Test

Mike_Duffy

Nov 12, 2019, 10:58:59 PM11/12/19
Test

Mike_Duffy

Nov 13, 2019, 9:37:56 AM11/13/19
On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 08:28:59 -0000 (UTC), Roger Bell_West wrote:

> On 2019-11-13, Mike_Duffy wrote:

>>Test
>
> Failed.

Sorry. I really thought the group was dead. My newsreader showed no
messages. (I think I was too slow on my double-click.) So then I decided to
play with the thing we are not supposed to speak about.

In the dim past, (when I cared for a herd of lusers), I used to post here
when most dialup ISPs provided an NNTP service. When I was forced to move
to one that did not, I lurked in miserable loneliness until I think I had a
motherboard fail, and it was so long before I found a newfangled 32 bit
newsreader that I forgot all about ASR.

Hopefully, my next post will be on-topic. Finding myself in want of some
loose cash, I applied on a network management job yesterday. That got me
reminiscing about the group and I could not resist checking if it was still
active. Just looking at the header dates shows that if it is not dead,
someone should call a priest just in case.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

Scott

Nov 13, 2019, 10:33:44 AM11/13/19
On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 14:37:50 +0000, Mike_Duffy <Lo...@Website.in.sig>
wrote:

>active. Just looking at the header dates shows that if it is not dead,
>someone should call a priest just in case.

The Monastery shares the fortunes of its medium. There are a few of us
left. It's not easy keeping the place properly festooned with cobwebs,
and the spiders are better company than some of my clients.

c...@mailhost.netunix.com

Nov 13, 2019, 12:11:22 PM11/13/19
Many of the denizens have migrated to a Faceplant group Monks of the
Scary Devil Monastery.
Time is also taking its toll, many of us are long since retired.

Julian Macassey

Nov 13, 2019, 2:03:50 PM11/13/19
On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 14:37:50 +0000, Mike_Duffy <Lo...@Website.in.sig> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 08:28:59 -0000 (UTC), Roger Bell_West wrote:
>
>> On 2019-11-13, Mike_Duffy wrote:
>
>>>Test
>>
>> Failed.
>
> Sorry. I really thought the group was dead. My newsreader showed no
> messages. (I think I was too slow on my double-click.) So then I decided to
> play with the thing we are not supposed to speak about.

This may be your problem:

--
"What I can't figure out is why he (Steve Jobs) is even trying
(to be the CEO of Apple)? He knows he can't win." - Bill Gates, June 1998

Garrett Wollman

Nov 13, 2019, 3:41:10 PM11/13/19
In article <qqhdfo$itt$1...@news.albasani.net>, <c...@mailhost.netunix.com> wrote:

>Many of the denizens have migrated to a Faceplant group Monks of the
> Scary Devil Monastery.

Many of the other denizens wouldn't touch Farcebook with a ten-meter
pole. Some can be found on the tweeter, including Paul T., Mike A.,
and Peter C., to my certain knowledge, and probably others.

>Time is also taking its toll, many of us are long since retired.

/me has another 18 years to go before that becomes an issue.

-GAWollman

wol...@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is

vallor

Nov 14, 2019, 8:46:16 AM11/14/19
Thanks for the heads-up about the FP group.

A system that isn't doing anything but idle:

$ uptime
05:43:15 up 1065 days, 18:09, 1 user, load average: 0.18, 0.11, 0.02

(old mail server)

--
-v

Paul Tomblin

Nov 14, 2019, 9:11:27 AM11/14/19
In a previous article, wol...@bimajority.org (Garrett Wollman) said:
>In article <qqhdfo$itt$1...@news.albasani.net>, <c...@mailhost.netunix.com> wrote:
>>Many of the denizens have migrated to a Faceplant group Monks of the
>> Scary Devil Monastery.
>
>Many of the other denizens wouldn't touch Farcebook with a ten-meter
>pole. Some can be found on the tweeter, including Paul T., Mike A.,
>and Peter C., to my certain knowledge, and probably others.

I'm on Facebook (reluctantly), Quora (obsessively), Twitter, here, the
heirarchy whose name we do not mention, and MeWe (expectantly).

--
Paul Tomblin <ptom...@xcski.com> http://blog.xcski.com/
"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: What more could you ask of life?"

Juancho

Nov 14, 2019, 6:14:13 PM11/14/19
On 14/11/19 15:11, Paul Tomblin wrote:
> I'm on Facebook (reluctantly), Quora (obsessively), Twitter, here, the
> heirarchy whose name we do not mention, and MeWe (expectantly).

You have too much presence, IMHO.

On the other hand, I'm just on email. That's more than enough.

--
EOT.

The Horny Goat

Nov 14, 2019, 9:43:48 PM11/14/19
On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 17:11:20 +0000 (UTC), <c...@mailhost.netunix.com>
wrote:
Thank you for the tip - though given some of the famous comments
remember the Monastery relocating to Facebook 5 years ago would have
been said to be as likely as Hillary Clinton converting to Islam.....I
can think of other parallels if some of the more tender monks are
offended

Peter Corlett

Nov 16, 2019, 3:17:18 AM11/16/19
<c...@mailhost.netunix.com> wrote:
[...]
> Many of the denizens have migrated to a Faceplant group Monks of the Scary
> Devil Monastery. Time is also taking its toll, many of us are long since
> retired.

