What to do with my VAX.....

Bill Gunshannon

Oct 17, 2020, 10:08:07 AM10/17/20

....now that VMS is going to be come persona non grata.

It has been decades, but, I used to work with an OS written by
Tannenbaum called Amoeba. A couple of grad students did a thesis
project on it using Sparcstations and it was really impressive to
watch it run. I had forgotten that it also ran on the VAX. Might
be fun to put it on my stack of VAXStations and see what it might
do.

By the way, for those who think that VMS is the only real share
everything clustering system, Amoeba was really good about sharing.
Too bad, like so many academic endeavors, people got bored with it
and it withered on the vine. Like Plan9 and Inferno.

bill

Bill Gunshannon

Oct 17, 2020, 10:09:32 AM10/17/20
Oops, wrong group, sorry.

bill

Grant Taylor

Oct 17, 2020, 1:44:30 PM10/17/20
On 10/17/20 8:09 AM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> Oops, wrong group, sorry.

What group did you intend to post to?

I might be interested in reading some things there to learn something
new. :-)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Bill Gunshannon

Oct 17, 2020, 3:33:21 PM10/17/20
On 10/17/20 1:44 PM, Grant Taylor wrote:
> On 10/17/20 8:09 AM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>> Oops, wrong group, sorry.
>
> What group did you intend to post to?
>
> I might be interested in reading some things there to learn something
> new.  :-)

comp.os.vms, of course. :-)

bill

Grant Taylor

Oct 17, 2020, 10:06:57 PM10/17/20
On 10/17/20 1:33 PM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> comp.os.vms, of course.  :-)

Thank you for the information Bill. :-)