Fortran

gah4

Feb 28, 2022, 9:26:28 PM2/28/22
I was recently wondering about Fortran compiles for more recent
(than 1977) versions of the standard.

That would be most useful for ones that would run on TOPS-20,
though possibly for cross compilers.

While the standard conveniently leaves the bit width out
of the standard, and even the radix (any integer radix
greater than one), very few compilers now use other than
eight bit bytes.

This would be a test on how well those have been forgotten.

Richard C

Mar 3, 2022, 6:08:36 PM3/3/22
My build systems for TOPS-10 all include Fortran, Cobol, and other packages pre-installed. As I complete the Tops20 systems I will move them out there.

http://sky-visions.com/dec

Rich

gah4

Mar 3, 2022, 6:50:15 PM3/3/22
On Thursday, March 3, 2022 at 3:08:36 PM UTC-8, Richard C wrote:

(snip)

> My build systems for TOPS-10 all include Fortran, Cobol, and other packages pre-installed.
> As I complete the Tops20 systems I will move them out there.

I remember Fortran-10 as the Fortran 66 compiler. It could have been updated to Fortran-77,
but I don't remember that.

More interesting would be a Fortran 90 or 95 compiler.

But also interesting would be gcc and gfortran for the PDP-10. I believe that code
generators were there are one time, but maybe too long ago.

Richard C

Mar 3, 2022, 8:48:21 PM3/3/22

> I remember Fortran-10 as the Fortran 66 compiler. It could have been updated to Fortran-77,
> but I don't remember that.
>
> More interesting would be a Fortran 90 or 95 compiler.
>
> But also interesting would be gcc and gfortran for the PDP-10. I believe that code
> generators were there are one time, but maybe too long ago.

No Fortran 90 or 95 compilers that I know of. Fortran-10 is 77 compatible. I also have Fortran-IV for Tops10.

GCC has been ported to generate PDP-10 code. I don't think it will run native. But there are several C compilers for the PDP10.

Rich