ROMs for the Intersil Intercept 6912 CPU card?

Bob Armstrong

Sep 26, 2022, 3:11:49 PM9/26/22
That's about it - does anybody have a dump of the ROMs for the Intercept 6912 CPU card? A source listing would be even better, but I'd settle for a binary dump.

Some background to avoid confusion - Intersil made two different Intercept bus CPU cards. The earlier 6902 ("CPUTTY") card had just a 6100 and a 6402 UART, plus associated glue logic. There were no ROMs on this card, and it was intended to work with the 6903 classic lights and switches front panel. There were 256 words of ROM on that latter card, but the listings for these are published in the Intercept manual. Not what I need.

The later 6912 ("CPUCTL") card had a 6100, 6102 MEDIC, two 6101 PIEs, and two 6402 UARTs. If had a "soft" ODT style front panel and also code to emulate DEC standard IOTs using the PIEs. I believe there were 4KW worth of ROMs on this card. These are the ROMs I'm looking for. I have the manual and schematic for the card, but there are no listings.

Thanks,
Bob

Rob Catlin

Jul 3, 2023, 2:13:07 PM7/3/23
Hi Bob,

I have a recently re-disocvered a 6912 card and I just got working. I have yet to learn the resident ODT well enough to dump the ROMs, but will work on that. The ROMs in question are labeled "6912-3E IM6312-219" and "6912-4E IM6312-220". I should be able to dump them and grab the contents using PUTTY as my terminal.
Do you have a board you're trying to get working? Or are you simply curious about the code?
I also have a 32Kx12 DRAM card that I designed for the Intercept system while I worked at Intersil (oh so many years ago). AND I have documentation for the Intercept floppy disk board (schematic and principals of operation). I discovered this post as I was looking to see if there are any IFDOS floppy images out there. Looks like I might be outa luck there.

Regards,
Rob

Bob Armstrong

Jul 4, 2023, 12:26:54 PM7/4/23
On Monday, July 3, 2023 at 11:13:07 AM UTC-7, Rob Catlin wrote:
I have yet to learn the resident ODT well enough to dump the ROMs, but will work on that.

Hi Rob,

I can send you a scan of the manual for the Intercept system, including the 6912 CPU card and the firmware. It’s about 7Mb in PDF.

To answer your question, I have an original Intercept chassis, but no CPU card for it. Mine is the older 3-1/2” chassis that had actual lights and switches on the front panel, and it was designed to work with the older 6902 CPUTTY card instead. I was thinking about laying out and building my own CPU card for it, and I’d like to include the 6102 MEDIC in that design so that I can have 32k of memory. I have schematics for the 6912 card (they’re in the manual) but no firmware binary or source listing, and that’s why I’m interested.

Dave McGuire

Jul 12, 2023, 8:44:03 PM7/12/23
On 7/4/23 12:26, Bob Armstrong wrote:
> I have yet to learn the resident ODT well enough to dump the ROMs, but will work on that.
>
> I can send you a scan of the manual for the Intercept system, including the 6912 CPU card and the firmware. It’s about 7Mb in PDF.
>
> To answer your question, I have an original Intercept chassis, but no CPU card for it. Mine is the older 3-1/2” chassis that had actual lights and switches on the front panel, and it was designed to work with the older 6902 CPUTTY card instead. I was thinking about laying out and building my own CPU card for it, and I’d like to include the 6102 MEDIC in that design so that I can have 32k of memory. I have schematics for the 6912 card (they’re in the manual) but no firmware binary or source listing, and that’s why I’m interested.

Bob, we have an Intercept III system at LSSM, does that use the same
CPU board? If so, we should be able to dump those ROMs.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire, President/Curator
Large Scale Systems Museum

Bob Armstrong

Jul 13, 2023, 9:44:53 AM7/13/23
On Wednesday, July 12, 2023 at 5:44:03 PM UTC-7, Dave McGuire wrote:
> Bob, we have an Intercept III system at LSSM, does that use the same
> CPU board? If so, we should be able to dump those ROMs.

Thanks, Dave - yes, the Intercept III - that's the 3U (I think) chassis with the cards inserted vertically - should use the same 6912 CPU card. There's no need, though - Rob already sent me a dump of his ROMs.

Bob

Dave McGuire

Jul 13, 2023, 10:21:55 AM7/13/23
On 7/13/23 09:44, Bob Armstrong wrote:
>> Bob, we have an Intercept III system at LSSM, does that use the same
>> CPU board? If so, we should be able to dump those ROMs.
>
> Thanks, Dave - yes, the Intercept III - that's the 3U (I think) chassis with the cards inserted vertically - should use the same 6912 CPU card. There's no need, though - Rob already sent me a dump of his ROMs.

Ahh ok, I'm glad you got it sorted.