That must be the end of times.

Patrick

Jan 11, 2021, 1:30:40 PM1/11/21
Right folks. I have been kind of recovered[1] but the news of impending
doom made me return here. What is this news? We;ll, surely you must have
noticed.

patrick@recovered:~$ sdate
Mon 9995 Sep 1993 19:23:06 CET

That's it. Saturday is rollover day. I assume all hell will freeze over
then. Or could it be the beginning of October, - nah.

Patrick

[1] At least from things related to here. The rants on different other
things of unrecovery can and must wait.

patrick

Jan 11, 2021, 3:33:07 PM1/11/21
On 2021-01-11, Roger Bell_West <roger+a...@nospam.firedrake.org> wrote:
> On 2021-01-11, Patrick wrote:
>>patrick@recovered:~$ sdate
>>Mon 9995 Sep 1993 19:23:06 CET
>>
>>That's it. Saturday is rollover day. I assume all hell will freeze over
>>then. Or could it be the beginning of October, - nah.
>
> October began on 4181 September, or 10 February 2005 o.s., when that
> particular portal was closed again.

Well it ain't October in my book when you close the mounds of hell after
all the devils have escaped.

(Though being the last person there to switch off the switches would
have definitely had some recovery in it)

> It is now 5814 October 2005.

I'll update my system date.

Patrick

Oscar

Jan 12, 2021, 8:57:48 AM1/12/21
In article <20210111191246....@firedrake.org>,
Roger Bell_West <roger+a...@nospam.firedrake.org> wrote:
>On 2021-01-11, Patrick wrote:
>>patrick@recovered:~$ sdate
>>Mon 9995 Sep 1993 19:23:06 CET

Mmm... our sdate(1)s don't agree:

oscar@bork:~$ sdate
Tue 9995 Sep 1993 13:32:03 CET

>October began on 4181 September, or 10 February 2005 o.s., when that

What? September did not last eternally? What's all this october talk?

This can't be UI, so I'll ask anyway: October?
--
[J|O|R] <- .signature.gz

Stephen Harris

Jan 12, 2021, 9:57:55 AM1/12/21
Oscar <jornws...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Roger Bell_West <roger+a...@nospam.firedrake.org> wrote:
> >On 2021-01-11, Patrick wrote:
> >>patrick@recovered:~$ sdate
> >>Mon 9995 Sep 1993 19:23:06 CET

> Mmm... our sdate(1)s don't agree:

> oscar@bork:~$ sdate
> Tue 9995 Sep 1993 13:32:03 CET

My home-grown script agrees with Patrick and Roger:

% september
Tue Sep 9996 09:42:53 EST 1993

I just take the number of seconds returned by "date +%s", divide by
86400 and subtract 8643.

I can check for any day:

% september -d 'Sep 2 1993'
Thu Sep 2 00:00:00 EDT 1993

% september -d 'Oct 1 1993'
Fri Sep 31 00:00:00 EDT 1993

% september -d 'Nov 1 1993'
Mon Sep 62 00:00:00 EST 1993

Those numbers look correct, so I think the 8643 number is correct.

so...

% september -d Saturday
Sat Sep 10000 00:00:00 EST 1993

The same logic also works for covid dates, but with 18321 as the offset.

% covdate
Tue Mar 318 09:46:45 EST 2020

--

rgds
Stephen

Oscar

Jan 12, 2021, 10:44:12 AM1/12/21
In article <3ddktr...@spuddy.org>, Stephen Harris <bo...@spuddy.org> wrote:
>My home-grown script agrees with Patrick and Roger:
[semi-UI snipped to avoid overexposure]
>Those numbers look correct, so I think the 8643 number is correct.

D'oh! I used midnight, Sep 1 as my starting point. I just doublechecked
before posting, still assuming this was the right way. Didn't the
eternal calendar start at Sep 0, 1993 then? Or do I need recovery now?