Need 11/93 repair

Jerry D

Nov 17, 2022, 10:56:18 AM11/17/22
I have an 11/93 (M8981-AA KDJ11-EA) that has shown an error alarm 000002 under testing. I assume that this is a repairable fault but I have neither the knowledge nor expertise. Can anyone recommend a facility/person that is in the business/hobby of repairing vintage DEC cards and what I might expect to pay for said services??

Jon Schneider

Nov 17, 2022, 11:56:35 AM11/17/22
On 17/11/2022 15:56, Jerry D wrote:
> I have an 11/93 (M8981-AA KDJ11-EA) that has shown an error alarm 000002 under testing. I assume that this is a repairable fault but I have neither the knowledge nor expertise. Can anyone recommend a facility/person that is in the business/hobby of repairing vintage DEC cards and what I might expect to pay for said services??

You should mention your location.

Jon

Jerry D

Nov 17, 2022, 11:59:30 AM11/17/22
Sorry, I'm in the US, Massachusetts to be specific.

Michael Lesychyn

Nov 28, 2022, 5:45:50 PM11/28/22
You might want to be a little more explicit in terms of what specific error alarm and what testing? Is this an LED/Diagnostic/Specific Test error which is generated during the self-test at power-up of the board or is this another test of the system the board is integrated into? I would recommend taking a read through the DEC User Manual for the KDJ11-E on bit-savers (EK-KDJ1E-UG-001) if you have not already, Chapter 4 may have a clue to the issue you are experiencing if it is with the board.

Cheers,
Michael

Johnny Billquist

Dec 1, 2022, 11:14:55 AM12/1/22
Fully agree. It's really hard to say anything based on this.

During a normal boot, the machine will be displaying a count down of
codes in the 7-segment display. But there, if you see a 2, it's not an
error, but that the booting is now trying to boot from code in the eeprom.
It could possibly stay there for ever.

You you run the built-in diagnostics, I don't think it can show an error
code of 2. And if it's when running some other tests, or software, it
would be really helpful to know what.

Also, a very silly thing to point out. There is a small lithium battery
on the CPU board. Have that ever been replaced? I don't think you'd get
an error if not, but just in case...

Johnny