How was KA-10 memory physically arrainged?

fishtoprecords

Mar 13, 2021, 9:15:15 PM3/13/21
I remember that in 1975 or so, First Data had one KA-10 and at least one KI-10 in their 400 Totten Pond Road facility. The KA-10 had 192 KW of core memory.

The wise guys at First Data said that it had been the biggest KA in the world, but by then, it was just the longest. I don't know the length, but I remember that it was a very long way from the console to the end of the memory racks. I assume they were just standard 19" racks.

How much core was in an early KA memory rack?
If there was 16KW per rack, it would be 12 racks. Which would be about 20 feet long. If they were 32KW each, it would be only 6 racks, which probably is not enough to be "the world's longest"

Rich Alderson

Mar 13, 2021, 10:55:53 PM3/13/21
fishtoprecords <pat2...@gmail.com> writes:

> I remember that in 1975 or so, First Data had one KA-10 and at least one
> KI-10 in their 400 Totten Pond Road facility. The KA-10 had 192 KW of core
> memory.

> The wise guys at First Data said that it had been the biggest KA in the
> world, but by then, it was just the longest. I don't know the length, but I
> remember that it was a very long way from the console to the end of the
> memory racks. I assume they were just standard 19" racks.

There's your first mistake. The MA-10 through MH-10 memories wer all 30" racks.

> How much core was in an early KA memory rack?
> If there was 16KW per rack, it would be 12 racks. Which would be about 20
> feet long. If they were 32KW each, it would be only 6 racks, which probably
> is not enough to be "the world's longest"

I believe, but have not checked, that the MA-10 was 8KW. If it were 16KW,
192KW would be 30 feet long; if 8KW, 60 feet.

OK, I took a look at the 1982 Processor Reference Manual, as well as the KA-10
Processor Manual. The former states that the MA-10 was 16KW, but the latter
states that memory came in 8KW or 16KW modules.

So anywhere between 30 and 60 feet long, if arranged linearly.

--
Rich Alderson ne...@alderson.users.panix.com
Audendum est, et veritas investiganda; quam etiamsi non assequamur,

gah4

Mar 14, 2021, 7:50:14 PM3/14/21
On Saturday, March 13, 2021 at 7:55:53 PM UTC-8, Rich Alderson wrote:

(snip)

> There's your first mistake. The MA-10 through MH-10 memories wer all 30" racks.

(someone wrote)
> > How much core was in an early KA memory rack?
> > If there was 16KW per rack, it would be 12 racks. Which would be about 20
> > feet long. If they were 32KW each, it would be only 6 racks, which probably
> > is not enough to be "the world's longest"

> I believe, but have not checked, that the MA-10 was 8KW. If it were 16KW,
> 192KW would be 30 feet long; if 8KW, 60 feet.

> OK, I took a look at the 1982 Processor Reference Manual, as well as the KA-10
> Processor Manual. The former states that the MA-10 was 16KW, but the latter
> states that memory came in 8KW or 16KW modules.

I never got to see it, but I remember stories about both DEC and non-DEC
memory on the same KA-10. I don't remember by now the actual amount.

Sarr Blumson

Mar 14, 2021, 10:56:02 PM3/14/21
Rich Alderson <ne...@alderson.users.panix.com> Wrote in message:
> fishtoprecords <pat2...@gmail.com> writes:> I remember that in 1975 or so, First Data had one KA-10 and at least one> KI-10 in their 400 Totten Pond Road facility. The KA-10 had 192 KW of core> memory.> The wise guys at First Data said that it had been the biggest KA in the> world, but by then, it was just the longest. I don't know the length, but I> remember that it was a very long way from the console to the end of the> memory racks. I assume they were just standard 19" racks.There's your first mistake. The MA-10 through MH-10 memories wer all 30" racks.> How much core was in an early KA memory rack?> If there was 16KW per rack, it would be 12 racks. Which would be about 20> feet long. If they were 32KW each, it would be only 6 racks, which probably> is not enough to be "the world's longest"I believe, but have not checked, that the MA-10 was 8KW. If it were 16KW,192KW would be 30 feet long; if 8KW, 60 feet.OK, I took a look at the 1982 Processor Reference Manual, as well as the KA-10Processor Manual. The former states that the MA-10 was 16KW, but the latterstates that memory came in 8KW or 16KW modules.So anywhere between 30 and 60 feet long, if arranged linearly.-- Rich Alderson ne...@alderson.users.panix.com Audendum est, et veritas investiganda; quam etiamsi non assequamur, omnino tamen proprius, quam nunc sumus, ad eam perveniemus. --Galen

My exceedingly unreliable memory believes that the Ampex memory
came with at least 32 and maybe 64kw racks, This would have been
necessary because the KA memory bus was daisy chained and 12
racks wouldn't have worked.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/