AOL hits the uk.

1 view

Jeff Scorsone

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96
In article <sa4zqc4...@muscle.rai.kcl.ac.uk>,
i...@muscle.rai.kcl.ac.uk (I.Dobbie) wrote:

> I have just read in the newspaper that AOL is launched in the uk today.
>
> AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH
>
> Cant wait for all those free disks to turn up so that I can start making a new
> LART out of them.
>
> Ian

America Online in the UK?
^^^^^^^

Am I the only one this doesn't sound right to?

-Jeff

Ivor von Wolfsheim

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96
The...@concentric.network (Jeff Scorsone) writes:

>America Online in the UK?
>^^^^^^^
>Am I the only one this doesn't sound right to?

NO NO No no no ...

That's "Anarchy [online] in the UK"

*thrashes*
*cringes at rememberance of the 70s*
--
| this is my .sig. there are many .sigs like it, but this one is mine... |
| Finger kuj...@www.buttenet.com for info/pgp key/etc | NO CARRIER |

Ian Chard

Jan 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/6/96
The...@concentric.network (Jeff Scorsone) writes:

>> I have just read in the newspaper that AOL is launched in the uk today.
>>
>> AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH
>>
>> Cant wait for all those free disks to turn up so that I can start making a new
>> LART out of them.
>>
>> Ian

>America Online in the UK?
>^^^^^^^

>Am I the only one this doesn't sound right to?

I think they're calling it "UK Online".
Whoever said that American ISPs had no imagination had a bloody good point.

--
[ Ian Chard, back in Manchester | "Guilt isn't a word, it's a ]
[ Email: i...@tanagra.demon.co.uk | way of life" ]

Ian Chard

Jan 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/6/96
i...@muscle.rai.kcl.ac.uk (I.Dobbie) writes:

>I have just read in the newspaper that AOL is launched in the uk today.

Tell me about it *sigh*

>Cant wait for all those free disks to turn up so that I can start making a new
>LART out of them.

The metal shutters on 3.5" disks have a lovely sharp edge...

Anyway, it's not all bad. When I got my copy of CIM through the post the other
week, I noted it said "one month free no obligation" just below "free gift when
you sign up". Given that you can cancel your account on-line, guess how many
seconds I was a member of CI$ for...

Michael Handler

Jan 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/7/96
In article <1996Jan6....@tanagra.demon.co.uk>,
Ian Chard (i...@tanagra.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> Whoever said that American ISPs had no imagination had a bloody good point.

Hey, I objectify! At my job, we have _lots_ of imagination! Why, every
day we come up with at least ten new excuses to explain why (a) the new
phone lines haven't been installed, (b) people haven't gotten their
refunds on misbillings yet, (c) new hard drives haven't been installed
though our user partitions have been at 98% percent for months now,
(d) we haven't billed ~ 500 users for a year now, and a whole _host_
of other embarassing problems and administrative fuckups, most of
which are out of my control!

No imagination? You've cracked, you pommy bastard! We don't just
_have_ imagination, it's a bleeding _requirement_.

Someone remind me why I'm doing this again. It certainly wasn't the
money...

--
Michael Handler <gre...@netaxs.com> <URL:http://www.netaxs.com/~grendel>

"Hours of frustration punctuated by moments of sheer terror."

hillary

Jan 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/7/96

*
[...]

Um, it must be the splendid company...:)
right mike?
RIGHT, MIKE???

:) hrg

--

-Hillary

http://www.hillary.net

Simon H Le G Bisson

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
On Sat, 6 Jan 1996 19:21:51 GMT, i...@tanagra.demon.co.uk (Ian Chard)
wrote:

>>Am I the only one this doesn't sound right to?
>
>I think they're calling it "UK Online".

>Whoever said that American ISPs had no imagination had a bloody good point.

No, they're not... and I should bloody well know, seeing as I run all
the machines for UK Online, and have to put up with the 7 days a week
24 hour bleeper from hell. Thank Ghod it hardly ever goes off.

They're AOL everywhere. But it doesn't mean anything now.

Simon H Le G Bisson -- si...@ukonline.co.uk
Technical Manager, UK Online Ltd
http://www.ukonline.co.uk/

/225686/lgoldste/Lee Ann Goldstein

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
In article j...@mekab.usc.edu, kuj...@mekab.usc.edu (Ivor von Wolfsheim) writes:

>The...@concentric.network (Jeff Scorsone) writes:
>>America Online in the UK?
>>^^^^^^^
>>Am I the only one this doesn't sound right to?
>
>NO NO No no no ...
>
>That's "Anarchy [online] in the UK"
>
>*thrashes*
>*cringes at rememberance of the 70s*

Ooooooh. _Definitely_ coke through the nose. *snort*

---
Lee Ann Goldstein lgol...@ladc.lockheed.com
Network Administrator, F-117A Avionics Division
Lockheed Martin Skunk Works

I'm what passes for a Unix guru in my office. This is a frightening concept.

Simon Burr

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96

>The...@concentric.network (Jeff Scorsone) writes:

>>In article <whatever> i...@muscle.rai.kcl.ac.uk (I.Dobbie) wrote:
>>> I have just read in the newspaper that AOL is launched in the uk today.

>>> AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

>>> Cant wait for all those free disks to turn up so that I can start making a
>>> new LART out of them.

