problem with a RL01 drive

Mikesch

May 25, 2022, 2:46:35 PM5/25/22
Hello,
I've a RL01 drive with the following errors:

Pressing LOAD SpinUp starts and after approx. 20 sec FAULT light went on - heads don't go in!

Posit.systems works (without cardtridge) retracks to track 0 strong on manual leaving track zero and emergency retracktion works.

Here is the another problem:

Also at standstill the Posit.system is getting very hot (takes 15 min) and you can smell a little bit electric.

DC servo power voltages 5V +/- 8V are ok but +V and -V are only 13,87 V - that's to low should be greater 14 Volts.

Changed the DLM from another drive - same result with FAULT after spinUp. The DLM works fine in my other drive.

I'm looking for a spare DC servo board in my storage tomorrow.

Any idea's what's the reason for this error?

regards

Michael

Mikesch

May 26, 2022, 7:03:28 AM5/26/22
Done!

Got the RL01 up and running.

Causes:

Home sensor with contact problems and poorly adjusted.
- Follow constant "pulling" of the posit. towards the home position.
- Follow high current of Pos. damage DC Servo Board
- Consequence of heat generation
- Defective power transistor on the DC servo board
and depending on the vibration, the home switch worked or not. - Stupid hardware error!

But the fact that I had a spare DC servo board and a spare home microswitch here solved the problem.
(I have good spare parts here from 4 RL drives with broken motor or rust and similar damage)

Spare parts storage is important with now 3 x RL01 and 6 x RL02 - but they all work at the moment and I still have 9 air filters original packed and sealed from DEC.

regards

Mikesch