RT11 subdirectories

Jonathan Harston

Mar 11, 2021, 2:36:39 PM3/11/21
Was there ever anything written for RT11 to implement subdirectories?
Eg MZ1:DIR\DIR\FILE.EXT or anything? I have a vauge memory of
reading somewhere somebody writing "...the inconvenience of
everybody's files all in the same place, so we...."

auurghh!! what's happened to GoogleGroups????

jgh

Roger Ivie

Mar 11, 2021, 8:53:59 PM3/11/21
On Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 11:36:39 AM UTC-8, j...@mdfs.net wrote:
> Was there ever anything written for RT11 to implement subdirectories?
> Eg MZ1:DIR\DIR\FILE.EXT or anything?

what you're looking for is the LD driver, logical disk subsetting. this lets
you create a file, mount it as an LD device, and use that file as if it were
a disk.
--
roger ivie
roger...@gmail.com

Ian Hammond

Mar 11, 2021, 9:49:26 PM3/11/21
It's entirely do-able. RUST/SJ, an RT-11 compatible O/S, has a
fairly complete system-level support for multi-level sub-directories,
including logical names and the usual CD, MD, RD commands.

David Jenner

Mar 12, 2021, 12:23:29 AM3/12/21
Yes, LD. I implemented a "multiuser system" by selecting to boot up
into an LD for each defined user of the system. Worked like a charm. I
wish I had saved a tape of it all...