>>America Online in the UK?
>>^^^^^^^

>I think they're calling it "UK Online".

UK Online is a different service to AOL (thankfully). From what I remember,
UK Online was started a while before AOL had finalised its plans for the UK, so
the name ukonline.co.uk wasn't available any more. I think that AOL wanted to
call their UK operation UK Online tho.... I seem to remember posting to this
group about 3-4 months ago how aol.co.uk had been passed by the flame war that
is the naming committee in the UK :)

--
Simon Burr (si...@tcp.co.uk) | http://www.tcp.co.uk/staff/simes/
Systems Manager and Programmer | Total Connectivity Providers Ltd

Ian Chard

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
gre...@netaxs.com (Michael Handler) writes:

>> Whoever said that American ISPs had no imagination had a bloody good point.

>Hey, I objectify! At my job, we have _lots_ of imagination! Why, every

>day we come up with at least ten new excuses to explain why (a) the new

>phone lines haven't been installed, (b) people haven't gotten their

>refunds on misbillings yet, (c) new hard drives haven't been installed

>though our user partitions have been at 98% percent for months now,

>(d) we haven't billed ~ 500 users for a year now, and a whole _host_

>of other embarassing problems and administrative fuckups, most of

>which are out of my control!

>No imagination? You've cracked, you pommy bastard! We don't just

>_have_ imagination, it's a bleeding _requirement_.

Point taken. Apologies proffered.

>Someone remind me why I'm doing this again. It certainly wasn't the

>money...

You're doing it because you *love* it.
Go on, admit it.

Sean B Purdy

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
Recently, the esteemed Jeff Scorsone, The...@concentric.network, imparted:
: In article <sa4zqc4...@muscle.rai.kcl.ac.uk>,
: i...@muscle.rai.kcl.ac.uk (I.Dobbie) wrote:

: > I have just read in the newspaper that AOL is launched in the uk today.
: >
: > AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH
: >
: > Cant wait for all those free disks to turn up so that I can start making a new
: > LART out of them.

: >
: > Ian

Free disks turning up? My copy of Wired had a promotional leaflet for
AOL where you have to *clip the coupon* before you get anything like
disks. Oh, and their Mac software isn't ready either, according to the
leaflet.

Just as well, really. I guess the disks will be all over the front of all
the PC mags RSN, though.

Anybody (in UK) seen the ".net magazine Guide to CompuServe" with the free
Compu$erve software on the front? And there'll be the AOL version... and
the MSN version... and the eWorld version....

Still, if it makes fewer Luless Cluesers it can only be a Food Thing.
Um, I mean a Good Thing.

Dyxubf jwtviS~

Sean
--
Sean B Purdy, system administrator se...@fastnet.co.uk
Telephone: +44 (1273) 675314 Fax: +44 (1273) 621631

Sami-Pekka Hallikas

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
Ian Chard (i...@tanagra.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> >> I have just read in the newspaper that AOL is launched in the uk today.
> >America Online in the UK?
> >^^^^^^^
> I think they're calling it "UK Online".
> Whoever said that American ISPs had no imagination had a bloody good point.

I've heared rumours that (A)OL is coming to ALL countries in Europe.. ARGH.
Well. Rummors also sayed that they are called "European OnLine" here..

--
| se...@teleste.fi <A HREF="http://www.teleste.fi/~semi/">Semi's home </A> |
| MAIL MEDIA. Do Not Expose to Flame! Linux... choice of GNU generation |

Gordon Henderson

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
And in todays junk mail I got a flyer for AOL in the UK. Yes, folks, it's real
and it's here to stay.

They didn't send a disk )-: but are offering a freephone number for a disk
and 10 hours online time...

Also, Cable online seem to be at it too - this time they sent me a free disk!
Won't use it for what they sent it for though.

Alas, poor UK. The time has come.

Gordon
--
Gordon Henderson is:
gor...@tcp.co.uk at home

Simon H Le G Bisson

Jan 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/11/96
On 9 Jan 1996 11:46:29 GMT, se...@linux.teleste.fi (Sami-Pekka
Hallikas) wrote:

>I've heared rumours that (A)OL is coming to ALL countries in Europe.. ARGH.
>Well. Rummors also sayed that they are called "European OnLine" here..

Yes, they're going global. AOL Japan and Australia soon according to
inside information (it pays to live with a computer journalst with an
on-line column!).

Europe Online are another company altogether - owned by a conglomerate
controlled by Pearsons and (I'm pretty sure) Hachette...

/225686/lgoldste/Lee Ann Goldstein

Jan 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/12/96
In article s...@huron.eel.ufl.edu, rif...@freenet2.freenet.ufl.edu (Jeff Mercer) writes:

>I only cringe at the poppy parts of the 70's... It's too bad that the pathetic
>little 70's revival sponsorted by drooling corporate greed didn't acknowledge
>the better qualities of the 70's...
>
>Mmmmmmmm.... Black Sabbath.... *smack, drool*

My husband was watching a college football game on tv a few weeks ago, and one of
the bands started playing "Iron Man". Much too weird for me.

> rif...@afn.org : HELP! I've fallen and I can't reach my beer!
> Jeff The Riffer :
> Drifter... :
>Homo Postmortemus :

Have you seen the t-shirt slogan: "One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor" ?