefan

[1] ok, physically spoken, he was not much older than I am
[2] perhaps the most distant place available from here. I think he
knew why.
[3] this seems to be common practice in academic environment.
[4] my job is to _administrate_ the machine, not to spend money for it.
[5] this was the only rewarding moment that day.
[6] service was cut for perhaps 50 people at 7 printers.
[7] this was partly for a common analysis of the problem, but mostly to
justify the busy phone line. I would not want my boss to come to my
room and see the phone off-hook for no obvious reason.
[8] by this time, we were almost alone in the office, anyway.

Lars Balker Rasmussen

sfro...@et.tuwien.ac.at (Stefan Froehlich) writes:
> Now this reduces my stresslevel quite a bit, but I am still pissed of. What
> is an unclued admin needed for, if the OS repairs itself over the night?
> IF I have to do this job, I at least want to DO it and not just WATCH.

Operating systems are like children. If there is noone around to
appreciate your crying, why bother?

ObASR: Finding the subtle differences between Solaris SPARC and x86...
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen "No."

Michael Driscoll

не прочитано,
15 янв. 1998 г., 03:00:0015.01.1998

In article <69i05i$9...@news.tuwien.ac.at>, Stefan Froehlich wrote:
>I am some kind of wannabe sysadmin (not that I actually wanted to be though),
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I hereby pronounce you a sysadmin, for better or worse.

ObAProgrammingR[-1]:
Did you ever spend eight hours working in a deeply nested function involving
many fork()'s, naively trying to figure out just where the fsck everything
is going wrong, only to discover that you are accidently doing an fclose()
on the read pointer instead of the write pointer?

*weep*

Go ahead, call me a luser. I already have, after all.

Didn't help that this was an FCGI program taking some rather nonstandard
input from the server[0] so that gdbm/strace and such couldn't be used,
and so I had to do all of the diagnosis via syslog().

Ever fill a 1000 megabyte partition[1] with debugging logs? Ever reached
your filesystem's limit on file size? You will.

[-1] Is there such a group? I remember posts about newgrouping
alt.programmer.recovery but it doesn't seem to exist in
these parts.
[0] File upload a la RFC 1867. Whee.
[1] Normally about 10% allocation on this disk.
--
Michael Driscoll
<fen...@frob.ml.org>

Perry Rovers (Perry....@IAE.nl) wrote:
> Pink elephants with an attitude inspired Stefan Froehlich <sfro...@et.tuwien.ac.at> to tell alt.sysadmin.recovery:
> Here's where you're wrong. Joe Random Hacker was pissed because your system
> was messed up so he couldn't use it to leech warez/p0rn, spam and modify
> www.fbi.gov. So he fixed it for you. HTH. HAND.

I did tell you that the file system was full, didn't I? And this is
certainly not due to a Warez site... I personally know the people who
produce multiMB simulation results.
OTOH I won't tell the machine name here, be sure for that...

> If you want to DO something and become clued, just newfs it and reinstall
> everything from scratch. Great learning experience.

This is what I'll most likely have to do anyways within the next few months.
The unbelievable has happend and we _are_ granted some money to buy a new HP.
Guess who will have to take care of it?

Bye,
Stefan

Chris Saunderson

не прочитано,
15 янв. 1998 г., 03:00:0015.01.1998

sfro...@et.tuwien.ac.at (Stefan Froehlich) writes:

> No, I cannot say that I did not expect it to happen. But still I _hate_ it.

[snip]

> Today, when I go to my desk, open the terminal and view the printer log,
> what do I see? Since this morning, everything is working again. Flawlessly.
> And without ANY human intervention at all.

> Now this reduces my stresslevel quite a bit, but I am still pissed of. What
> is an unclued admin needed for, if the OS repairs itself over the night?
> IF I have to do this job, I at least want to DO it and not just WATCH.

You know, I'm sure I'm not the only one who _wants_ to believe you.

"No, really, the machine put itself back together!"
"No. Way."
"Truly!"
"There is a god."

Of course, just to rain on your parade - that bit is working. Guaranteed,
there'll be someone on the phone at some point during the time you're
adminning this box complaining that something isn't working and that
it worked before _caused_ by your need to go to the tapes.

Not that I'm bitter, of course.

Saundo

--
Chris "Saundo" Saunderson Chris.Sa...@adelaide.maptek.com.au
Technical Support Engineer Telephone: (08) 8379 7333