The 'responsive' web fad

Juancho

Jun 22, 2019, 3:04:03 PM6/22/19
More and more I see SMBs migrating their little corporate websites to
JbeqCerff, with a flashy "responsive" theme.

Ugly as hell. And the contraption eats 100% of one core just to render
that dynamically-expandig, auto-scrolling photo gallery right in the
homepage. Ugggh!

I just hate it. I miss the table-based layout of HTML 4. So very much.

I must be getting old. Even the crappy "myspace-style" was better than
this responsive fad.

Richard Heathfield

Jun 22, 2019, 8:00:14 PM6/22/19
On 22/06/2019 20:03, Juancho wrote:
> More and more I see SMBs migrating their little corporate websites to
> JbeqCerff, with a flashy "responsive" theme.
>
> Ugly as hell. And the contraption eats 100% of one core just to render
> that dynamically-expandig, auto-scrolling photo gallery right in the
> homepage. Ugggh!

Yup - sometimes you just have to can the tab before it takes down the
whole laptop. Nowadays, I keep a shell handy on alt-tab, with a
browser-killing script ready to roll. If the activity light goes
bananas, I alt-tab and hit ENTER (blindly, of course, as the UI is by
now completely unresponsive), and I just pray that the system will run
the script in time to prevent a hard shutdown. Meanwhile, I put the
kettle on.

> I just hate it. I miss the table-based layout of HTML 4. So very much.
>
> I must be getting old. Even the crappy "myspace-style" was better than
> this responsive fad.

It's the triumph of style over substance. Most of these sites have very
little to offer - especially the click-bait sites. One learns to avoid them.

For all their faults, some common sites have not yet succumbed to this
insanity - Wikipedia (and, more generally, Wiki*), IMDB, the BBC news
site, and no doubt others as well.

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

Julian Macassey

Jun 23, 2019, 5:59:43 PM6/23/19
On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 21:03:58 +0200, Juancho <ete...@notreally.com> wrote:
> More and more I see SMBs migrating their little corporate websites to
> JbeqCerff, with a flashy "responsive" theme.
>
> Ugly as hell. And the contraption eats 100% of one core just to render
> that dynamically-expandig, auto-scrolling photo gallery right in the
> homepage. Ugggh!

Some time ago I came to the conclusion that corporate web
sites are ordered and approved by people who are not familiar
with the web, but do watch TV. So they want a site that reminds
them of TV. Moving pictures etc.

Some of my faves are the Fortune 500 sites that are so
content free that they don't even have an HQ address or phone
number.

--
"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be
made in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr