TOPS-20 MDL FLOAD Error

David Meyer

Sep 8, 2016, 7:36:01 PM9/8/16
Playing with the old Lisp-like language MDL (actually MDL105) on TOPS-20 on an simulated PDP-10, I get the following error whenever I try to load source code from a file with <FLOAD "file-name">:

?:$ FATAL ERROR FIXUP FILE NOT FOUND $

The result is the same if I specify file-name as "FILE", "FILE.MUD", or "<DIRECTORY>FILE.MUD".

I encountered a similar error playing with Maclisp on the same system recently, and in that case it was a matter of needing a particular logical name to point to a particular directory where Maclisp modules were stored, but I don't seen anything that looks like a collection of MDL modules on the system, and I've been unable to find anything helpful in MDL documentation.

Any guesses? Any of the Zork Fathers lurking here?

Rich Alderson

Sep 8, 2016, 8:08:08 PM9/8/16
David Meyer <papa...@gmail.com> writes:

> Playing with the old Lisp-like language MDL (actually MDL105) on TOPS-20 on=
> an simulated PDP-10, I get the following error whenever I try to load sour=
> ce code from a file with <FLOAD "file-name">:
>
> ?:$ FATAL ERROR FIXUP FILE NOT FOUND $
>
> The result is the same if I specify file-name as "FILE", "FILE.MUD", or "<D=
> IRECTORY>FILE.MUD".
>
> I encountered a similar error playing with Maclisp on the same system recen=
> tly, and in that case it was a matter of needing a particular logical name =
> to point to a particular directory where Maclisp modules were stored, but I=
> don't seen anything that looks like a collection of MDL modules on the sys=
> tem, and I've been unable to find anything helpful in MDL documentation.
>
> Any guesses? Any of the Zork Fathers lurking here?

If I remember correctly, the logical name in question is MDL:, and you might as
well point it at DSK: (the connected directory) or at SYS: (which is probably
not as good a target).

CStacy, you reading this?

--
Rich Alderson ne...@alderson.users.panix.com
Audendum est, et veritas investiganda; quam etiamsi non assequamur,

David Meyer

Sep 9, 2016, 12:18:43 AM9/9/16
Thanks, Rich, but defining MDL: as DSK:, SYS:, or <GAMES> (where MDL105.EXE is stored) makes no difference.

David Meyer

Mar 11, 2022, 6:14:24 PM3/11/22
On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 1:18:43 PM UTC+9, David Meyer wrote:
> Thanks, Rich, but defining MDL: as DSK:, SYS:, or <GAMES> (where MDL105.EXE is stored) makes no difference.

Taking a look at MDL again on the new Toad-2 reincarnation of twenex.org, I encountered the same problem. I came back to this thread and thought some more about Rich's advice, and hit on the solution:

EITHER specify the full file specification DEV:<DIR>NAME.TYP of the MDL source to FLOAD (no need to define MDL:; .TYP can be omitted if ".MUD").

OR define logical name MDL: to point to the source file DEV:<DIR>. If FILE.MUD is in my login directory, then on twenex.org I have to set MDL: to PUBLIC:<PAPA>. Then <FLOAD "FILE"> works as advertised.