Linux / KLH10 high CPU utilization

PoBe

Sep 9, 2019, 2:02:21 PM9/9/19

When starting to play around with the Panada /KLH 10 distribution on Linux (long time ago) the emulator behaved well and the CPU consumption was "normal". At some point I built it for a new machine and the emulator used 99-100% of the CPU (on one core). I can not remember what was specific with the machine or the Linux dist (was about 6-8 years ago) Ever since I have noticed the issue with full utilization, on Intel and ARM (PI) with different Linux distributions.

I have scanned through various forums and seen that people from time mention this issue. But I have never seen any explanation, is there any idea what is causing this? Is there a fix? I have tried with and without network connections but that does not change anything.

I have not cared too much before. I have just started the emulator at special occasions on a multi core machine and done what I needed and the closed it down when being done.

Now I would like to have the emulator up more permanent on a PI. Even if I could dedicate the machine to be a KLH10 server it does not feel right in heart to have it running at 100% utilization.

PoBe

Message has been deleted

PoBe

Sep 10, 2019, 3:02:25 AM9/10/19

I think I found a solution.

compiling the the base-kl with the flags $(TINTFLAGS) and $(DINTFLAGS) makes the emulator to cool down and still run clean.

I got the impression that these flags will let the emulator emulate the virtual clock time and put the cpu in suspend mode when there is no work. Otherwise I guess there will be like more of a null job that constantly checks for interrupts. On a multi core setup this might be fine and even the prefererad approach.

I guess the later approach gives better performance and a closer to real behavior. However I think I can live with a more sluggish behavior for the time being.

PoBe

Message has been deleted

Lars Brinkhoff

Sep 10, 2019, 3:04:45 AM9/10/19
PoBe wrote:
> When starting to play around with the Panada /KLH 10 distribution on
> Linux (long time ago) the emulator behaved well and the CPU
> consumption was "normal". At some point I built it for a new machine
> and the emulator used 99-100% of the CPU (on one core).

Based on you email address, I'll venture a Hej!

KLH10 requires that you

1. Configure the "host device". Something like
"devdef idler ub3 host addr=777000".

2. Patch the operating system to use it. I only know how to do this for
ITS.

For more details, read the dvhost.txt file distributed with KLH10.

> Now I would like to have the emulator up more permanent on a PI. Even
> if I could dedicate the machine to be a KLH10 server it does not feel
> right in heart to have it running at 100% utilization.

I addition to cordiac discomfort, it will also make the Raspberry Pi
warn that it's running hot.

PoBe

Sep 10, 2019, 2:49:54 PM9/10/19
Hej och tack :-)

I'm so far happy with my new recompiled version. Seems to work both on X86 and the ARM platform.

On the ARM (PI3) platform the KLT20 process utilize around 2% of the CPU when being idle. The memory usage is about 3.7% (out of 1 GB).

I have the ni0 interface up an running over the wired port, WiFi is disabled.

The ni0 is started in shared mode which allow me to SSH in to the Linux dist and telnet into the TOPS20 from the outside world :-) I can receive mail but cannot send mail since my ISP does not allow port 25 traffic (require a smarthost). I have a sendmail server and I do not know if I can route mail through that one to the world. I can send mail to recipients on the inhouse mail server. Next thing to look into :-)