Google Groups shutting usenet feed

Jonathan Harston

Dec 18, 2023, 12:39:32 PM12/18/23
Usenet has been swamped with span for years now, and Google Groups
is pulling the plug on the usenet feed. Ironically as most of the spam
has come from the Google Groups feed rather than the other way.

I've been dipping into usnet less and less because I tend to access it
through Google from whatever computer I happen to be sat in front of,
and the experience and content has been getting steadily worse.

Where are people here migrating to?

jgh

Scott Lurndal

Dec 18, 2023, 1:28:24 PM12/18/23
I don't plan on migrating anywhere so long as there is an NNTP
server running somewhere.

Lars Brinkhoff

Dec 19, 2023, 12:22:07 AM12/19/23
Jonathan Harston wrote:
> Where are people here migrating to?

You can migrate off Google Group to Usenet services like these:

http://www.eternal-september.org/
http://news.dotsrc.org/

Andy Valencia

Dec 25, 2023, 6:04:35 PM12/25/23
Jonathan Harston <j...@mdfs.net> writes:
> Where are people here migrating to?

I mostly use: eternal-september.org

news.individual.net has worked well for me in the past--it's
a paid service based in Germany, and some billing hassles trying
to get a payment through forced me back to eternal-september

Andy Valencia
Home page: https://www.vsta.org/andy/
To contact me: https://www.vsta.org/contact/andy.html

bill

Dec 25, 2023, 8:20:50 PM12/25/23
On 12/25/2023 6:03 PM, Andy Valencia wrote:
> Jonathan Harston <j...@mdfs.net> writes:
>> Where are people here migrating to?
>
> I mostly use: eternal-september.org
>
> news.individual.net has worked well for me in the past--it's
> a paid service based in Germany, and some billing hassles trying
> to get a payment through forced me back to eternal-september

Interesting. I use PayPal and it is simple and trouble free.

bill