Interesting use of a shell variable

Niklas Karlsson

Apr 25, 2022, 10:24:03 AM4/25/22
I present to you the supercomputer user who recently tried to store a
whole genome in a shell variable.

It didn't go the way he'd hoped.

Niklas
--
Kids have it easy today. All they have to listen to is stories about
how back in the '70s we had to listen to stories about how bad it was

Niklas Karlsson

Apr 25, 2022, 10:47:45 AM4/25/22
On 2022-04-25, Michel <ab...@rubberchicken.nl> wrote:
> On 25 Apr 2022 14:24:00 GMT, Niklas Karlsson wrote:
>> I present to you the supercomputer user who recently tried to store a
>> whole genome in a shell variable.
>>
>> It didn't go the way he'd hoped.
>
> I'll bet.
>
> Is this the whole story or was there a link you'd meant to include? :)

No link, this was just an internal support ticket.

Niklas
--
Butterscotch schnapps is a great memory restorative. Now I remember why I don't
drink it more often.

Peter Corlett

Apr 28, 2022, 7:09:37 AM4/28/22
Roger Bell_West <roger+a...@nospam.firedrake.org> wrote:
> On 2022-04-28, Gary Barnes wrote:
>> Are we on for an asrbrum this year?
> Do you know a pub with a properly outdoor beer garden? The Wellington's
> big plastic box doesn't really seem suitable.

There's always the Fountain. I gather they may have even gotten rid of the
darkroom.

Peter Corlett

Apr 28, 2022, 7:29:07 AM4/28/22
Roger Bell_West <roger+a...@nospam.firedrake.org> wrote:
[...]
> (I'm planning to go to Perth [Scotland] in August. My first thought, being
> the age I am, was to book a train. Turns out to be distinctly more
> expensive than driving myself, even with current fuel costs, and rather
> slower.)

One bit of pleasing railway news is that the Dutch national rail operator
lost the Scotrail franchise due to being even worse at the job than the
likes of WorstGroup etc, so the odds of them cancelling the train out of
spite and stranding you in the arse end of nowhere would have been
significantly reduced.

Peter Corlett

Apr 28, 2022, 8:56:23 AM4/28/22
Roger Bell_West <roger+a...@nospam.firedrake.org> wrote:
> On 2022-04-28, Peter Corlett wrote:
>> There's always the Fountain. I gather they may have even gotten rid of
>> the darkroom.
> (checks the site)
> They've definitely decided on their target audience, haven't they? Is it
> that vanishingly rare thing a gay pub with decent real ale?

They're not actually all that rare, just that the venues catering to
children tend to be rather more visible. Look for a bear pub, and you've
probably found a decent pint. Bears don't tend to go in for tiny drinks
which are 50% sugar and 50% umbrellas.

See also Irish pubs which Irish people go to as opposed to one plastered in
green crap and screens full of football. So that'd be a vote for the Anchor
Digbeth except I don't think they have a beer garden.

ISTR that the Fountain usually has three or four Real Ales on, although it's
been at least a decade since my last visit.

Wojciech Derechowski

Apr 28, 2022, 11:19:05 PM4/28/22
On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 14:15:08 +0000, Roger Bell_West wrote:
> I suspect the ones I've been invited along to at a certain point in
> the evening tended to be the ones that catered mostly to young
> attractive men, i.e. usually not real ale drinkers - but certainly
> I've heard gay men complaining about the lack of overlap between
> gay-friendly and decent-pint-friendly establishments.

Some of us would be pleased to know that one can find a well-ordering
of gay men who like beer with respect to how ugly they are.

WD
--
Who is Entscheidungs and what is his problem?

The Horny Goat

Apr 29, 2022, 7:18:37 PM4/29/22
On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 03:37:29 -0000, Wojciech Derechowski
<wdd...@um5000.mystora.com> wrote:

>Some of us would be pleased to know that one can find a well-ordering
>of gay men who like beer with respect to how ugly they are.

Surely if THAT's the criteria the Survivor casting department did
extremely well in picking the first season's winner! The "fat naked
gay guy" himself!

Peter Corlett

Apr 30, 2022, 8:42:30 AM4/30/22
Gary Barnes <g...@adminspotting.org> wrote:
[...]
> I don't know if I count as a bear, I'm close, but probably not hairy
> enough.

Given that you drink C-Stoff, this would be the uneasy balance between it
putting hairs on your chest, and it scorching them right off again when you
spill some down your front.