PDP-11 Emacsen?

Lars Brinkhoff

Oct 24, 2016, 12:21:26 PM10/24/16
Hello,

I'm collecting old versions of Emacs:
http://github.com/larsbrinkhoff/emacs-history/

My definition of "old" isn't set in stone, but let's say maybe those
started before 1986.

Since that overlaps the heyday of the PDP-11, I'm looking for
information about Emacs clones running on the 11. Does anyone know
if the ones below are still available?

- BBN PEN.

- BTL Emacs, by Warren Montgomery. (Evolved into CCA Emacs.)

- More?

Thanks!

John Hudak

Oct 25, 2016, 8:29:49 PM10/25/16
Are you looking for versions only for DEC targets or others? eg, symbolics machines, PCs, etc. ohhhh, NM, you stipulated 11s....sorry bout that...

Lars Brinkhoff

Oct 31, 2016, 10:10:17 AM10/31/16
> I'm looking for information about Emacs clones running on the 11.
> Does anyone know if the ones below are still available?
>
> - BBN PEN.
> - BTL Emacs, by Warren Montgomery. (Evolved into CCA Emacs.)

I'll add:

- EMACS-11, by Fred Fish. Runs on top of PDP-11 TECO.

Richard

Nov 1, 2016, 4:26:20 PM11/1/16

Lars Brinkhoff <lars...@nocrew.org> spake the secret code
<867f8oa...@molnjunk.nocrew.org> thusly:
Ah, Fredh Fish. I remember his "Fish Disks" for the Amiga 1000 fondly.

I had no idea he was a teco hacker!

<http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/academic/computer-science/history/pdp-11/teco/emacs11/>
The Terminals Wiki <http://terminals-wiki.org>
The Computer Graphics Museum <http://computergraphicsmuseum.org>
Legalize Adulthood! (my blog) <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com>

Lars Brinkhoff

Nov 3, 2016, 4:31:43 AM11/3/16
John Hudak wrote:
> Are you looking for versions only for DEC targets or others? eg,
> symbolics machines, PCs, etc. ohhhh, NM, you stipulated 11s....sorry
> bout that...

I am! What do you have? :-)

Walter F.J. Müller

Aug 25, 2022, 4:37:19 AM8/25/22
On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 6:21:26 PM UTC+2, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm collecting old versions of Emacs:
> http://github.com/larsbrinkhoff/emacs-history/

Just saw this post, nice collection. If the collection also covers clones
(editors with Emacs feel but without LISP and extendability) JOVE would
also qualify. JOVE == Jonathan's Own Version of Emacs written by Jonathan Payne.
The 1983 version of this Emacs clone is included in 2.9BSD, see
https://www.retro11.de/ouxr/29bsd/usr/contrib/jove/
The full glory 1986 version is included in 2.11BSD, see
https://www.retro11.de/ouxr/211bsd/usr/src/new/jove/
and the man page under
https://www.retro11.de/ouxr/211bsd/usr/new/man/cat1/jove.0.html

If clones don't qualify, just take it as a side note.

Lars Brinkhoff

Aug 25, 2022, 7:53:10 AM8/25/22
Walter F.J. Müller wrote:
>> I'm collecting old versions of Emacs:
>> http://github.com/larsbrinkhoff/emacs-history/
> Just saw this post, nice collection. If the collection also covers clones
> (editors with Emacs feel but without LISP and extendability) JOVE would
> also qualify. JOVE == Jonathan's Own Version of Emacs written by
> Jonathan Payne.
> The 1983 version of this Emacs clone is included in 2.9BSD

Thank you. I do include some clones, especially early ones. JOVE
sounds like it should be an excellent addition.

Three Jeeps

Aug 25, 2022, 8:41:56 AM8/25/22
hello:
I am currently on holiday but have a version for LMI, Ti Explorer, Vax, and PC. The first three are on tape and I'll try to read them. The PC is on a floppy. I'll contact you in a few weeks with an update.

Bob Eager

Aug 25, 2022, 1:48:51 PM8/25/22
My first contact was using a program called Perfect Writer in 1984; part
of a suite including Perfect Calc (spreadsheet using EMACS key bindings)
and Perfect Filer (a simple database). Perfect Writer was, of course,
just an editor (loosely based on MINCE), and included a formatter/markup
language based on SCRIBE. Not much was customisable.

I still use MicroEMACS quite a bit. Never got into vi (pah!) as when I
started with UNIX, it didn't exist. I am still pretty good with ed,
though.

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Johnny Billquist

Aug 26, 2022, 3:50:29 AM8/26/22
Just as a nitpick - the original Emacs I think should definitely qualify
as Emacs. But LISP extendability does not exist there. That only
happened with GNU Emacs (or arguably Gosling Emacs), which is not the
original.

Johnny