Many (including myself) also migrated to The Other Place. At least some of us
would rather Recover permanently than have to sign up to FaceHook.

Alexander Schreiber

Nov 16, 2019, 10:10:06 AM11/16/19
<c...@mailhost.netunix.com> <c...@mailhost.netunix.com> wrote:
> Scott <nob...@example.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 14:37:50 +0000, Mike_Duffy <Lo...@Website.in.sig>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>active. Just looking at the header dates shows that if it is not dead,
>>>someone should call a priest just in case.
>>
>> The Monastery shares the fortunes of its medium. There are a few of us
>> left. It's not easy keeping the place properly festooned with cobwebs,
>> and the spiders are better company than some of my clients.
>
> Many of the denizens have migrated to a Faceplant group Monks of the
> Scary Devil Monastery.

Not all of us. Some are resisting the pull of that misbegotten place.

> Time is also taking its toll, many of us are long since retired.

Not all of us, again ;-)

Not dead yet,
Alex.
looks like work." -- Thomas A. Edison

Julian Macassey

Nov 16, 2019, 4:40:41 PM11/16/19
The Other Place is the result of Eternal September.
Wherelse would the clowns congregate?

--
"i have over 4000 emails, pictures, addresses, sms... people just submitted
it. i don't know why. they 'trust me.' dumb fucks" - Mark Zuckerberg

Dan Holdsworth

Nov 18, 2019, 12:08:03 PM11/18/19
On 2019-11-13, Garrett Wollman <wol...@bimajority.org> wrote:
> In article <qqhdfo$itt$1...@news.albasani.net>, <c...@mailhost.netunix.com> wrote:
>
>>Many of the denizens have migrated to a Faceplant group Monks of the
>> Scary Devil Monastery.
>
> Many of the other denizens wouldn't touch Farcebook with a ten-meter
> pole. Some can be found on the tweeter, including Paul T., Mike A.,
> and Peter C., to my certain knowledge, and probably others.
>
>>Time is also taking its toll, many of us are long since retired.
>
> /me has another 18 years to go before that becomes an issue.

I suspect I may be recovered sooner than that. Certain mental traits
of mine may force semi-recovery at some point.

--
Dan H.

Richard Bos

Nov 18, 2019, 12:14:50 PM11/18/19
<c...@mailhost.netunix.com> wrote:

> Scott <nob...@example.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 14:37:50 +0000, Mike_Duffy <Lo...@Website.in.sig>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>active. Just looking at the header dates shows that if it is not dead,
> >>someone should call a priest just in case.
> >
> > The Monastery shares the fortunes of its medium. There are a few of us
> > left. It's not easy keeping the place properly festooned with cobwebs,
> > and the spiders are better company than some of my clients.
>
> Many of the denizens have migrated to a Faceplant group Monks of the
> Scary Devil Monastery.

Over my dead body.

Richard

Wojciech Derechowski

Nov 18, 2019, 7:16:12 PM11/18/19
The location of which along with the helpful short description will be promptly
advertised to the funeral homes and/or churches in the area.

WD
--
Who is Entscheidungs and what is his problem?

The Horny Goat

Nov 19, 2019, 10:07:45 AM11/19/19
On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:40:38 -0000 (UTC), Julian Macassey
<jul...@tele.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 08:17:16 -0000 (UTC), Peter Corlett
><ab...@mooli.org.uk> wrote:
>><c...@mailhost.netunix.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Many of the denizens have migrated to a Faceplant group Monks of the Scary
>>> Devil Monastery. Time is also taking its toll, many of us are long since
>>> retired.
>>
>> Many (including myself) also migrated to The Other Place. At least some of us
>> would rather Recover permanently than have to sign up to FaceHook.
>>
> The Other Place is the result of Eternal September.
>Wherelse would the clowns congregate?

Pardon my ignorance but which other place? Surely not twotter

Juancho

Nov 19, 2019, 5:08:13 PM11/19/19
I'm listening too.

--
EOT.

Alexander Schreiber

Nov 19, 2019, 5:40:05 PM11/19/19
All ears, I am.

Kind regards,

Niklas Karlsson

Nov 20, 2019, 6:58:08 AM11/20/19
On 2019-11-19, Alexander Schreiber <a...@usenet.thangorodrim.de> wrote:
> Juancho <ete...@notreally.com> wrote:
>> On 19/11/19 16:07, The Horny Goat wrote:

>>> Pardon my ignorance but which other place? Surely not twotter
>>
>> I'm listening too.
>
> All ears, I am.

My feed of it suddenly went up in smoke some years ago.

Niklas
--
'Damn and blast British Telecom,' shouted Dirk, the words coming easily from
force of habit.