PDP-8/E Simulator 2.5 can play Spacewar

Bernhard Baehr

Oct 3, 2022, 10:29:33 AM10/3/22
The PDP-8/E Simulator now has a VC8-E Point Plot Display System plug-in with two VR20 oscilloscopes (actually there are two versions of the plug-in with the default I/O address 05 and the alternative I/O address 15), so it can run Spacewar. (See https://www.bernhard-baehr.de/pdp8e/quickstart20.html#spacewar for instructions.)

Beside that, there are some small improvements: The I/O flags bit array (pdp8→IOFLAGS) is now an atomic variable to avoid sporadic loss of done flags when they are set simultaneously by two devices from different threads, e. g. the VC8-E and the RTC. Small adjustments for macOS 13 “Ventura” (esp. the Preferences window no longer grows with every switch of a preferences pane) and other minor bug fixes. The Help menu items now open more reliable in Help Viewer with current macOS versions.

And finally the simulator now contains Don Baccus’s os8pip utility (https://github.com/dhogaza/os8pip).

As always, you can download the new version from https://www.bernhard-baehr.de/pdp8e/pdp8e.html.

Bernhard