where to find pdp8e programming articles

will...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2022, 10:14:48 PM1/26/22
Anybody know of any good sources for articles discussing programming a pdp8e (pal iii, 4k basic, etc)?

Johnny Billquist

Jan 27, 2022, 8:39:01 AM1/27/22
On 2022-01-27 04:14, will...@gmail.com wrote:
> Anybody know of any good sources for articles discussing programming a pdp8e (pal iii, 4k basic, etc)?

What kind of "discussing"? If you want to learn a bit on how to program
on a PDP-8 (in assembler), the "Introduction to Programming" book is a
good start.
http://bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp8/handbooks/DEC-08-XINPA-A-D_intrPgm_75.pdf

There are additional handbooks which do cover some aspects of other
languages and operating system environments as well. Check around in
that directory and others on bitsavers.

Johnny

Scott Lurndal

Jan 27, 2022, 10:12:43 AM1/27/22
"will...@gmail.com" <will...@gmail.com> writes:
>Anybody know of any good sources for articles discussing programming a pdp8e (pal iii, 4k basic, etc)?

The "Small Computer Handbook" on bitsavers.org.

William Cattey

Jan 27, 2022, 11:43:05 AM1/27/22
After working through examples from "Introduction to Programming," and feeling like you've mastered the basics,
I recommend diving into some source code and learning how others do it.

I cut my teeth as a high school student on a source listing of the EDU-200 BASIC interpreter.

The code wasn't always the best, but it was a great learning experience to see how someone else cut up
a complex problem and distilled it into PAL8.

-Bill

Tim

Jan 27, 2022, 12:50:29 PM1/27/22
We progressed to looking at the code for TSS-8 as it was available to us in "big" binders. There are still parts I do not fully understand. :)

will...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2022, 3:28:31 PM1/27/22
I see where I went wrong - what I meant was - were there any magazine or user group/newsletters type articles. Were there any community efforts to provide tidbits to new users? I saw the DECUS software list for the PDP8, so that's a start, but a lot of those programs look like specialized utilities that came along early, early days (1965-1970). There are later contributions, but they too are specialized. I was thinking something along the lines of the old BASIC rags - find primes with sieve of Eratosthenes or pick a number between 1 and ten type stuff :).

William Cattey

Jan 27, 2022, 3:42:49 PM1/27/22
On Thursday, January 27, 2022 at 3:28:31 PM UTC-5, will...@gmail.com wrote:
> I see where I went wrong - what I meant was - were there any magazine or user group/newsletters type articles. Were there any community efforts to provide tidbits to new users? I saw the DECUS software list for the PDP8, so that's a start, but a lot of those programs look like specialized utilities that came along early, early days (1965-1970). There are later contributions, but they too are specialized. I was thinking something along the lines of the old BASIC rags - find primes with sieve of Eratosthenes or pick a number between 1 and ten type stuff :).

You probably want the 12-bit SIG newsletter, then:
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/decus/pdp8/12-bit_SIG/
Note that issues 1-28 are in the "fiche" subdirectory.

will...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2022, 5:08:45 PM1/27/22
Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!