RT-11 Terminal Woes

will...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2022, 1:53:25 PM3/3/22
I'm sure this is easy, but it's driving me batty trying to figure it out. I am booting RT-11, v5.1 and when booting in simh off the rl0, in my terminal window it shows:

sim> b rl0

$[?1;2c
Welcome to RT-11 Version 5.1.

However, if I try it in xterm, it properly displays the screen without the ESC sequences being show. Also, if I run it in MacTerm (not to be confused with the os delivered Terminal) with the Base Term set to VT220, it is pretty, too.

Is anybody able to get screen emulation to work properly in Mac's Terminal.app? I seem to remember having this problem a long time back, but I don't remember the solution.

Thanks,

Will

Dennis Boone

Mar 3, 2022, 11:21:53 PM3/3/22
> $[?1;2c

This is the "I'm a VT100 with AVO" response to a "Send Device
Attributes" request. The fact that it comes from the terminal side
might explain why different terminal emulators behave differently.

But I can't explain why one of them is causing this to be displayed,
other than the likelihood of incorrect emulation.

De

Jerry Weiss

Mar 4, 2022, 12:01:30 PM3/4/22
In command file that is run at boot time (STARTx.COM) there is a program generated or other interrogation of the terminal, with the response as Dennis mentions. If there is no program ready to accept this response, then will I suspect it will echo back to the terminal while the command file is executing. I've see this occasionally, but cannot reproduce it at the moment.

If you are at the RT-11 prompt (.), KMON (the keyboard monitor) accepts this response silently and erases the screen.

Jerry