It's been too long

Luis Bruno

Jul 7, 2021, 10:30:13 AM7/7/21
Hey,

I hope this finds yous well in these (almost) unprecedented times.

I used to spend some time in these Hallowed Halls a decade or so ago,
but I've been working at the Chocolate Factory for a bit, and I allowed
it to take over all my attention span.

Well, until this July 4th when I left.

Perhaps I'll be around here more often. It will certainly cure me of the
top-posting habit I got while inside.

Best wishes,
Luis B.

John Dow

Jul 8, 2021, 6:08:03 AM7/8/21
On 2021-07-07, Luis Bruno <im+u...@lbruno.org> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I hope this finds yous well in these (almost) unprecedented times.

Welcome back, matey. It's a bit quiet in here these days. I think
most people have recovered :)

Luis Bruno

Jul 8, 2021, 4:56:37 PM7/8/21
Merci!

Unrelatedly, I saw your headers and went "ooh, I should look into this
eternal-september thingo".

TL;DR: back in 2017 I had already created an account; I'm good at this
executive function trickery :)

poindexter FORTRAN

Jul 9, 2021, 2:12:28 AM7/9/21
To: John Dow
Re: Re: It's been too long
By: John Dow to alt.sysadmin.recovery on Thu Jul 08 2021 11:05 am

JD> From Newsgroup: alt.sysadmin.recovery
JD> Welcome back, matey. It's a bit quiet in here these days. I think

Some have relapsed. :)

I was managing teams, been working with really cool tech on my own recently and
supporting a team of 30 people.

poindexter fortran | pfortran at realitycheckbbs dot org
| http://realitycheckbbs.org
| 1:218/700@fidonet
--- Synchronet 3.19a-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckbbs.org

John Dow

Jul 9, 2021, 10:08:04 AM7/9/21
Ah yes - I run leafnode locally, but I pull a feed from E-S :)

Choobs

mi...@mikea.ath.cx

Jul 13, 2021, 10:46:36 PM7/13/21
John Dow <j...@nelefa.org> wrote in <slrnsegkk...@Knuth.nelefa.org>:

> On 2021-07-08, Luis Bruno <im+u...@lbruno.org.example.com> wrote:

>>> Welcome back, matey. It's a bit quiet in here these days. I think
>>> most people have recovered :)
>>
>> Merci!
>>
>> Unrelatedly, I saw your headers and went "ooh, I should look into this
>> eternal-september thingo".

#!/bin/sh

sepdate() {
perl -e 'print (int((time-746856000)/86400),"\n");'
}

/bin/date "+%a Sep `sepdate` %T %Z 1993"

--
I mean, if it was an obscenity filter, I could understand
it rejecting on, say, 'Windows'.

Stephen Harris

Jul 14, 2021, 6:37:45 AM7/14/21
mi...@mikea.ath.cx wrote:
> #!/bin/sh

> sepdate() {
> perl -e 'print (int((time-746856000)/86400),"\n");'
> }

> /bin/date "+%a Sep `sepdate` %T %Z 1993"

I think you're a day out. 746856000 is Sep 1 1993 04:00:00 UTC,
so you'd display that day as "Sep 0". Similarly you'd display Sep 2 1993
as "Sep 1".

#!/bin/bash

set -- $(date "$@" +"%s %a %X %Z")
case $0 in
*september) o=8643 ; m=Sep ; y=1993 ;;
*covdate) o=18321 ; m=Mar ; y=2020 ;;
*) echo Unknown command
exit
esac
let d=$1/86400-$o
echo "$2 $m $d $3 $4 $y"

% september -d 'Sep 1 1993' ; september
Wed Sep 1 00:00:00 EDT 1993
Wed Sep 10179 06:30:29 EDT 1993

--

rgds
Stephen

Ralph Angenendt

Jul 14, 2021, 6:38:02 AM7/14/21
Well, Roger Bell_West <roger+a...@nospam.firedrake.org> wrote:
> On 2021-07-14, mi...@mikea.ath.cx wrote:
>>sepdate() {
>
> What is this shell function witchery?

Something that works.

> echo $((($(date +%s)-$(date -d 31-aug-93 +%s))/86400)) September 1993

> only four deep parens, should have used more

Would still be gnuish, wouldn't it?

Ralph
--
Übervaterlandverräter und Mutterkornblumenblau

Alexander Schreiber

Sep 2, 2021, 8:08:04 AM9/2/21
Luis Bruno <im+u...@lbruno.org> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I hope this finds yous well in these (almost) unprecedented times.
>
> I used to spend some time in these Hallowed Halls a decade or so ago,
> but I've been working at the Chocolate Factory for a bit, and I allowed
> it to take over all my attention span.
>
> Well, until this July 4th when I left.

Another monk leaving that place ...

> Perhaps I'll be around here more often. It will certainly cure me of the
> top-posting habit I got while inside.

It is an irritating habit that gets to one. As long as one can silo it
to that place, it's not too bad.

Kind regards,
Alex.
looks like work." -- Thomas A. Edison